Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

x7 cant

This is becoming something of a "who can p*ss further" competition. Can Autocad export in CorelDraw or Illustrator format? Does it actually matter?

Of the three major etch companies supplying the model railway kit manufacturers, two PEC and PPD accept Autocad, CorelDraw and Illustrator created files as well as pdfs. Grainge and Hodders site doesn't specify but I believe the same applies. Micro Precision do the same but effectively priced themselves out of the model railway kit market some years ago.

So as long as you can export/save artwork files in one of those formats (without errors occuring in the process), then it is immaterial which design software you use.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is becoming something of a "who can p*ss further" competition. Can Autocad export in CorelDraw or Illustrator format? Does it actually matter?

Of the three major etch companies supplying the model railway kit manufacturers, two PEC and PPD accept Autocad, CorelDraw and Illustrator created files as well as pdfs. Grainge and Hodders site doesn't specify but I believe the same applies. Micro Precision do the same but effectively priced themselves out of the model railway kit market some years ago.

So as long as you can export/save artwork files in one of those formats (without errors occuring in the process), then it is immaterial which design software you use.

if you cared to read the conversation was about it being used on my laser not etching at any of the above

however we do seem to have gone a bit off topic 

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, eagleeyemark said:

I would like to know if there has been any improvement from Falcon in supply without trawling through irrelevant pages. :aggressive_mini:

There is no supply from Falcon, the range has been withdrawn.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com   The website has not been updated for over 12 months which was when the range was withdrawn.

If dart castings are visiting any exhibitions or shows, contact them and he will bring  kits he has left from the range, I have purchased numerous gwr wagon kits this way........I do not know how the supply of locos and tenders is......I have found the owner very friendly and agreeable  in this respect.....Dave brighty.....

2 minutes ago, Brighty1674 said:

If dart castings are visiting any exhibitions or shows, contact them and he will bring  kits he has left from the range, I have purchased numerous gwr wagon kits this way........I do not know how the supply of locos and tenders is......I have found the owner very friendly and agreeable  in this respect.....Dave brighty.....

Not much use to me, I'm in the Antipodean Colony! 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, McW said:

Try Lochgorm Kits. The website isn’t up and running but you can email   enquiries@lochgormkits.co.uk

Paul

I suspect that Charlie (the new owner of Lochgorm) will have them although he is struggling to get to grips with the range a little bit.

Contact is as per PAul's email.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I would just like to make any interested parties aware of the situation I have encountered with Falcon Brass over the past 2 months ....

Basically I contacted the Owner, hoping to try and find if there was anyway of obtaining 4 or 5 of the kits/etches that they used to apparently have available.

After an initial positive helpful phone call, I was given hope and promises that I would be contacted back and given updates.

After another 4 phone calls which I instigated, I was given promises etc that just have not come to fruition,  finally today I lost patience.

The way this 'man' treats people who actually want to be Customers, is a complete disgrace.

Enough said.

Ian 

Edited by Staffordshire
Tidying up paragraph breaks hopefully

5 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Hello,

I would just like to make any interested parties aware of the situation I have encountered with Falcon Brass

over the past 2 months ....

Basically I contacted the Owner, hoping to try and find if there was anyway of obtaining 4 or 5 of the kits/etches

that they used to apparently have available.   After an initial positive helpful phone call, I was given hope and

promises that I would be contacted back and given updates.

After another 4 phone calls which I instigated, I was given promises etc that just have not come to fruition,

finally today I lost patience.

The way this 'man' treats people who actually want to be Customers, is a complete disgrace.

Enough said.

Ian 

To the best of my knowledge, the owner of Falcon Brass is a lady by the name of Samantha.

John Isherwood.

8 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Hello,

I would just like to make any interested parties aware of the situation I have encountered with Falcon Brass over the past 2 months ....

Basically I contacted the Owner, hoping to try and find if there was anyway of obtaining 4 or 5 of the kits/etches that they used to apparently have available.

After an initial positive helpful phone call, I was given hope and promises that I would be contacted back and given updates.

After another 4 phone calls which I instigated, I was given promises etc that just have not come to fruition,  finally today I lost patience.

Enough said.

Ian 

Have you read this thread?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

To the best of my knowledge, the owner of Falcon Brass is a lady by the name of Samantha.

John Isherwood.

She was not the owner listed with companies house. 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07644987/officers

but there is a familial link to Dart Castings

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06216403/officers

3 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

She was not the owner listed with companies house. 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07644987/officers

but there is a familial link to Dart Castings

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06216403/officers

I think that story was that Samantha took on the running of Falcon Brass as a home-working project, so that she could also look after her disabled child.

It became clear, quite quickly, that she could not cope with both responsibilities and so long delays / failure to receive correct goods became inherent with placing orders. This generated negative postings here, which were cited by Samantha as her reason for ceasing to trade. All rather messy!

Given the family connection, how about Dart Castings / MJT Components, etc.? Has anyone placed an order lately? If so, what was the service like?

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Given the family connection, how about Dart Castings / MJT Components, etc.? Has anyone placed an order lately? If so, what was the service like?

John Isherwood.

My last order came in about a week or so, and that was when the post was a bit iffy in the early stages of the lockdown. 

Just now, pete_mcfarlane said:

My last order came in about a week or so, and that was when the post was a bit iffy in the early stages of the lockdown. 

That is reassuring - MJT and ABS components have been the basis of my rolling stock building for decades.

Fortunately, I have a fair stock of the latter, but I'm hoping that someone can take on that part of Adrian's range in due course.

Sad to think that he's no longer with us; I'll miss his outraged e-mails every time a new RTR product was released.

John Isherwood.

24 minutes ago, CHARLIE5 said:

I have had two orders with Dart/MJT since March, the most recent in May. Both arrived within a week. Postal delivery times have been erratic so I was impressed with the service. Quicker than some others.

It's such a shame that the same management can't be applied to Falcon Brass.

I can see that holding stock of expensive etches would not be viable, but I would have thought that it would be possible to offer the range on an expression of interest basis. Once sufficient prospective orders were received for a particular subject to make it viable to order the etches, a 50% deposit could be taken, with the balance payable when the kits were ready for despatch. This has been done by other kit producers.

Not likely, though, I'd guess.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

I had hoped the better of the kits would have found their way into the main range by now.

I think the GWR Gas Tank was only revamped about five years ago as it was featured as a new kit in the magazine that Bob Barlow started before his death. Finescale Model Railway Review I think it was called.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK128

Although it might have been the other Gas Wagon.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK127

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport