Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

That's the point, you were told. I have had no response from e-mails and not even an acknowledgement of my order,  Since April 27th. And all three items were showing 'in stock' last time I looked.

Perhaps if people had 'rushed to shame' Cooper Craft less people would have been ....left without the goods they had paid for...?

Well, I have been waiting over 2 years for 3 sets of the GWR coach buffers used in the article in MRJ on the Hornby coaches. A UK friend chased him up, which got a reply that they were next in line. Then the casting machine broke, and he went on holidays and emails since have received no reply.

Call me old fashioned, but I happen to think if you are paid for something you should supply it. I will not buy anything again from MRD and will do my very best to discourage others - hence this comment.

Craig W

Well, I have been waiting over 2 years for 3 sets of the GWR coach buffers used in the article in MRJ on the Hornby coaches. A UK friend chased him up, which got a reply that they were next in line. Then the casting machine broke, and he went on holidays and emails since have received no reply.

Call me old fashioned, but I happen to think if you are paid for something you should supply it. I will not buy anything again from MRD and will do my very best to discourage others - hence this comment.

Craig W

That's what I was worried about. I was legged over by Cooper Craft four years ago, and though it was only £9.60, the principle stuck. To answer the previous comment about this being the wrong thread, the point is that Dart Castings gave a very good service indeed, and this was highlighted to show that whatever the perceived failings of Falcon Brassworks, DC provided the goods.

For those wishing to condemn for 'rushing to blame' I would add that my initial post asked whether Hubert Carr was ill or that the business had ceased trading. 'Rushing to blame' would have been 'MRD - What's going On?', which, in the light of the above post, might well be timely. Perhaps a 'Caveat Emptor' thread?

Edited by Chuffed 1

MRD were at ExpoEM and Railex.

He does numerous exhibitions . i just checked my emails - order placed in September 2016, reminded at exhibition in May 2017. Casting machine broken and holiday in France June 2017. I sent a "reminder" email myself in January 2018 which did not receive a reply. As I live in Australia, attending either of those exhibitions was not possible (sadly)

I leave others to decide if this is satisfactory, but I do not.

I fully realise this thread has now gone in other directions, but so be it.

Craig W

Has anyone looked recently? all their web pages with kits appear to be empty!

Yes, well, after Samantha said she would be shutting down, it looks like she's made good on that promise.

I don't see anyone else trying to take it on - it apparently came to Samantha as a bit of a mess that she had to try to sort out.

Update on Model Railway developments. Have now at last spoken to Hubert who has been in hospital after a fall.

He thought he'd dealt with my order but wasn't sure. Also, in the recent past he believed that someone had hacked into his website and diverted incoming e-mails to his spam folder. He promised to get back to me.

Craig, if all goes well I'll mention your order. (His phone number is now on his website.)

• Like 1

Update on Model Railway developments. Have now at last spoken to Hubert who has been in hospital after a fall.

He thought he'd dealt with my order but wasn't sure. Also, in the recent past he believed that someone had hacked into his website and diverted incoming e-mails to his spam folder. He promised to get back to me.

Craig, if all goes well I'll mention your order. (His phone number is now on his website.)

Chuffed,

If you can do that it would be greatly appreciated. I am certain he will remember when you do.

Regards,

Craig w

• 1 month later...

I have a more positive update to this situation. I am in Australia and  been waiting for some etches paid for in August 2017. On sunday I rang the Falcon number and found that it is the Dart Castings number. Had a long talk to Nigel. Dart has taken over all outstanding orders and has requested all tooling be returned from the etcher. They intend to honour all current outstanding orders, but he advised that this may require re-tooling in some instances. I have had an assurance from Nigel that I will be updated as soon as there is progress, and as I am also a Dart customer(he recognised my name from a not  so recent order) that they wish to maintain their standing in the modelling community. Everyone needs to take care with comments in what has obviously been a very difficult time for this family, and exercise a little patience. I have run a small modelling business in the past, and when family goes belly-up, that is pretty much all you  can concentrate on.

