Rails of Sheffield - fantastic new showroom

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Rails have upped the ante on visiting a model shop with this establishment but I wonder if taking swmbo might be such a good idea as she might see the price of some of their goodies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unsprung OLEO buffers to you!

If they sell 'em, I'll buy 'em!

(Well, sprung ones, please, with extra milk).

:jester:

Seriously, I do think that slick, ultra-modern and professional presentation of the hobby in this way is an excellent way to attract potential new custom, so full marks to them for what must have been a considerable investment. I wonder (in an idle, not-being-nosy and rhetorical way) how long the pay-back period is, as would probably have been calculated to support their business case for the new premises.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep it’s true that good model Railway shops are becoming days out in themselves. Good to see that Rails taking this on board. Just wish we had a Rails of Glasgow!

How much is that Sulzer in the window?
The one with the wiggly wheel
I do hope that Sulzer's for sale

I must take a trip across to Sheffield
Not leaving my poor wallet at home
If I buy that Sulzer, I won't be lonesome
And the loco will have a good home

I read in the papers there are models
With headlights that shine in the dark
I really need a Sulzer to haul wagons
And runs without a flash or a spark

I don't want a Brush 4 or a Deltic
I don't want DCC that grunts
I don't want a rake of shiny Pullmans
I just want a Sulzer that shunts

The one with the wiggly wheel
I do hope that Sulzer's for sale (and that it's not a dog !!!!)

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Rails have upped the ante on visiting a model shop with this establishment but I wonder if taking swmbo might be such a good idea as she might see the price of some of their goodies.

They'll have two displays, the one that SWMBO sees "That loco is quite reasonable, dear" and the one with the real prices on! :jester:

Keith

• Like 1

Don't be deluded, she knows everything already. A well presented shop with friendly and helpful staff is a winner. We are for example going back to TMC when we visit her aunt and uncle (who live near Pickering) in the autumn, because she had so much fun there. Fortunately TMC didn't detect her liking for Pullman cars.

• Like 1

Seriously, I do think that slick, ultra-modern and professional presentation of the hobby in this way is an excellent way to attract potential new custom, so full marks to them for what must have been a considerable investment. I wonder (in an idle, not-being-nosy and rhetorical way) how long the pay-back period is, as would probably have been calculated to support their business case for the new premises.

They're more hospitable than me; I would be standing there with a cattle prod today warning everyone to keep their sweaty noses and greasy fingers off the steelwork and glass. :)

• Like 2

Yes, the new shop looks fab. I don't think that I will be leaping on a train from London for a day trip, but if I was nearby I would certainly make a detour. (The high level track circuits made me think of Hamleys, although its been a long time since I shopped there!)

I also recently discovered that I can see all my orders/preorders online. Don't know if this is new, or if i only just discovered something that has been there for a while. But it is helpful to see that I have inadvertently duplicated an order, perhaps not surprising given the time that some models take to appear!

I took a trip to Rails last year whilst in Sheffield and was a little disappointed that like Hattons it's shop face was somewhat lacking so this new approach is to be welcomed, if I'd had more time today I would have popped in between trains back to Manchester from Derby.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to John, Brian and the whole Rails team for inviting us over for the grand unveiling. We were delighted to hand deliver the production sample of the Rails Limited / Railway Museum special edition HOP 24 pack which received lots of positive comments.

Really great to see Andy again and have a chat and meet Stationmaster too!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

They are cordially invited to open a branch in South Devon, especially if they also serve good coffee and have comfy chairs on hand for customers.

I'd go there.

And a scone tea - with the clotted cream over jam, of course!

• RMweb Gold

Wow, those premises look astounding.

I remember John, when I was 18 and did some swap meets to make ends meet at Uni and frequently was alongside Rail’s stall in various halls in the NW/Midlands. I interviewed him as part of my thesis at University on the hobby.

Never would I imagine a retail store like this then.

It’s such a positive side of the hobby.

I’ll be dropping in next time I go that way for sure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately Andy managed to capture no more of me that a distant glimpse of the back of my head in that video - which is the bit with hair so quite acceptable.  Excellent video Andy and I think it really brings out what John and co are doing with their new showroom/shop area which was extremely impressive and shows great faith in being a 'high street' model shop.  Rails is a good distance away from me so hardly my 'local shop' but they are showing what investment in retail premises can do.  Oh and it was a really well managed 'opening day' for which Rails and their caterers are due considerable credit.

Rails is a good distance away from me so hardly my 'local shop' but they are showing what investment in retail premises can do.  

I think it's interesting to consider the benefits of such investment. Firstly there will be a curiosity factor which draws people in locally and indeed from further afield. With the more distant visitor it probably matures into future distance sales on a repeat basis. As mentioned in the video it's a bit of destination shopping where you wouldn't be embarrassed to take partners/children/grandchildren. Most model shops probably have a catchment area but I would say upping their game like this increases that catchment area without any physical movement.

Fortunately Andy managed to capture no more of me that a distant glimpse of the back of my head in that video - which is the bit with hair so quite acceptable.  Excellent video Andy and I think it really brings out what John and co are doing with their new showroom/shop area which was extremely impressive and shows great faith in being a 'high street' model shop.  Rails is a good distance away from me so hardly my 'local shop' but they are showing what investment in retail premises can do.  Oh and it was a really well managed 'opening day' for which Rails and their caterers are due considerable credit.

Were you in attendance for, perhaps, a R&D meeting about a Western Region prototype perchance Mike?  ;)

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Were you in attendance for, perhaps, a R&D meeting about a Western Region prototype perchance Mike?  ;)

CoY

I was indeed in attendance but was really only there to have good look at the new showroom and to partake of some of the excellent proffered refreshments.  While I spoke to various manufacturers etc (see the Accurascale thread) they were - as one would expect - all sensibly tight lipped; it was not that sort of occasion.  The only products which took centre stage were the NRM (Locomotion) NCIM Stirling Single in its delectable, and highly desirable, latest pre-production version and the Rails Dynamometer car which, also in latest pre-production state, actually arrived on the day and joined the Single on the demo track as seen in Andy's video.

• Like 4