Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a Hypothetical Magnum Opus

I am fairly sure that this will have been discussed on RMweb in the past, but it never hurts to reopen interesting debates. As my modelling mojo shows no sign of returning; having abandoned me in the first few weeks of this year, I have been musing on what layout I would build if time, money, space and skillset were not limited. Ergo, if I had Bernard's watch, a blank cheque, an empty Ally Pally, and access to all the finest modelling craftsman of our age: what would I build?  

I have, for the moment, settled on a 1:76 (probably to P4 standards!) rendition of the GWML from Paddington Station to Old Oak Common, set around 1947. I would have Kings, Castles, Stars and Counties on heavy West of England, South Wales and Birmingham expresses featuring plenty of 70ft stock of all design styles. I would have 61xx's on suburban passenger trains, 57xx's and the first of the 94xx's fussing around as station pilots. I would have the Paddington goods station fully modeled, with panniers putting together a long van train for a 47xx to take off into the night, as a 28xx arrives. I would also ensure that the Hammersmith and City Line was modeled in the background, as well as the Grand Union Canal further West. 

I would model the station up to and including Praed Street, inclusive of the Great Western Hotel, and the Lawn would be seen courtesy of a glass-less roof (think the excellent Liverpool Lime Street), and Old Oak Common would be there in full, with all roundhouses, the coaling plant, and the carriage sidings (complete with enough coaching stock so as to be true to life!).

And yes, Bishop's Bridge Road would have a double decker bus on it...

What would you go for?

CoY

• Like 6

That would be nice, but, personally, I think I'd prefer it about 1880 - broad gauge, Rovers, Gooch goods etc.

Though actually I'd probably go for a more rural scene - GWML maybe, but a medium size through station in very extensive landscape. Or even a branch, or one of my favourite light railways, in lots of landscape, and a whole modelled market town maybe.

(All P4 too - unless there really is a lot of room, then S7)

But if there's really 'world enough and time' then no need for those craftsmen, all my own work. And in the next millenium.......

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ok, as space and everything else is unlimited.

The Cornish mainline from Saltash to Penzance,

with all the junction stations, and

scenic breaks between them. Also including

the stations at the end of each branch,

and possibly intermediate stations,

again with scenic breaks.

Big enough???

• Like 2

It has to be God's Own County.

Nostell on the old Great Northern lines. Continuous running. Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics mixing with austerities and early 60s diesels.

Full length trains.

Landscaping to Pendon standards.

In 7mm.

... As my modelling mojo shows no sign of returning; having abandoned me in the first few weeks of this year, I have been musing on what layout I would build if time, money, space and skillset were not limited...

Given such Putinesque scale resources I feel a Stirling single built to modern engineering standards coming on, and my own private railway on which to drive it from home to favoured restaurant, pub etc., all superbly maintained by an expert staff. If climate control proves out of reach, I'll build a second system in NZ for the alternating fine weather down under.

Personally, I love operating model trains to a timetable on a track network which is still a long way from getting even the rudimentary scenic trappings that might begin to qualify it as a model railway. It may never get bullt to that status, but I don't care because I can operate a representative service using the typical trains seen in the KX inner sub area in the steam to diesel transition period. It's doing something that brings relaxation and enjoyment that matters I would suggest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If I were to receive a blank cheque and a large hall there are two projects I have in mind, all be it both of which I hope to build to one degree or another (all be it with a degree of compression).

To satisfy my modern modelling, I want a continuous run set on the Cornish Mainline in 1998 (but with the capability of running in the 1980s as well). The plan would be for a model of Bodmin Parkway with a decent length of Mainline either side, it would give the mix of Clay stock on the main, HSTs, loco hauled passenger, a good mix of DMUs. Whilst also allowing for classic diesels and steam on the Bodmin branch and Enterprise pickups of VGAs from the lighting works. I am building up stock for it, so one day it might happen as an exhibition layout...

For a steam layout it would have to be a model of Yatton station, with the end of two branches as well as Mainline running.

A close second would be a scale model of Brent, Gara Bridge and Kingsbridge, the idea would be to use Kingsbridge instead of a branch fiddleyard giving the best of both worlds. It would need a degree of computer control either running the Mainline while you run the branch or vice versus. In the mid term this may actually come off, depending on our finding a suitable plot of land to build the new house (with space for a 30ft by 20ft layout)

Of course if I build the house odds are there won’t be money left for the layout

• Like 4

No cash or space limits?

I would have the Gillingham (Kent) via Sittingbourne to Teynham stretch, inclusive, in Gauge 1 (with sound and exhausts), set in the late 70's/early 80's. Huge variety of local, main line, charter and boat train passenger, parcels and freight stock, plus a depot, loco stabling, freight sidings and two branches (Chatham Dockyard and Sheerness). Yeah.

Just Sittingbourne, in its entirety from Eastern Junction to near Teynham, would do! But I can't even properly fit that in, using 00, in my barn, so Queenborough it is, pending the lottery win.

Edited by Mike Storey

I am fairly sure that this will have been discussed on RMweb in the past, but it never hurts to reopen interesting debates. As my modelling mojo shows no sign of returning; having abandoned me in the first few weeks of this year, I have been musing on what layout I would build if time, money, space and skillset were not limited. Ergo, if I had Bernard's watch, a blank cheque, an empty Ally Pally, and access to all the finest modelling craftsman of our age: what would I build?  

I have, for the moment, settled on a 1:76 (probably to P4 standards!) rendition of the GWML from Paddington Station to Old Oak Common, set around 1947. I would have Kings, Castles, Stars and Counties on heavy West of England, South Wales and Birmingham expresses featuring plenty of 70ft stock of all design styles. I would have 61xx's on suburban passenger trains, 57xx's and the first of the 94xx's fussing around as station pilots. I would have the Paddington goods station fully modeled, with panniers putting together a long van train for a 47xx to take off into the night, as a 28xx arrives. I would also ensure that the Hammersmith and City Line was modeled in the background, as well as the Grand Union Canal further West. 

I would model the station up to and including Praed Street, inclusive of the Great Western Hotel, and the Lawn would be seen courtesy of a glass-less roof (think the excellent Liverpool Lime Street), and Old Oak Common would be there in full, with all roundhouses, the coaling plant, and the carriage sidings (complete with enough coaching stock so as to be true to life!).

And yes, Bishop's Bridge Road would have a double decker bus on it...

What would you go for?

CoY

In the first instance I'd get a couple of issues of the annual Model Railroader Planning special, because we'd be talking about a British equivalent of the American "basement empire" 

The key constraint then becomes  "how are we operating this?" How many operators are available becomes the key constraint. You are heading into the territory of Buckingham GC and Leeds City North

I think I would look at the GC lines out of Marylebone for a "big system" . Train lengths are moderate , a 4-6-0 and 6-7 coaches is entirely credible and the service isn't overwhelming. You'd need to go as far out as Woodford Halse on the GC - perhaps Rugby Central  could be the point where things disappeared off-staqe (there doesn't seem to have been a lot at Rugby Central). On the GW & GC Joint you need to go as far the Grendon Underwood connection back onto the London Extension. Possibly you can extend up as far as Banbury .

You then get suburban services out of Marylebone on two routes, the GC mainline service , the Met ,  Woodford Halse with wind-cutters into the yard and coal and inter-regional trains on to Banbury . You'd have to arrange a token presence of GW Paddington-Birmingham expresses.

RTR based, set in the 50s , or more ambitiously the late 30s (you get A3s and Directors) with lots of built on commission stock. Bachmann have done Harrow on the Hill for you, Heljan have done the electrics...  All in 4mm

A little more realistically , if I suddenly had a large double garage available, Chiltern would be the obvious prototype for a British "system" layout

• Like 1

personally, I’d pick somewhere like Banbury where in addition to the stock on the GW northern line, you can justify splashes of alternate colour from LNER teaks and Southern green from inter regional workings.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well if I could get away with it, then I know a few projects I would work on. All would be pre-grouping in the south east (LB&SCR / SE&CR territory)

First I would have Hailsham Station as that is where I live.

Second would be some form of layout both companies could operate on, most likely a BLT

Third would be a little bit of Brighton Works

And I would probably throw in a bit of narrow gauge as well.

Oh...... hang on a second.......... your said hypothetical.........bu66er

Gary

In a similar vein , given a bottomless pocket and enough space the LBSCR west coast route from Brighton to Portsmouth circa 1900/1905.

Lots of gleaming Stroudley and Billinton locos pulling horrible old carriage stock with the occasional goods train for light relief.

Ah.......if only!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mmm, if this is actually what would you model given unlimited resources, still bounded by reality then I’d say Rugby, ideally in O, present day.

If we do away with the reality bit (as some seem to be doing), then let’s just model the whole WCML. To scale. In N obviously, it’d be too big otherwise ;)

• Like 2

Chicago Dearborn (Santa Fe, Grand Trunk Western, Wabash, Erie and a couple of other railroads) station together with the adjacent La Salle St Station (New York Central & Rock Island). Early 1950's, lots of colourfull diesels, long distance named trains (ATSF Super Chief, NYC 20th Century Limited etc). All in O gauge in an aircraft hangar !!!!

Two views of Dearborn

8964684060_204460ff32_b.jpg

Dearborne+Station.jpg

Rock island local departing La Salle St

CRIP_494_%28RS3%29%2C_suburban_train_jus

Brit15

• Like 11

I think I would go for the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergaveny, especially the bit up the Clydach Gorge.  LNWR 0-8-0's trundling empty coal wagons up the gorge and trying to keep control of laden ones going back down.