Bear in mind that this is the closest I have come to getting these items since Phillip Rudd passed Falcon Brassworks on to the previous owners who did nothing at all. Waiting 5 years and will be very happy once the current situation is resolved.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

. On sunday I rang the Falcon number and found that it is the Dart Castings number. Had a long talk to Nigel. Dart has taken over all outstanding orders and has requested all tooling be returned from the etcher. They intend to honour all current outstanding orders, but he advised that this may require re-tooling in some instances. I have had an assurance from Nigel that I will be updated as soon as there is progress, and as I am also a Dart customer(he recognised my name from a not  so recent order) that they wish to maintain their standing in the modelling community. Everyone needs to take care with comments in what has obviously been a very difficult time for this family, and exercise a little patience. I have run a small modelling business in the past, and when family goes belly-up, that is pretty much all you  can concentrate on.

Bear in mind that this is the closest I have come to getting these items since Phillip Rudd passed Falcon Brassworks on to the previous owners who did nothing at all. Waiting 5 years and will be very happy once the current situation is resolved.

Without dragging up old threads now locked, "The previous owners" are all the same family.

As the Who once said.    "Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss"

I hope you eventually receive your order.

• Like 3

Without dragging up old threads now locked, "The previous owners" are all the same family.

As the Who once said.    "Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss"

I hope you eventually receive your order.

The previous owners were the Breakspears, not Dart. I can confirm that as I spoke to them just after they took Falcon on.

The previous owners were the Breakspears, not Dart. I can confirm that as I spoke to them just after they took Falcon on.

Chris is talking about the group who bought Falcon from Breakspears which included from memory one of the Dart partners, his wife and mother/in law, However was at the time being kept and run separately from Dart. I think its good news if Dart Castings do take it over

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Gold

The owners of Dart castings (The Hate family) 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06216403

Are also the owners of Falcon Brass

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07644987

And have been since sometime around 2012, so the order you placed with Falcon in August 2017 or at anytime since 2012 was with the same family of owners. 

The owners of Dart castings (The Hate family) 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06216403

Are also the owners of Falcon Brass

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07644987

And have been since sometime around 2012, so the order you placed with Falcon in August 2017 or at anytime since 2012 was with the same family of owners. 

Well, being pedantic, different members of the same family as no one member is listed under both companies; (and we have no way of knowing if they all get on together).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well, being pedantic, different members of the same family as no one member is listed under both companies; (and we have no way of knowing if they all get on together).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John

I normally get things wrong, but I thought one of the Dart castings staff/owners whilst not physically having anything to do with the running of Falcon Brass was one of the owners/backers along with two other members of his family ?

However if what GWR 1890-1908 has reported being told is correct its a good result for the range and its followers

Edited by hayfield

John

I normally get things wrong, but I thought one of the Dart castings staff/owners whilst not physically having anything to do with the running of Falcon Brass was one of the owners/backers along with two other members of his family ?

However if what GWR 1890-1908 has reported being told is correct its a good result for the range and its followers

I was just going by the information given in the links provided in post #40.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Still on the front page of the Falcon website

Falcon Brassworks now has new owners - Nigel, Jackie, Peter and Sam.

That is from 2013.

Dart castings have been carrying and selling Falcon items for a number of years at shows,  At a show not that long ago I stood behind a customer of Dart who was enquiring about a Falcon kit and was directed towards the website and was told "We'll send it out" 

John

I have a feeling there is some 'misinformation' within that statement so that the enquirer was appeased.

Still on the front page of the Falcon website

Falcon Brassworks now has new owners - Nigel, Jackie, Peter and Sam.

That is from 2013.

Dart castings have been carrying and selling Falcon items for a number of years at shows,  At a show not that long ago I stood behind a customer of Dart who was enquiring about a Falcon kit and was directed towards the website and was told "We'll send it out" 

I have a feeling there is some 'misinformation' within that statement so that the enquirer was appeased.

I think from memory only a few wagons were available from Dart Castings at show's only

As for your take on Dart taking over production, that would be a great pity. The current owners (Jackie) again from my poor memory stated the lack of instructions and the state of castings & turnings were virtually non existent, which may have been causing issues and could prevent more established retailers taking the range on

• 3 months later...

Well it's been 12 months since I placed my order for several wagon kits.

All arrived bar one which Samantha told me would follow in February.

This has (obviously) failed to materialise so I sent a refund request via their PayPal payment email address and heard nothing for a week so now tried filing a complaint via their website.

Here's hoping I get my £18.85 back, though I won't be holding my breath.

Help required, I'm planning to order some Dast Castings items, Cart and horse, Loco, landscape and Sidings stuff. Given the ownership linkages, are these caught under the same umbrella of order then non-delivery?

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains