Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have experience of the Falcon Bulldog kit?

I have just purchased the curved frame version off eBay, with the initial intention of just using its bogie, chassis parts and con rods along with a nicely made cast version for which I purchased a while back.

however I now see that I have bought a

curved frame version, which would be a nice addition to the Bird and shallow frame versions I already have.   So I am now getting tempted to build this in full.   I know Falcon have something of a reputation, so thought I’d ask for advice now…

I don’t think the etches come with instructions (though how useful they would be I don’t know), and I’d need castings (but Brassmasters could fill in for most of it on that front)….

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Does anyone have experience of the Falcon Bulldog kit?

I have just purchased the curved frame version off eBay, with the initial intention of just using its bogie, chassis parts and con rods along with a nicely made cast version for which I purchased a while back.

however I now see that I have bought a

curved frame version, which would be a nice addition to the Bird and shallow frame versions I already have.   So I am now getting tempted to build this in full.   I know Falcon have something of a reputation, so thought I’d ask for advice now…

I don’t think the etches come with instructions (though how useful they would be I don’t know), and I’d need castings (but Brassmasters could fill in for most of it on that front)….

I have bought 3 of the latest etched only kits, 2 tanks and a curved frames Bulldog like yourself. The initial plan was to build these using appropriate whitemetal kits to make hybrid models, using sheet metal parts where they look best and cast when cast parts are better. whilst the etching is far better quality than its predecessors, they are still Jedinco kits. As far as I am concerned these are a scratch builders aid/ kit bash project. If bought at the right price they are cheap as chips, but the design quality is no up to modern standards

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Will look forward to hearing how you get on with it 

I think from reading these comments I will stick with my original plan and pinch the chassis from these etched and use it with my white metal one.  If at some point I’m bored and looking for a project, will then see what can be done with the body etches 

The instructions will be very basic.

The only one I've got is a HR Clan 4-6-0.

You got a drawing of the locomotive. A drawing of the etches and a page of typed instructions. Most of which are "Take part and solder to other part".

Thankfully the boiler and smokebox are rolled. I wouldn't fancy rolling those without a roller.

But the etchings and castings are very good. I don't fancy tackling the valve gear just yet though, looks complicated. So one for the future I feel.

Jason

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The instructions will be very basic.

The only one I've got is a HR Clan 4-6-0.

You got a drawing of the locomotive. A drawing of the etches and a page of typed instructions. Most of which are "Take part and solder to other part".

Thankfully the boiler and smokebox are rolled. I wouldn't fancy rolling those without a roller.

But the etchings and castings are very good. I don't fancy tackling the valve gear just yet though, looks complicated. So one for the future I feel.

Jason

Jason

What is being sold are etches only, no castings or instructions. In the case of the Bulldog there is no tender. As I said its a basic etch(s) and that's it

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, hayfield said:

Jason

What is being sold are etches only, no castings or instructions. In the case of the Bulldog there is no tender. As I said its a basic etch(s) and that's it

Mine came from a different source.

I was trying to point out the instructions are next to useless anyway in response to this.

21 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I don’t think the etches come with instructions (though how useful they would be I don’t know),

Jason

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mine came from a different source.

I was trying to point out the instructions are next to useless anyway in response to this.

Jason

Certainly useful for me to know as I had been planning to ask if anyone had the instructions for said Bulldog they could scan (if the etches turned up without any).  From that description Im guessing there isnt much point!

• RMweb Gold

@hayfield On your Bulldog did you get a pair of frames?

Mine arrived this morning, and only has included the right hand frame/rivet detail /bogie side frame.  I have messaged them back via ebay to clarify I am assuming that I was purchasing from Falcon direct given the number of etch kits in new packaging they were selling. But would be good to clarify

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Fatadder said:

I am assuming that I was purchasing from Falcon direct given the number of etch kits in new packaging they were selling.

You are purchasing from a private individual who is not listed as an owner of Falcon.

The listings are a case of 'what you see, you get'

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Certainly useful for me to know as I had been planning to ask if anyone had the instructions for said Bulldog they could scan (if the etches turned up without any).  From that description Im guessing there isnt much point!

I suspect if there are any, they'll be on Falcon's website.

7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

arrived this morning, and only has included the right hand frame/rivet detail /bogie side frame. 

i too acquired a kit and it appears to be short of an etch for one side of the frames. Also, my quick look, suggests there are footplates for both the curved and straight frames. 

Any response to the query via eBay?

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Brassey said:

i too acquired a kit and it appears to be short of an etch for one side of the frames. Also, my quick look, suggests there are footplates for both the curved and straight frames. 

Any response to the query via eBay?

4D456B17-AE7E-451D-BA9D-EE773EF5489F.jpeg.4cb9aa84658fc6483ac44d77d06a85e8.jpeg

Was yours the same frame etch as this one?

Was surprised to see that the kit included etches for cabs, frames and footplate for both versions.  If it had included the etch for both sides it would have a lot of useful parts.