• Like 3

As well as Keddie, I'd use part of my hangar to build Skykomish, where the Great Northern electrification through the cascade tunnel ended. Boxcabs and W1s handing over to lovely green steam locos, maybe some F units pulling the Empire Builder to herald the imminent end of the interesting operations...

Edit - got the W1 and Little Joes mixed up. The Joes were obviously Milwaukee road, not GN...

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Shin Osaka, combining the Shinkansen high speed line and narrow gauge level, with a lot of potential for freight and possibly the craziest level crossing I've seen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If resources and space are really unlimited, just buy Network Rail and the TOCs, and provide your own stock to suit the period you are modelling in 12 inch to the foot scale...

It is lovely to dream, but I restrict my lottery dreams to what I could actually operate myself. some of the schemes so far mooted would require almost as much staff to run and maintain them as the 'buy Network Rail' idea, even in modern image.  I buy a Lucky Dip lottery ticket online every week, because it is important to have a future financial plan in place, and my dream scheme is probably achievable with any biggish win.  

It is to model 3 stations on the Brecon and Merthyr Railway, period around 1950-1960 ish; Machen, Bargoed, and Pontsticill, the latter to include the Merthyr road as far as Morlais Junction to incorporate LNWR working.  Fiddle yards exist between the stations to hold the B & M trains, and to represent Newport and Brecon at the extremes, Cardiff and Rhymney for the Bargoed section, and Merthyr.  

Operation could be at one of the 3 stations according to mood, or the whole system with a few friends participating, or anything in between.  A colliery needs to be provided, probably somewhere in the Bargoed Rhymni valley near Darran & Deri (Ogilvie IIRC).  Stock covers almost the entire gamut of South Wales Valley trains, with a few tender locos and gangwayed stock for the Newport-Brecons.  I am too old to consider such a scheme myself; the layout must be professionally constructed, with chaired track but to 00 RTR standards.  I want full DCC and sound, and fully working signalling electronically interlocked with the track supply, and scenery to Pendon standards.  Locos and all vehicles to be fully compensated, internally lit where applicable to an appropriate brightness and colour temperature with on board rechargeable supply (the layout is to be fully capable of night time operation) and droplights on passenger stock to be openable.

It will act as a test bed for products from the 3D printing company I will set up but not run, which will produce GWR non-gangwayed coaching stock that is not a B set, and A28 and previous auto trailers suitable for the Merthyr-Pontsticill service, and both types of Class 116 dmu.  These will have fully detailed interiors which will be accessible for detailing.  I will not care if this makes a profit, and it will be shut down when I have sufficient stock for my own needs*; I will supply models at cost to anyone interested in the meantime (Stationmaster, ChrisF, and Tomparryharry's are already reserved, and given the amount of assistance ChrisF has given me, I am sure nobody will mind if his are free).  I will also sponsor the local university's chemistry department to research realistic scale steam effects, and the electronics department to devise methods of producing it in accordance with the actual work the locos are doing.  Dmus at Bargoed can probably get away with Seuthe.  Sponsored research also needs to be done into automatic scale appearance British screw and intanter (long and short position) couplings (yeah, good luck with that, Johnster, it's only a dream), and working removable loco and tail lamps.

Such are my dreams, and I am definitely going to have a big lotto win this Saturday...

*Probably a dozen auto trailers of various panelled and matchboarded types and and 7 or 8 dmus, but enough to have two 9 car sets passing at Bargoed on Rugby international Saturdays, and maybe one waiting to come off the Dowlais branch.  I want actual DCC rattling windows on these as well.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine would be an Om or IIm model of part of the RhB metre gauge with 5-6 stations to allow operation but with 'mushroom' smaller layouts inside various loops to accommodate the West Highland line in the 80's, D&RGW narrow gauge and the L&B ;)

Oh and somewhere to put my existing HOm up in one piece!

• Like 2

Actually not necessarily that ambitious – EM gauge pre-group a concept similar to Buckingham GC but stretched into more space and LBSC and other pre-group companies with running powers.

An alternative would be a 7mm pre-group layout concept undecided but again southern pre-group era, perhaps something like Neil Corner's Lonsdale.

Gauge 1 or SM32 live steam in the garden with radio control.

• Like 1

If resources and space are really unlimited, just buy Network Rail and the TOCs, and provide your own stock to suit the period you are modelling in 12 inch to the foot scale...

I was thinking along similar lines; in my case if space and £££ (or $$$) were unlimited, then stuff modelling railways - I'd go to the the USA & buy myself a real Short Line, but preferably a fairly small concern so I could drive the loco myself.  :locomotive:

If it had to be in the UK, I'd buy up the Dean Forest Railway. :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3