Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

I bought some of the loco etches available on eBay earlier this year and found the same as has been mentioned earlier in the thread - no tenders with some and possibly a sheet missing. Look at the photos and read the notes carefully, mention of a tender can be only saying what type it had.

However like Hayfield I bought them to go with white metal kits also designed years ago with the idea of producing a composite loco better than either of the two original kits individually. In this context they can be good value as I expect to use cabsides, chassis frames, footplate and other etched parts along with cast parts including boilers from the whitemetal kits. 

I also have some Falcon kits bought in the late 1970's when Philip Rudd owned it. I used to arrange with him to bring what I wanted to the Brighton Centre 'Model World' exhibition where he had a stand.  These are mostly ex LSWR types like the T14 and the Big Tanks G16, H16. The instructions are basic but do help identify some of the more obscure parts on the etch, they are a Scratch Builders aid not for the faint hearted but with work give us locos we wouldn't otherwise have.

Keep safe and enjoy your modelling,

Phil B.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ian G said:

Are Falcon Brass kits available anymore?

Ian G

It might be worth contacting the seller (via eBay Messages) with a specific model in question. It may well be that only etched frets are available

I bought 3 loco etches and the etching is of good quality, I will treat them a scratch aids to which I will add and replace parts where necessary 

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1

I am really looking for a GWR ballast plough or 2, was trying to find another way with a Hornby shark, but cannot find it on Petes Spares, any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Ian G  

• 5 months later...
On 14/09/2021 at 12:38, The Fatadder said:

@hayfield On your Bulldog did you get a pair of frames?

Mine arrived this morning, and only has included the right hand frame/rivet detail /bogie side frame.  I have messaged them back via ebay to clarify I am assuming that I was purchasing from Falcon direct given the number of etch kits in new packaging they were selling. But would be good to clarify

Recently one of these etches has reappeared on eBay.  Coincidently I have started doing battle with the Falcon Bulldog etches I also acquired off eBay.  I have found that the firebox is way too short so had to scratch-build that.  That's on top of there only being one hand for a lot of items and no tender body.  Luckily I had  set of outside frames in a Dapol City detailing kit so overcame that problem.  The coned boiler is also slightly short.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do wish I had been aware of this thread before purchasing from this hat fella on ebay.......because I wouldn't have disturbed them with my custom. 

A prolonged lack of response from the seller has led to me having to raise a dispute via ebay who are now progressing my complaint. They did not dispute my assertion that the seller's  standards have, on this occasion, fallen far below those standards which could reasonably be expected of an ebay seller. 

Don't be fooled by the feedback against the seller. It appears they are fine when all goes their way but they do not respond to those queries raising an issue. Only when you kick up a fuss will they reply...........and then it's your fault........and they still do not resolve the issue. 

Without doubt, my worst buying experience on ebay in five years of buying and selling. 

To echo what others have said, definitely buyer beware. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2021 at 18:01, Ian G said:

Are Falcon Brass kits available anymore?

Ian G

They do occasionally have complete kits on eBay, this extremely overpriced Queen Mary as an example.  BiN £70 / bid from £50.

There are other kits too I've just noticed.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Recent obvs

27 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

They do occasionally have complete kits on eBay, this extremely overpriced Queen Mary as an example.  BiN £70 / bid from £50.

There are other kits too I've just noticed.

Is it actually overpriced or is that the cost of the brass and other parts, and etching/casting it all?

A Roxey coach is about the same price.

Or this. It's only a wagon so should be cheap....

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/145/4c53-gwr-tadpole-a-fish-truck/

You can't really compare kit prices with mass produced RTR.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2023 at 15:34, Human8984 said:

Is it worth going for a couple of those wagon kits as there are a couple on that im intrested in.

Quite possibly but I would ask on here or thereabouts if they can actually be built without some serious surgery 😉. Somebody will have no doubt built what you're after and will know.

I've only built a couple of Lings but they went together alright, I've yet to use all the detailing etches but they look ok too.

I have a Gate Set coach which I bought knowing it was a dog but my intention is to use it for soldering practice.

You pays yer money, you takes yer chance.

Good luck 🤞

Edited by Tim Dubya
Jibba but not jabba
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Human8984 said:

Is it worth going for a couple of those wagon kits as there are a couple on that im intrested in.

If you've never built a Falcon kit (or one of the ranges that ended up as Falcon) I'd say 'No' ....unless you want a lifetime on prozac (other drugs are available)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Human8984 said:

wagon kits

I forgot to ask but what were you after as 'we' could probably point you to a manufacturer that can deliver what you want?

Edited by Tim Dubya
jabba with a hint of jibba

We all have got so used to the Amazon factor, that we now expect instant service from whoever we deal with

Next up on eBay the model railway fraternity on the whole is upright, honest and helpful, along with eBay buyers/sellers protection guarantees. So we forget the basic principals of auctions, which is "BUYERS BEWARE". Usually things that go to auctions are things that cannot be sold through normal channels

Usually at auctions it buy as seen no guarantees, eBay has created a market place where there is some form of protection and in general the model railway section works well

Many of us like a bargain, we look for badly presented lots and those miss described

When contemplating buying a lot read the title, look at the pictures then read the description and of course look at the starting price and above all know what you are buying !!!!!!

This is an auction, so bid on what you can see and read, if unsure don't buy!!!!!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

We all have got so used to the Amazon factor, that we now expect instant service from whoever we deal with

Next up on eBay the model railway fraternity on the whole is upright, honest and helpful, along with eBay buyers/sellers protection guarantees. So we forget the basic principals of auctions, which is "BUYERS BEWARE". Usually things that go to auctions are things that cannot be sold through normal channels

Usually at auctions it buy as seen no guarantees, eBay has created a market place where there is some form of protection and in general the model railway section works well

Many of us like a bargain, we look for badly presented lots and those miss described

When contemplating buying a lot read the title, look at the pictures then read the description and of course look at the starting price and above all know what you are buying !!!!!!

This is an auction, so bid on what you can see and read, if unsure don't buy!!!!!

To be fair, John. 

In my zeal to pick up a kit of a favourite subject, I ignored all my personal misgivings. This transaction has taught /is teaching me a lot. 

Poor description which in a way suggests a washing of the sellers hands, leaving it to the buyer to decide. I normally avoid items with rubbish description. 

Less than 100% feedback

Overlooked the one negative bit of feed back which turned out to be wholly accurate in relation to my own experience. 

An item that on initial inspection, looked incomplete and research conducted post payment suggested that this was the case, as did a subsequent lack of response when I raised the question. 

And a degree of naivety on my part in that I expected this seller to manage their sales as I do. Contact buyer post sale, update on expected posting, quick dispatch, add tracking etc etc..............not radio silence for five days. 

So no expectation of Amazonesque service, just a degree of decency and a desire to do what was right and proper. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

To be fair, John. 

In my zeal to pick up a kit of a favourite subject, I ignored all my personal misgivings. This transaction has taught /is teaching me a lot. 

Poor description which in a way suggests a washing of the sellers hands, leaving it to the buyer to decide. I normally avoid items with rubbish description. 

Less than 100% feedback

Overlooked the one negative bit of feed back which turned out to be wholly accurate in relation to my own experience. 

An item that on initial inspection, looked incomplete and research conducted post payment suggested that this was the case, as did a subsequent lack of response when I raised the question. 

And a degree of naivety on my part in that I expected this seller to manage their sales as I do. Contact buyer post sale, update on expected posting, quick dispatch, add tracking etc etc..............not radio silence for five days. 

So no expectation of Amazonesque service, just a degree of decency and a desire to do what was right and proper. 

Rob

Rob

some of what you have written is understandable, a couple of weeks ago I paid within the hour for an item, the seller took a week to post it and it arrived 11 days after. No mention of possible postal delays on the listing, no contact from the seller at all. I was wondering whether to leave negative feedback and if the item was not as described it was going straight back

I was the only bidder (probably due to a not very good listing) and got it for the initial listing price. When it arrived it was a cracker and turned out to be a scratch built 0-16.5 Hunslet (apparently one of a limited amount of scratch built locos). It needs a repaint (the model is about 50 years old) works extremely well with just a light oil. 

I decided to leave positive feedback, as its a steal at £50 so I emphasised in the feedback how good the loco is and worth the long wait 

As for the seller in your case, a non railway modeller who bought the range with other partners and found out how hard you have to work as a supplier. I have dealt with a lot worse sellers, but I knew about Jedinco kits and as I said bought 4 loco etches (cheaply) simply to use some of the parts to enhance some old whitemetal kits, 3 of the etches have a complete body except for fittings, one is missing s few crucial parts. But as I said these etches will form a composite kit.

