Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

ISo we have established that Falcon Brass is like the parrot and is dead. There is a demand for some of the kits, but the way they were originally laid out means that they are not economic. 

They can build into reasonable results, but with a lot of work. 

So what would the chances be of someone else doing just etches for some of the most popular kits?

Many are replaced by other more modern kits or ready to run. However there are some which are not and from sales on Ebay would suggest there is a demand.

So which ones - Here would be my suggestions

HR Clan / Clan Goods / Durn / Castle /Small Ben

SR K10 / L11 / H2 / Wainwright O1

A high sided flat sided Fowler tender

So it needs someone to take it on. Would anyone consider it?

Many in the range have others who produce better kits. 

What do others think

The HR small ben is not dead, the Sutherland Models /Nu-cast one is available from Dave at SEF, and Brian at Branchlines should be able to provide a chassis for it, although they can be made to sit on Hornby Adams radial chassis too. They are not improved kits and some small parts are not available, but nothing major. They are being cast out of the original moulds, which don't seem too flashy at the minute.

The HR Clan/Superheated Goods classes have already been mentioned in this thread that they are being looked at (etches only) to see if they can be re-designed to actually make them buildable.

Falcon did do a castle (I've got a beaten up one that needs some love) and a Durn, but I don't have any info on them.

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, russell price said:

Has anyone built the GW Earl? I have one here to do, might stick it on ebay and buy another Bachmann!!! 

I have a bulldog languishing in a box, I just couldn't get on with it, another club member also had a look at it and found the same. I now have the Martin Finney kit in the to do pile.

I’ve been building kits for years last brass kit I buit was a Craftsman 36xx .  Have a couple of kits to build but a bit of a mix of not the easiest ones. A Falcon Brass Earl, a Jamieson 2p, Mercian BCR Carlisle and a Brassmasters Stella! The Jamieson has gone together well and I’m pleased with it! I’ve also just given heavy overhauls to A Jamieson J39.  And a 4f .

My Falcon Brass Kirtley 0-4-4WT, built in 2002 - a veteran of many exhibitions in the NE  during 2009-13. I don't recall any issues with it. Boy, is the camera cruel when looking at my attempts at lining - but it looks fine at normal viewing distances... A repaint & do the lining again, this time with transfers, is called for, I think :sungum:

I also have a FB MR Steam Railmotor & trailer. The bodies made up beautifully, again back in 2002, but the power bogie? However, last year I bought a LRM kit for the power unit, so eventually the Railmotor WILL hit the rails. OK, it's been a long time coming, but good things come to he who waits!

Whilst sorting out my roundtuit pile of LNER wagon kits & deciding what to sell, now that the project many of them were bought for will not happen :( , I came across a Jidenco LNER Ironstone wagon kit. Do I build or sell? It's no good for my new layout - no Ironstone traffic (as far as I know) ever ran on the Scarborough & Whitby - but it is tempting to have a go. Decisions, decisions... I also found a Jidenco LNER Cattle wagon - now that one I think I can justify building to run.

Mark

Kirtley.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Re a couple of Blandford 1969's posts, I would declare an interest in a 'Clan. kit/etches. On reading Mike Edge's last post though regarding the practicality of etch production/availability, it seems that any hope of such an item being available is to say least minimal. I would ask Dave John though how he did his pretty reasonable tenement backscene, in the photos of the 'Pugs' he built. It there a sheet or something similar one can buy?     

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It looks like Samantha has been off loading various kits and etch frets over the past few weeks. I took the opportunity of getting a set of etches for a SR Terrier body & Chassis fret and A GWR Bulldog body & chassis fret, both for not more than you would pay for a decent chassis kit, later I also got a 44xx body & chassis fret for a little more

The first two kits arrived very quickly so did the 44xx but as I have done in the past two orders got mixed up and I got someone else's order, still it was all sorted out in the end

As I said these were being sold off on the cheap (or rather no one else was much interested) I did the same with some 42/52/72xx etches which were also being sold as etched frets but these were a bit dearer

The plan for all these is to use various K's kits and parts from my spares box to build locos using parts from both kits to form a hybrid kit, certainly footplates and cabs look far better in sheet material and things like boilers, fireboxes etc look better cast.

I got the idea from an old Wills P class loco kit I bought some time a go, it not only had a Branchlines etched chassis but also their etched body upgrade kit, to be quite honest using both Branchlines packs, the bulk of the items in the combined kit are Branchlines. Certainly with the 44xx this will be the case and with the Terrier it will depend on how I der on folding/rolling the tanks

Still all three kits were dealt with very well despite the mistake, which as I said I have done myself in the past

16 minutes ago, hayfield said:

It looks like Samantha has been off loading various kits and etch frets over the past few weeks. I took the opportunity of getting a set of etches for a SR Terrier body & Chassis fret and A GWR Bulldog body & chassis fret, both for not more than you would pay for a decent chassis kit, later I also got a 44xx body & chassis fret for a little more

The first two kits arrived very quickly so did the 44xx but as I have done in the past two orders got mixed up and I got someone else's order, still it was all sorted out in the end

As I said these were being sold off on the cheap (or rather no one else was much interested) I did the same with some 42/52/72xx etches which were also being sold as etched frets but these were a bit dearer

The plan for all these is to use various K's kits and parts from my spares box to build locos using parts from both kits to form a hybrid kit, certainly footplates and cabs look far better in sheet material and things like boilers, fireboxes etc look better cast.

I got the idea from an old Wills P class loco kit I bought some time a go, it not only had a Branchlines etched chassis but also their etched body upgrade kit, to be quite honest using both Branchlines packs, the bulk of the items in the combined kit are Branchlines. Certainly with the 44xx this will be the case and with the Terrier it will depend on how I der on folding/rolling the tanks

Still all three kits were dealt with very well despite the mistake, which as I said I have done myself in the past

May I ask where she is listing kits and etches she is selling?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2018 at 13:36, cctransuk said:

Ohh - the gorgeous Samantha; she of the many unfortunate innuendoes !!

You couldn't broadcast those anymore - who says we live in a more liberal society ?

Thanks for the memories.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Samantha is alive and well and being spoken about now with no issues; as is Sven.

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm that "hatuk 73" is indeed the Samantha referred to above.

I have just received a set of etches for the LMS Fowler 7F, which all look shiny and new, still to be built obviously. There is some ambiguity in the product offering however, in that the packages shown in the pictures on Ebay refer to loco and tender etches, and the tender in fact is not included. I have discussed this with Samantha who offered me a full refund if I wished, however for £40 I'm prepared to go with loco only and source a Fowler 3500g tender elsewhere, which shouldn't be too difficult.

In fairness to Samantha I should mention that her description of the product doesn't refer to a tender, just loco and chassis. So there is some ambiguity. Anyone considering buying one of her offerings may however like to bear this in mind as the same caveat appears to apply to some other kits as well. Note also there don't appear to be any instructions, but I guess most of us will probably be able to "wing it" without!

John.

42 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I confirm that "hatuk 73" is indeed the Samantha referred to above.

I have just received a set of etches for the LMS Fowler 7F, which all look shiny and new, still to be built obviously. There is some ambiguity in the product offering however, in that the packages shown in the pictures on Ebay refer to loco and tender etches, and the tender in fact is not included. I have discussed this with Samantha who offered me a full refund if I wished, however for £40 I'm prepared to go with loco only and source a Fowler 3500g tender elsewhere, which shouldn't be too difficult.

In fairness to Samantha I should mention that her description of the product doesn't refer to a tender, just loco and chassis. So there is some ambiguity. Anyone considering buying one of her offerings may however like to bear this in mind as the same caveat appears to apply to some other kits as well. Note also there don't appear to be any instructions, but I guess most of us will probably be able to "wing it" without!

John.

