DAVID GEEN MODEL RAILWAY KITS RETIREMENT

Coach bogie

Official Notice from David

As many of you are no doubt aware, I have been looking to retire from trading as DAVID GEEN MODEL RAILWAY KITS for some time. This has become a greater priority with the continued health issues with my wife Dorothy. I had hoped to make Expo, the EM Gauge Society exhibition at Bracknell, my last show, but regrettably, this is no longer possible, and I will not be able attend any further shows.

In the coming weeks, as time permits, I will endeavour to complete existing orders where I can, but once this is done, we will be able to see what stock is left for those who have enquired in the past weeks. I would ask all who pre-ordered for delivery at Expo to get in touch to re-affirm their orders.

We hope that the business will continue, and once the existing orders have been cleared, I can direct my time to securing the future for the existing range.

Dorothy and I would like to thank friends, old and new, who have been very supportive, especially in recent difficult times and hope you have been able to enjoy the range. We look forward to meeting up with many of you at various future events, when we can enjoy being the other side of the counter.

Dorothy & David Geen

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very best wishes to you both for a long and happy retirement.

Had been hoping to order some kits this year - looks like I have missed the boat.

Jack

I think that we already have a thread for this.

I doubt that you have "missed the boat". Given the excellent reputation of this range, I am sure someone will want to take it on.

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know if the range was taken on by someone else?

regards

No. The wagons and coach range is still with David. The Michel range is back with Pete Waterman.

David is still clearing some back orders where he can, placed prior to the final deadline.

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 month later...

No. The wagons and coach range is still with David. The Michel range is back with Pete Waterman.David is still clearing some back orders where he can, placed prior to the final deadline.Mike Wiltshire

Is David still trading? I did send an email, prior to sending an order, but have not had a reply.

Is David still trading? I did send an email, prior to sending an order, but have not had a reply.

No he has ceased trading. Both David and his wife are not in the best of health and are not always available for contact.

Mike Wiltshire

He was at Hartlepool Show on Saturday, but I didn't see him so can't report in any more detail.

He lasted an hour before going home.Still a bit sore after an opp. I was with him most of Sunday. He is sending out outstanding orders as and when he can. Several orders ready for packing. I dropped one off at Wigan for a customer so the list is going down.

I shall be over with him next week. I will see how much the list has gone down.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 months later...

I don't know if anything can be done about this but my bookmark for the David Geen website now takes me to a site selling shoes. It still purports to be 'David Geen', so I suspect that it is a scam.

The site has been hijacked. David is aware but has not been able to get the provider to do anything about it.

Mike Wiltshire

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know what is happening with the NER kits? Was in touch regarding acquiring some and David said he’d get back to me but nothing since March. If nothing else hoping to get hold of a couple of NER round door coal hoppers

Health issues with David and his wife have taken over his life. The model side very much a low priority. If you let me know the kit numbers, I will check if there is stock available.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 months later...

I am aware of the situation with David Green, I hope things get improve for him. I have built a number of his kits in the past, I am presently building his lswr/Sr 10t bolster wagons diagram 1594

Kit number s/011 one of the buffer beams is missing. Wondered if anyone could help.

Colin

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there any recent news about Mr Geen's kits being made available again under new ownership?

I've had a gander but couldn't see anything recent.

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
alignment of Mars with Mercury

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Is there any recent news about Mr Geen's kits being made available again under new ownership?

I've had a gander but couldn't see anything recent.

Cheers

No change whilst David is under lockdowm.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's a piece about a new David Geen kit for a Great Western K22 passenger brake van in the latest issue of Model Railway Journal, No. 283. Statements are made about ongoing availability and expansion of the range that appear to contradict much of what has been said above, while giving no information about the scale of the new kit or any contact details.

• Informative/Useful 2

Gentlefolk, I have picked up a lovely David Geen 6 wheel milk tank kit which appears complete but is lacking instructions/documentation/plans. Does anyone have such that they would be willing to PDF and share? Kit code is W051.

On 05/06/2021 at 10:20, Compound2632 said:

There's a piece about a new David Geen kit for a Great Western K22 passenger brake van in the latest issue of Model Railway Journal, No. 283. Statements are made about ongoing availability and expansion of the range that appear to contradict much of what has been said above, while giving no information about the scale of the new kit or any contact details.

I have not seen the statement but I was with him on Tuesday but there has been no recent changes, that I was made aware of.  The first K22 etch has been run but no finished TPO yet. These are long planned items which were in development before David's decision to slow things down, if this is the 'expansion' referred to.

There are some coach and wagon kits, remaining in stock that are still available until they are sold, but the entire range is unlikely to be rerun in the near future, but batches of a popular kit may have a fixed run if there is demand. The days of the entire range being available off the shelves is over. Etches only can be supplied, but many of the castings, especially bogies are not available, at the present time. The supply of castings will dictate what is or is not available.

There have been orders coming in, and despite health worries and domestic duties, if there is stock available, then the item has been supplied. Lists have not been supplied to avoid the speculator opportunists who have seen unbuilt kits sell at double the rrp, some of which were in stock at the time.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

47 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I have not seen the statement but I was with him on Tuesday but there has been no recent changes, that I was made aware of.  The first K22 etch has been run but no finished TPO yet. These are long planned items which were in development before David's decision to slow things down, if this is the 'expansion' referred to.

There are some coach and wagon kits, remaining in stock that are still available until they are sold, but the entire range is unlikely to be rerun in the near future, but batches of a popular kit may have a fixed run if there is demand. The days of the entire range being available off the shelves is over. Etches only can be supplied, but many of the castings, especially bogies are not available, at the present time. The supply of castings will dictate what is or is not available.

There have been orders coming in, and despite health worries and domestic duties, if there is stock available, then the item has been supplied. Lists have not been supplied to avoid the speculator opportunists who have seen unbuilt kits sell at double the rrp, some of which were in stock at the time.

Mike Wiltshire

I guess from your post that hopes to transfer the range to new owners didn't materialise? It's a great shame, whilst I obviously understand the health issues faced by David and his wife it is sad that the range will no longer be fully available.

Edited by Denbridge
  • Friendly/supportive 1