I never look at feedback when buying, and usually think most negative feedback was possibly not fair. I use my own judgement. Also rely on what is written. I have found some wonderful items which everyone else avoided. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Rob

some of what you have written is understandable, a couple of weeks ago I paid within the hour for an item, the seller took a week to post it and it arrived 11 days after. No mention of possible postal delays on the listing, no contact from the seller at all. I was wondering whether to leave negative feedback and if the item was not as described it was going straight back

I was the only bidder (probably due to a not very good listing) and got it for the initial listing price. When it arrived it was a cracker and turned out to be a scratch built 0-16.5 Hunslet (apparently one of a limited amount of scratch built locos). It needs a repaint (the model is about 50 years old) works extremely well with just a light oil. 

I decided to leave positive feedback, as its a steal at £50 so I emphasised in the feedback how good the loco is and worth the long wait 

As for the seller in your case, a non railway modeller who bought the range with other partners and found out how hard you have to work as a supplier. I have dealt with a lot worse sellers, but I knew about Jedinco kits and as I said bought 4 loco etches (cheaply) simply to use some of the parts to enhance some old whitemetal kits, 3 of the etches have a complete body except for fittings, one is missing s few crucial parts. But as I said these etches will form a composite kit.

I never look at feedback when buying, and usually think most negative feedback was possibly not fair. I use my own judgement. Also rely on what is written. I have found some wonderful items which everyone else avoided. 

Hi John, 

I cannot disagree with your post. I too have had some luck with purchases and thank you for you advice and insight. 

The information regarding the seller is interesting and probably goes a long way towards explaining their manner of doing business. 

That said, I think enough is enough and if my grumping has made anyone take more care than I did then that's fine by me. 

I will update with when and how this gets resolved but for now, I'll leave things as they are. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, hayfield said:

Rob

I'd go with most if not all of this.

I'm not too fussed about fast delivery, as I've more than enough to be going on with and a few extra days are neither here nor there. Proper packaging is more important, although I've only suffered in a tiny number of cases on RTR items where the seller has obviously been a bit dense without any grasp of what's needed. They've invariably offered compensation, which dependent on circumstance, I've taken or waived.

Your last sentence to me is the most important. There are some amazing bargains to be had if you are careful, for example a complete DJH kit with Romford wheels for the Urie S15 a few weeks ago - just over £50.

John.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I'd go with most if not all of this.

I'm not too fussed about fast delivery, as I've more than enough to be going on with and a few extra days are neither here nor there. Proper packaging is more important, although I've only suffered in a tiny number of cases on RTR items where the seller has obviously been a bit dense without any grasp of what's needed. They've invariably offered compensation, which dependent on circumstance, I've taken or waived.

Your last sentence to me is the most important. There are some amazing bargains to be had if you are careful, for example a complete DJH kit with Romford wheels for the Urie S15 a few weeks ago - just over £50.

John.

John

I saw that but as I have one in the to build pile I left it alone,

I have in the past bought a kit with wheels and motor, kept the wheels motor and gearbox and resold the kit. Not worried about a profit, but a very cheap motor, wheels and gearbox was very handy 

• Like 2

Just arrived in 3 days a Falcon Brass LNER J24 Loco and chassis etches only for £20. For the price its not too bad ? time will tell on that comment. I have a spare Oxford J27 Tender for it to pull in due course.

The Seller "Hatuk" is the same name or very similar as when they were selling Falcon Brass kits or trying too ,a couple of years ago.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, micklner said:

Just arrived in 3 days a Falcon Brass LNER J24 Loco and chassis etches only for £20. For the price its not too bad ? time will tell on that comment. I have a spare Oxford J27 Tender for it to pull in due course.

The Seller "Hatuk" is the same name or very similar as when they were selling Falcon Brass kits or trying too ,a couple of years ago.

I think it is the same person. I bought a set of etches for the LMS "Austin Seven" goods loco from them some while ago.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I think it is the same person. I bought a set of etches for the LMS "Austin Seven" goods loco from them some while ago.

John.

Agree it is the same person, anyway who else would have access to a large number of etches,

I bought mine last year and all was OK as you say, providing you do not get into a bidding war they are very good value for £20. My plan is to marry mine with their respective counterparts from K's, making a hybrid kit.

Branchlines do a SECR P class body upgrade etch which is where my idea came from

• Like 2