Rails of Sheffield - fantastic new showroom

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I think it's interesting to consider the benefits of such investment. Firstly there will be a curiosity factor which draws people in locally and indeed from further afield. With the more distant visitor it probably matures into future distance sales on a repeat basis. As mentioned in the video it's a bit of destination shopping where you wouldn't be embarrassed to take partners/children/grandchildren. Most model shops probably have a catchment area but I would say upping their game like this increases that catchment area without any physical movement.

To give this some perspective....now that Mike's come out of the closet ( !! )....I had better declare my presence too. Just on the the subject of accessibility the little known Derbyshire Wayfarer day rover cost (from Burton on Trent....yes I know it's in Staffordshire but it can be used from here,Uttoxeter and all over the county of Derbys to Sheffield which as any skoolboy no is in South Yorks.) the sum of £6.30 .Heeley Bottom where Rails is situated is a £6.00 taxi fare from the station.Or you can walk up to Arundel Gate....uphill all the way so be sure your pacemaker battery is topped up....for most buses.Only one service operates from the Interchange which is reasonably close to the station.Keith and I were fortunate to catch that one on the return from just ....nearly...opposite Rails.I should explain that Keith had open heart surgery last June and wasn't up to the schlepp uphill.Besides which it would have wasted too much time.

Add to all Andy and Mike have posted.Great hospitality and company.Fabulous jolly for the boys

P.S. Return journey ran 20 minutes late.Apparently an incident on the XC 221 at Wakefield where the train was assaulted by two individuals attempting to apply graffiti to it from the platform. You couldn't make it up.could you ?

• Like 1

The last time I visited Rails was a few months before I retired, a cold January day. I had a job to plan in Glossop, so I thought I'll nip over the Pennines to Sheffield. I found the shop, (which was also excellent back then) and bought what I wanted. Around 4pm I was westbound on Woodhead and it started to snow - horizontally & heavilly straight at me !! I must admit to being a little scared - but I got over and was glad to be off the moors and onto the M67 Motorway at Mottram. Later that night the Woodhead road was closed due to snow.

Wild place is Woodhead even on the best of days. The name still gives me shivers - I wish the electrics still ran though !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

We are pleased to confirm that our new "Emporium" showroom is now open! With hundreds of new and second hand items on display it is well worth a visit.

To celebrate the opening of the showroom we have had a special wagon commissioned by Dapol. Limited stock available whilst stocks last. £9.95 each

See the wagon here

(Please note the new showroom will be closed on Wednesday 16/05/18 for filming. The main shop will be open as usual)

post-31247-0-72670400-1526299953_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-57176900-1526299961_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-41867900-1526299969_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-62797400-1526299977_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-85430300-1526299986_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-28874700-1526299995_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Is that the old secondhand area in full use now?

Makes me realise that it is nearly a couple of years since I have been into the city and called in to Rails, and that I first shopped there way back when it was just a tiny shop in the early 80s?? (Hornby 27xx pannier tank I think  that time;) 

• RMweb Premium

The emporium and the lighting in particular reminds me of a wine cellar. Install a few racks of wine in a corner and you have somewhere to leave the SWMBO while you browse/shop. By the time you're ready to leave with all your purchases, she'll be sufficiently relaxed and happy not to care/realize how much you've spent on model trains. All round win!

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The emporium and the lighting in particular reminds me of a wine cellar. Install a few racks of wine in a corner and you have somewhere to leave the SWMBO while you browse/shop. By the time you're ready to leave with all your purchases, she'll be sufficiently relaxed and happy not to care/realize how much you've spent on model trains. All round win!

Business opportunity here.Rails branded cut steel customised wine racks...bottles delivered by overhead rail track on wine carriers designed and built by Accurascale and hauled by Locomotion Rapido Stirling Single....you wish!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

They are cordially invited to open a branch in South Devon, especially if they also serve good coffee and have comfy chairs on hand for customers.

I'd go there.

The Captains Pasty & Pannier shop

• Like 1

Hello everyone

I went to new showroom and I say f h and wow by plenty of diesel and steam locomotives on display by most secondhand and few new of N gauge to 0 gauge and two train running around top by one - 00 and one - 0 and I was sit on that and I haven’t no idea and I found by what I see that by oleo buffet by I was sit on oleo buffet

I was visited from 1985 to now from Rails of Sheffield

Edited by class37418stag
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I haven't visited Rails for over a year now and having seen the images of the refurbishment it now looks stunning - I'll have to pay a visit sometime ... what's happened to the test tracks which were near the shop's entrance in the old setup?

Edited by gc4946

I haven't visited Rails for over a year now and having seen the images of the refurbishment it now looks stunning - I'll have to pay a visit sometime ... what's happened to the test tracks which were near the shop's entrance in the old setup?

The old set-up is still in place, the new showroom is in addition.