Falcon Brassworks - a warning!

cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Help required, I'm planning to order some Dast Castings items, Cart and horse, Loco, landscape and Sidings stuff. Given the ownership linkages, are these caught under the same umbrella of order then non-delivery?

Colin

I use Dart Castings quite regularly, with my last order about a week or so ago, which turned up within a couple of days. You have nothing to worry about ordering from the DC website.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. The sound of silence from Falcon is deafening!

Try contacting Dart themselves and asking for a refund on your monies.  Although they might say it's a different company the reality is that it's all the same family and they should deal with the situation.

Or go to Small Claims Court, fill out a form and go from there .

I would just send a polite letter first, the dealings I have had with Dart Castings have always been pleasant and found the company to be good. I think the relationship with Falcon is with one of the owners, Dart may not be fully aware of the situation. Again a polite letter may push things along a bit

By all means use the above as a last resort but it is a separate entity 

I would just send a polite letter first, the dealings I have had with Dart Castings have always been pleasant and found the company to be good. I think the relationship with Falcon is with one of the owners, Dart may not be fully aware of the situation. Again a polite letter may push things along a bit

By all means use the above as a last resort but it is a separate entity 

When my kit failed to appear , I emailed Dart and its was ignored.

• RMweb Gold

So much useful stuff listed, but is it fair to conclude that this is another phantom range, like Coopercraft, or are there any signs of life?

You'd have more luck raising a Norwegian Blue from the dead.

Mind you that could also apply to building some of the stuff.....

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the last statement, I've got a couple of unmade kits, and the frames are very old fashioned, the axle holes are just tiny etched dots that you need to open out yourself... That explains why they are still unmade!

Andy G

• Like 1

I agree with the last statement, I've got a couple of unmade kits, and the frames are very old fashioned, the axle holes are just tiny etched dots that you need to open out yourself... That explains why they are still unmade!

Andy G

I most certainly DON'T agree with that statement.

The Jidenco / Falcon Brass kits are of their time - hand-drawn from the early days of etched brass. In those days we didn't expect a brass origami kit, that folded itself up and begged for the merest touch with a soldering iron.

That said, when the model was completed - which was perfectly possible if you used a little modelling skill - you had a model into which you had devoted time, patience and ingenuity. Not scratchbuilt - but certainly there was a lot of 'you' in it.

I know which finished models are more robust - and it's not the present-day, digitally-designed, don't tighten the body securing screws to much or it'll bend like a banana ones! 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Jidenco / Falcon Brass kits are of their time - hand-drawn from the early days of etched brass. In those days we didn't expect a brass origami kit, that folded itself up and begged for the merest touch with a soldering iron.

That they are, but when available* were at the price of a much better CAD designed and accurate kit.

I realise you are a fan of the range, but to say that a fold up wagon that comes in the shape of a cross with a multitude of half etch lines near to the fold lines is a good kit is barking.

* I say 'available' but what I mean is being able to order and the monies taken then silence with nothing received.

• RMweb Premium

John,

My statement is not that I don't do kits, I do, and a fair amount of bashing too. The falcon kits I have are of locos that are not available anywhere else, and are in the to-do pile, but each time they come out the though of getting the chassis together causes them to go back into the drawer for another year.

One day they will be built, but I need to get much more confident before I tackle them.....

Andy G

• Like 1

Dave

Nice one, also perhaps looking at N15's trials at bringing a Jedinco kit back to life, or rather making it work for the first time

Perhaps this is why so many kits are part/unbuilt, some are difficult to build others impossible

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

John,

My statement is not that I don't do kits, I do, and a fair amount of bashing too. The falcon kits I have are of locos that are not available anywhere else, and are in the to-do pile, but each time they come out the though of getting the chassis together causes them to go back into the drawer for another year.

One day they will be built, but I need to get much more confident before I tackle them.....

Andy G

I've got an Avonside chassis jig. . .makes it much easier....you could do them all at once  :mosking:

Dave

I sometimes wonder where we go wrong, look at the old RTR chassis, slop everywhere but they run faultlessly  :scratchhead:

I'm not so sure - far too many of the modern RTR chassis, especially those with gear-coupled driving axles, have FAR more slop than even a worn Tri-ang Jinty chassis ever had.

The secret is enough slop to counteract the inevitable minor errors in axle-spacing, coupling rod drilling, and less-than-perpendicular crankpins - but not too much, so that the whole shebang can get out of step with itself.

To achieve this - don't be in too much hurry to open everything up if you get a 'knock' at first - identify the tight spot and ease only the tight crankpin / coupling rod bearing. (It'll be one of the ones that are horizontal at the sticking point.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That they are, but when available* were at the price of a much better CAD designed and accurate kit.

I realise you are a fan of the range, but to say that a fold up wagon that comes in the shape of a cross with a multitude of half etch lines near to the fold lines is a good kit is barking.

* I say 'available' but what I mean is being able to order and the monies taken then silence with nothing received.

When buying an etched brass kit, it's mainly the brass sheet that you pay for, whether hand-drawn or CAD designed.

I am a fan of the range, because the subjects were mainly 'off-beat', and very unlikely to be available in any other form.

In circumstances where the choice was Jidenco / Falcon Brass or scratchbuild, I considered the former were excellent value.

It is indeed sad that the attempt to re-introduce the range foundered - for whatever the reason; we are the poorer for that.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1