I have bought a couple of kits, as John has said its what you see and it looks like most of the tender locos are without tenders, some etchings look to be missing a second sheet

As said no issues dealing with her, but its very much as seen, Certainly one of the GWR locos was not only missing the tender, but also a second body etch, had the chassis been better I would have bought it and combined it with an old whitemetal kit

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes John and Hayfield, I have just bought from Samantha and found the same as you with tender locos. The etches appear new and in my case I intend to mix with white metal kits I have had for years that have known accuracy issues to hopefully produce a good model. Samantha offered me a refund too but at the price I paid I think I've got a good deal for a chassis and 'scratch builders' parts for the body.

Keep safe and happy modelling,

Phil B.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Phil

As I have said I have 3 of her kits, I thought about a Grange loco, but I did not fancy the challenge, I have a SR Terrier, GWR Bulldog and 44xx. As you say will be used to upgrade K's kits, the Bulldog has no tender.

Samantha seems to be pricing things per etch, its a case of being careful as I have seen one tender loco missing its 2nd body etch, and some of the chassis will require a bit of modifying. The quality of the etchings are first class, much better than Jedinco items 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Wilton 34041 said:

Hayfield,

Interesting, so which tender loco is missing the second etch and what do you think should be on it please?

Phil

Phil

There were a couple, which are not now for sale, put it this way. Looking at the photo parts were missing which may have been on a third etch, certainly not visible from the photo.

As I said I bought 3 kits, they are great value and well etched. One being a tender loco, I could not see a tender (it was not advertised as body only) and I got what I saw and bid on.  But if you cannot see anything and the description is not clear, you cannot assume its there. 

Someone else questioned Samantha about the tender for their loco they bought, and she instantly offered a refund (the buyer was happy with what he got). As far as I am concerned she is an excellent seller, I have always got what I bid on and can only report a very good service.

On eBay I buy based on both the photo(s) mainly but also the description, if its a photo with a limited description, then that's what I expect. Some will buy expecting items to be clearly what they are not.

These are the descriptions of the lot I bought

GWR bulldog 3300 A42 4mm Scale Loco&chassis Etches Only

GWR bulldog 3300 A42 4mm Scale Loco&chassis Etches Only. Condition is "New". Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class.

Granted it does say loco not loco and tender, plus there was one brass etch and one NS etch, the brass etch was masked by the chassis etch, but I never expected the tender etch. One indication was the kits with tenders were dearer and the tenders were visible.

I often buy on hunches but never fully expect the hunch to be correct, therefore I bid accordingly and rarely disappointed.

If you buy on what you can see, every now and then you will be happily surprised.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, hayfield said:

These are the descriptions of the lot I bought

GWR bulldog 3300 A42 4mm Scale Loco&chassis Etches Only

What you bought was a curved frame Bulldog.  I bid on that one too.  Subsequent lots have included the tender at a higher price.  But I intend to build a straight frame Bird for which I have the footplate and everything below.

If you have some spares from a K's Bulldog though, such as the boiler, firebox and cab, I might be interested.

27 minutes ago, Brassey said:

What you bought was a curved frame Bulldog.  I bid on that one too.  Subsequent lots have included the tender at a higher price.  But I intend to build a straight frame Bird for which I have the footplate and everything below.

If you have some spares from a K's Bulldog though, such as the boiler, firebox and cab, I might be interested.

I have decided to put the K's kit back on eBay tonight as a complete kit (with no drivers, motor or gears) as its a shame/too good to break it up. I will look for an  alternative source for the Fire box/boiler/smoke box. Its part built but not painted and a bit of steam will separate the castings. I just think it would be nice if its built and used. I will bare you in mind for the cab if I find a battered or body only kit

"There were a couple, which are not now for sale, put it this way. Looking at the photo parts were missing which may have been on a third etch, certainly not visible from the photo."

Hi Hayfield,

I bought the K10 & A12 and the loco etches look reasonably complete, so is it either of these that you feel had an etch missing. Please say, don't hold back.

cheers Phil.