Askrigg - 1950’s on the Wensleydale Branch

Tom F

Couple more photos of the trackbed from tonights walk just out of Bainbridge. Even had sheep on the line!

attachicon.gifDSC02359.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC02371.jpg

What a stunning line it must have been to travel on!

Those sheep can be a pretty fearsome lot - they clearly don't like people using 'their' railway.

post-16151-0-00815500-1527969640_thumb.jpg

Line gets even more impressive as it gets towards Garsdale.

post-16151-0-83809500-1527969690_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-82609000-1527969699_thumb.jpg

I guess this is the line's most spectacular structure - but the Midland Railway were responsible for this one.

I envy my stepfather (and those of his generation) who once went on a railtour (1955) from Manchester, out via Blackburn, Hellifield, Sedburgh to Tebay. Thence to Kirkby Stephen and over the Stainmore route to Darlington. Quick sprint down to Northallerton then home via the Wensleydale branch to Garsdale and down S&C to Hellifield. What price a day out by rail like that today?

Just working on the plan now; aiming to get it to you in next few days ;)

• Like 7

<spoiler mode on>

Tom, I can't help thinking that to do justice to the line it needs to be set within that superb scenery (which I have the privilege of exploring every day with my border terriers).

Which means either an enormous shed or 2mm scale.  :jester:

<spoiler mode off>

Ian

Ian

Those sheep can be a pretty fearsome lot - they clearly don't like people using 'their' railway.

attachicon.gifGarsdale 007.jpg

Line gets even more impressive as it gets towards Garsdale.

attachicon.gifGarsdale

006.jpg

attachicon.gifGarsdale

005.jpg

I guess this is the line's most spectacular structure - but the Midland Railway were responsible for this one.

I envy my stepfather (and those of his generation) who once went on a railtour (1955) from Manchester, out via Blackburn, Hellifield, Sedburgh to Tebay. Thence to Kirkby Stephen and over the Stainmore route to Darlington. Quick sprint down to Northallerton then home via the Wensleydale branch to Garsdale and down S&C to Hellifield. What price a day out by rail like that today?

Was this viaduct known as Apperset Viaduct

J

Just working on the plan now; aiming to get it to you in next few days ;)[

Edited by Mrkirtley800

I will follow you progress on this one as I have been studying the branch for the past 30 years or so.

As yet, I have not come across a J39 running on the branch though. Do you know something I don't, or does rule 1 apply ?.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Partly rule 1 perhaps, but more so off looking what locos were allocated to Northallerton in the early 1950's. The fact three were there for a short time, made me figure it wasn't out of the question for one to be rostered on the pick up goods.

Looks like a wonderful layout in the making here set in an area I here very fond memories . Certainly a line that I have often considered modelling  myself especially with TMC commissioning the G5 locomotive which I believe was a regular on the line. I will follow your progress with interest 

Looks like a wonderful layout in the making here set in an area I here very fond memories . Certainly a line that I have often considered modelling  myself especially with TMC commissioning the G5 locomotive which I believe was a regular on the line. I will follow your progress with interest 

Thank you

It's going to be a long project and the making of stock is a break from the welsh layout on hold.

New stock should keep the flame going in the background :)

• Like 2

Look forward to following this layout as it develops, quality modelling set in beautiful countryside and you don't even have to make your own location names up, Burthersett Bottoms indeed.

• Like 1