Askrigg - 1950’s on the Wensleydale Branch

Tom F

Morning all

From being someone who modelled the ex LNER for many years, 4 years ago I decided to do something completely different and began building my first proper layout, of Cwm Prysor, on the Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog branch. The layout was always a test bed for trying out different ideas. August 2017, my Grandad (although I called him Dad) passed away with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. I'd been his carer for the past 2 and half years, but ultimately he was my best friend.

Cwm Prysor was always connected to him, he loved Snowdonia and in the latter days of his illness I would take him on day outs to Snowdonia. Since his passing it's been difficult to face Cwm Prysor, so my mind has turned to a new project which has helped to get my modelling mojo back.

For me, (and I blame Tony Wright for this) I have to model a real location, I get a kick out of modelling a place I'm far too young to have seen in it's prime. The location in question is Askrigg, in Wensleydale. I live very close by, and I've always had an interest in the branch. Most of the buildings are still there for reference (including the station and goods shed).

Yesterday, I had an enjoyable visit by Red Leader of Grantham.....and jwealleans of wagon building fame! Red leader's visit was planned for us to discuss my new project and how it could be incorporated into my shed (20ft by 12ft). Red Leader has sketched out some interesting ideas, and the one I like incorporates most of the shed and allows more than just the station to be modelled, but also the open stretch of line between Askrigg and Hawes that crosses the River Ure on a girder bridge.

post-24300-0-67595000-1526216320_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-56725300-1526216333_thumb.jpg

Red Leader and jwealleans inspect the goods shed!

post-24300-0-17905400-1526207440_thumb.jpg

For the time being, during this planning stage, I'm working on some of the stock. I've a J39 body on the workbench which I'll be fitting a comet chassis underneath, plus a North Eastern Tender behind (ex Raven A2). Next month I'll be heading down to Tony Wright's for further work on the Alexander Models J21 (65038, another Wensleydale local).

post-24300-0-30373500-1526207773_thumb.jpg

Some of you may be wondering what is to happen to Cwm Prysor. In the next couple of months I'll be moving the scenic section up into Dad's old room. It can be worked on inside when I feel like it, plus it's near to where he spent the latter days of his life. It also frees up the space required for the new layout in the shed.

Cheers

post-24300-0-17905400-1526207440_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-30373500-1526207773_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-67595000-1526216320_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-56725300-1526216333_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 10

As seen on Wright Writes. Two locos to be destined for Askrigg (as photographed by Tony Wright on Little Byham).

K1 (at the time not numbered but to be 62044), Hornby model with modified coal space alterations to depict pre 1955, plus Gibson pony wheels. 62044 was regularly used on the branch in the 1950s on pick up goods, and was a long term resident of 51J (Northallerton).

post-24300-0-02839900-1526224123_thumb.jpg

B1 61061 has had a a touch more work primarily the removal of the Hornby chimney, and the replaced with a Dave Bradwell casting. 61061 was allocated to Darlington, and although I've no evidence of it on the branch....there is nothing to say a loco couldn't have been borrowed by Northallerton, or to be used on a special (troop train to Catterick).

post-24300-0-85859100-1526224123_thumb.jpg

Both locos are now due to be weathered before the final addition of a Pacific Models front number plate, the K1 now has it's cab side numbers.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 12

Tom,

When you upgrade the J39 will you be modifying the front cylinder covers?

I thinking about detailing my J39 and putting an NER tender behind it - but I think these 5 locos has a single cover plate and not the two covers on the Bachmann model. I’m not quite sure how to modify these - hence my question.

By the way - that branch looks like a nice subject for a layout.

Jon

Tom,

When you upgrade the J39 will you be modifying the front cylinder covers?

I thinking about detailing my J39 and putting an NER tender behind it - but I think these 5 locos has a single cover plate and not the two covers on the Bachmann model. I’m not quite sure how to modify these - hence my question.

By the way - that branch looks like a nice subject for a layout.

Jon

Hi Jon

I wasn't aware of the issue with the front cylinder covers. I'll have to have a look in my Yeadon.

Hi Tom

It’s on page 17 - numbers 1475 to 1479 were the ones with the ex A2 tenders. They were also fitted with the single cover to the steam chests.

I’m think that the modification is: remove step, fit strip of platikard between existing covers, fit new step. I’m not looking forward to trying to get the strip of plastikard to fit properly though!