No response via eBay yet,  I will likely raise a dispute and try and get a partial refund for the missing bits if they can’t supply it 

• RMweb Premium

From memory the kit was designed to cover all three variants of the Bulldog. I bought my kit at a Bristol show, when it was held in Bristol docks warehouse, I mentioned to the then proprietor that I was only interested in the curved framed variant and he took out the castings for the straight and deep framed locos.

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

4D456B17-AE7E-451D-BA9D-EE773EF5489F.jpeg.4cb9aa84658fc6483ac44d77d06a85e8.jpeg

Was yours the same frame etch as this one?

Was surprised to see that the kit included etches for cabs, frames and footplate for both versions.  If it had included the etch for both sides it would have a lot of useful parts.

No response via eBay yet,  I will likely raise a dispute and try and get a partial refund for the missing bits if they can’t supply it 

I’ve not looked but from memory my fret is the same. The frets are probably just handed and possibly from the same artwork but the missing one is reversed.  It would not be impossible to produce the missing fret if it was never etched in this batch. 

i too was surprised to find parts for both versions when it is described as curved framed. But IIRC there is only one firebox. 

I’m not too concerned about the missing parts because I have all I needed and it wasn’t the frames in this instance. I treat these etches as scratch building aids that will save me time. 

oddly, I also have a Mallard Duke etch that has bits missing so I probably have enough bits to build a curved frame Bulldog or another Duke if I ever need to. 

I thought the law of Sod would kick in here but fortunately I have sufficient parts on the both etches now for the left and right frames of a curved frame Bulldog or Duke.  There is a lot missing on the Mallard fret:

IMG_0671.jpg.161a48724de80c919775f1438e7c335c.jpg

Again looking at the chassis fret, there is a chassis for the tender but no body?  The label on the package mentioned a tender...

Sadly this has become another version of the comments, starting on page 1 , if anybody has'nt read the first page of this thread, I suggest you do so, before ordering items.

The only thing that has improved, is people are actually getting something for their money. Many did'nt back in 2018 including myself, I wont get caught again.

At least it is  a "kit" of sorts is now  being recieved, albeit very poorly described and missing parts/sheets of etches.

Buyer beware still applies, as in the starting heading.

On 13/09/2021 at 17:02, The Fatadder said:

I am away at the moment so cannot check. As I said all along I bought my 3 kits of parts with the view of using them along with white metal kits I have, making three hybrid kits.  Look at the starting prices, when they are cheap there is a reason. Some of the latest ones started at £10, common sense must tell you there is a reason for this when other lots are going for higher prices

I was tempted to buy another in the latest selection but only if I could buy it/them at a knock down price. All along I have stated they may be incomplete and pay for what you can see, not what you hope is there. We all like a bargain. But when you see a retail price in the £50’s and it’s £10 or £20 it’s that low for a reason

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know this is the only 'kit' listed 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSWR-Drummond-M7-Passenger-Tank-4mm-Scale-Loco-chassis-Etches/324792738310

I noted that the starting bid is £1.66 less than the price of the body kit (the chassis would have been another £20.)  At that starting price I'd rather hope it was all there.

14 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

As far as I know this is the only 'kit' listed 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSWR-Drummond-M7-Passenger-Tank-4mm-Scale-Loco-chassis-Etches/324792738310

I noted that the starting bid is £1.66 less than the price of the body kit (the chassis would have been another £20.)  At that starting price I'd rather hope it was all there.

Dave

As you say, look at the starting price. Some of those just sold started at £10 others at £20. Surely at these starting prices something is adrift. Earlier in the thread it was reported cheaper tender locos were without tenders

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Nothing seems to be available!

I have put a query of Falcon Brass Kits on eBay and got nothing from a Samantha in return. 

The seller is listed as hatuk73 on eBay.

Nothing much there now but check back tomorrow or Monday, there was a complete kit (Inc castings) for a LSWR 24' Luggage Van last week.  The loco kits are just etches for either body or tender or chassis.

There used to be "instructions" on the Falcon site,

Screenshot_20210918-145504-134.png.92ade101373f988b370177001b8f1149.png

certainly for some of the wagons but tbh even these were useless (I used a book when building a ling kit).

Cheers

Dubs

Edited by Tim Dubya
vitamin C

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Brassey said:

Further issues regarding the Falcon Bulldog I’m afraid. Having made various starts, I’ve now noticed that the bogie frames on the chassis etch are short on the wheelbase.  Luckily I have an alternative. 

This make of kits were always a hassle to make, simply as they were made in the early days of etched kits, plus the massive output of different models in a very short time. Though the castings and turnings on the whole were of excellent quality

The kits themselves in most cases certainly will not fall together and will need an experienced hand to get them built. I enjoy reading Jazz's updates in 7mm scale loco building, quite often he has to modify etched parts to fit. Thankfully things have moved on with new kits

As for their following, Jidenco and Falcon Brass kits on the second hand market often fetch very good money, seems many are happy to overlook the odd issue or two. Certainly with the latest etch only releases I will use mine in conjunction with parts from other kits ( composite building)

• Agree 1