Jon

After some research yesterday, it appears the J39 I'm going to be modelling 64978 doesn't have ex A2 type tender, and has the same cylinder cover arrangement as the Bachmann model (not overly clear in this photo, but clearer in another I have).

post-24300-0-29125100-1526367554_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

After some research yesterday, it appears the J39 I'm going to be modelling 64978 doesn't have ex A2 type tender, and has the same cylinder cover arrangement as the Bachmann model (not overly clear in this photo, but clearer in another I have).

attachicon.gifIMG_0517.JPG

Tom

I have emailed you about this but I will repeat here for wider viewing.

All this data is in the LNER "green books" Vol 6A. 

J39s received tenders from several ageing NER classes.

1. From A2s 4125 gallon (self trimming). These locos got 8 wheel tenders. 

2. From B13s & D17s 3940 gallon (Non self trimming)

3, From D21 & C7s(2) 4125 gallon (non self  trimming). Note these tenders had 6" footplate angles rather than the normal 3".

64978 had one from a D21.

The actual engines concerned are all listed in the aforementioned book.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

Thank you Arthur, I haven’t got the RCTS book to hand (left it at home). I’ll have a look tonight.

Regarding the cylinder fronts. After talking with jwealleans off forum I think that all Bachmann models are missing the lozenge shaped plate the cylinder ends rest on. I think I would maybe add a thin piece of microstrip on the underside and top side of the cylinder ends to visually recreate the look, even though technically wrong.

Tom the tender could come from Dave Bradwell as he sells the 3038gal and the 3940/4125 which is the small and larger NER tenders. They do go together very nicely and run beatifully. They are a challange if your not accustomed to brass but saying that the skills can be gained and with the help of the members here. It is quite practical to achieve a very personal model!

• Like 1

Tom the tender could come from Dave Bradwell as he sells the 3038gal and the 3940/4125 which is the small and larger NER tenders. They do go together very nicely and run beatifully. They are a challange if your not accustomed to brass but saying that the skills can be gained and with the help of the members here. It is quite practical to achieve a very personal model!

Hi Doug

I’m in no particular rush (I’ve the comet chassis to build yet) so I’m going to wait until Arthur’s tender kit becomes available later in the year.

Tom - I'm just back from hols so only now have found this thread.

Way back there was a lovely article by Iain Rice in MRJ No 34, entitled Gresley's Drone - the J39, which started as an attempt to improve the original Wills Finecast kit. It ended with him scrapping most of and starting anew.

As I recall one of the problem areas was the cylinder covers so he might throw some light on this. If you like I'l seek it out and send you a copy

Cheers,

Ian

Tom - I'm just back from hols so only now have found this thread.

Way back there was a lovely article by Iain Rice in MRJ No 34, entitled Gresley's Drone - the J39, which started as an attempt to improve the original Wills Finecast kit. It ended with him scrapping most of and starting anew.

As I recall one of the problem areas was the cylinder covers so he might throw some light on this. If you like I'l seek it out and send you a copy

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes that would be interesting to read. I will have a look tonight whether I have no 34 and let you know if not. I’d like to pop around again for an operating session on Bradford North Western whenever it is convenient for you.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I am aware Dave Bradwell doesn't do the style of tender photographed behind 64978.

ArthurK

Hi Ian

Yes that would be interesting to read. I will have a look tonight whether I have no 34 and let you know if not. I’d like to pop around again for an operating session on Bradford North Western whenever it is convenient for you.

Tom, I am afraid that my early MRJs, including No 34, seem to have gone walkabout (you've seen my railway room so will understand...)

You, and any other modeller in the Askrigg area, will be very welcome to have session on BNW. I'm actually having a session with another friend on Friday afternoon but I guess you will be teaching then? I'm generally free most evenings so please let me know when you would like to come.

Ian

Arthur, the tender does cover a large number of the variants, There is a number of the different coal rails included in the kit, along with the D shaped cut outs and also the Oval cut outs in the chassis frames.  

The David Bradwell J39 kit looks interesting but this might be more suited to P4 and EM. One day I might find my unbuilt kit box empty and buy one for myself. I built a Comet J39 kit to P4 a large number of years ago now. even though it looked like a banana the loco runs very nicely!  

The David Bradwell J39 kit looks interesting but this might be more suited to P4 and EM. One day I might find my unbuilt kit box empty and buy one for myself. I built a Comet J39 kit to P4 a large number of years ago now. even though it looked like a banana the loco runs very nicely!  

Morning Doug

Yes, I had looked into a Bradwell Chassis but felt it was a bit beyond me at this time, for someone who is just getting into chassis building. I have managed though to pick up one of those Great British Locomotive J39 and removed the rather nicely formed (and removable) boiler underside, which will fit nicely under the Bachmann body.

Tom, I am afraid that my early MRJs, including No 34, seem to have gone walkabout (you've seen my railway room so will understand...)

You, and any other modeller in the Askrigg area, will be very welcome to have session on BNW. I'm actually having a session with another friend on Friday afternoon but I guess you will be teaching then? I'm generally free most evenings so please let me know when you would like to come.

Ian

Not to worry Ian, I’ll pick a copy up (always worth increasing the MRJ collection).

I’ll drop you an email about popping over for an operating session.

A short 10 minute drive tonight took me to one of the areas I intend to model on the layout. The area is infact around 3.5 miles from Askrigg station, but due to a scenic break in the layout plan that Red Leader is working on, this area and the approach to Hawes can be modelled.

The place is in fact what is photographed at the top of this thread, where the G5 is seen crossing the River Ure. The hillside with the trees on is called 'the Knolls', but the land on this side of the river is known as Burthersett Bottoms. Sadly there are no footpaths in or around this area of the Dale, so I had to use the telephoto lens tonight.

post-24300-0-29422300-1526498177_thumb.jpg

On my side of the river are a couple of over bridges which have sadly lost their tops. I presume they were of the girder type, and thankfully one survives on the line a bit closer to home which I can use as reference.

post-24300-0-20944100-1526498278_thumb.jpg

What remains of the bridge that spanned the River Ure. I'm sure I read this was the most costly engineering feature of the North Eastern Railway section of the branch (however I do wonder, as the bridge over the Swale at Morton on Swale near Northallerton looks a bigger structure).

post-24300-0-34398200-1526498397_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-94586500-1526498402_thumb.jpg

Final shot showing the bridge remains, the Ure and the hamlet of Sedbusk alongside of the fell of High Clint.

post-24300-0-54789000-1526498688_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 7

Couple more photos of the trackbed from tonights walk just out of Bainbridge. Even had sheep on the line!

post-24300-0-36101900-1526586132_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-95741400-1526586143_thumb.jpg

What a stunning line it must have been to travel on!

• Like 11

After revisiting Right Track 1 last night, I’m going to crack on with the Comet J39 chassis later today. Keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Will be first chassis I’ve built that’s not slot and tab so from that aspect it will be interesting. I’ve an avonside jig (never used before but had it years), so hopefully it should go together ok.

Chassis building on hold, as I've realised the chassis has never arrived, I'd presumed it had due to lots of items arriving in the last few weeks. Workbench tidied this afternoon, and I've made up the intentio modelling tray, ideal for if I'm modelling downstairs.

post-24300-0-42077600-1526840171_thumb.jpg

I've also got the Avonside jig out of the box finally (it's only taken me 6-7 years.....)

post-24300-0-69701600-1526840170_thumb.jpg

Seems to all makes sense and I'm looking forward to starting using it!

• Like 5

Chassis building on hold, as I've realised the chassis has never arrived, I'd presumed it had due to lots of items arriving in the last few weeks. Workbench tidied this afternoon, and I've made up the intentio modelling tray, ideal for if I'm modelling downstairs.

attachicon.gif33030965_10155803779637984_3181370576379838464_n.jpg

Seems to all makes sense and I'm looking forward to starting using it!

That modelling tray looks good. I usually end up making two or three trips to my workshop when I bring a smaller project indoors in the evenings. Try to keep the family happy by not secreting myself away in a shed for too long!!

Marlyn

Edit: just showed this post to my daughter and she reminded me she had made a modelling tray at school for her Warhammer figures when she was 15 years old. She loved painting the miniatures, but not interested in the gaming side... and has now given the tray to me! Sorry to digress from your main thread!

post-33019-0-29151400-1526917773_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

That modelling tray looks good. I usually end up making two or three trips to my workshop when I bring a smaller project indoors in the evenings. Try to keep the family happy by not secreting myself away in a shed for too long!!

Marlyn

Edit: just showed this post to my daughter and she reminded me she had made a modelling tray at school for her Warhammer figures when she was 15 years old. She loved painting the miniatures, but not interested in the gaming side... and has now given the tray to me! Sorry to digress from your main thread!

attachicon.gif41D2DB8A-579E-4357-8509-5C027A912D7C.jpeg

Lovely piece of kit there Marly, and being made by your daughter makes it that extra bit special!

Hopefully the chassis should be here by the end of the week or by next week at the latest.  In the meantime, I've had another look at the allocation of locomotives at Northallerton MPD in the early 1950's.....there was an N10 between 1951 and 1952. Doesn't seem out of the realms of fantasy it could have worked up the Hawes Branch on a pick up goods.