Are there any examples of passing loops or refuge sidings located on bridges?

I'm wondering if there's a prototypical way to add a touch more operational interest to the classic bridge scene by adding a siding or loop for trains to pass each other. I imagine these things would usually be located away from expensive bridge 'real estate' but I'm curious if there are any exceptions? 

I'm wondering if there's a prototypical way to add a touch more operational interest to the classic bridge scene by adding a siding or loop for trains to pass each other. I imagine these things would usually be located away from expensive bridge 'real estate' but I'm curious if there are any exceptions? 

I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head but that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Are you thinking of a simple overbridge or a full scale viaduct?  It would probably be less likely on a viaduct as the cost of adding another track would as you say be high but for a normal overbridge the cost might well be justified if it were needed for operational reasons. This might give scope for quite an attractive double bridge set up with the original bridge doubled by a more modern structure. A lot of extra loops and sidings were laid during the Second World War to cope with far heavier traffic on strategic routes so I wonder if any of these involved additional bridge building.

I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head but that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Are you thinking of a simple overbridge or a full scale viaduct?  It would probably be less likely on a viaduct as the cost of adding another track would as you say be high but for a normal overbridge the cost might well be justified if it were needed for operational reasons. This might give scope for quite an attractive double bridge set up with the original bridge doubled by a more modern structure. A lot of extra loops and sidings were laid during the Second World War to cope with far heavier traffic on strategic routes so I wonder if any of these involved additional bridge building.

A viaduct or similar is what I ideally wanted to go for since it'd give me the greatest flexibility in terms of era, but I do like the idea of having two parallel bridges. Alternatively I could consider having something like a triple track line where trains might be diverted from one line to another to allow passing if that exists anywhere?

• RMweb Premium

One of our Canadian roads seemed to go for single track bridges in the midst of what otherwise looked like double track line. If someone else paid for the bridge (e.g. grade separation) they went for double track. There was one highway separation in Brampton where the new bridge was double track width but only a single track because it was between two waterway bridges that were single track.

There is a bridge in Guelph that has double track stonework but only single track in the steelwork above. 

I don't think an extra track woud be put on a bridge if room could be found for it anywhere else.

• RMweb Gold

Meldon Viaduct, near Okehampton, is two parallel steel viaducts with their legs intermingled beneath the decks.

It would take some serious modelling skill to carry it off though.

In North America, there are examples where a double line crosses a single width bridge by pushing the tracks together, and often interlacing them. Obviously, only one train can cross at a time but it saves installing, maintaining and operating points in remote locations. These are known as "gauntlet" or "gantlet" tracks and pictures and videos are plentiful on the web.

AFAIK it has never been done in the UK but the idea might, for instance, have been a simpler solution than singling through the tunnels on the Hastings line, albeit at the cost of additional signalling provision. However, I suspect it would be next to impossible to get approval for such arrangements "over here" without historical precedent.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The greatest likelihood of something similar is where the track has been rationalised, quite a few examples of where double track has been reduced to a single and the remaining space on the viaduct used for a loop or siding. May even have occurred where a four track section has reduced to two.

In reality of course it was often the viaduct which was the pinch point, you could have the loops on the approach to the viaduct, with double track across it.

Liverpool Road Station, Manchester (OK, it wasn't in use as a passenger station for long) included a 4 track bridge over Water St.  There are other examples, but will need a bit of research.

In North America, there are examples where a double line crosses a single width bridge by pushing the tracks together, and often interlacing them. Obviously, only one train can cross at a time but it saves installing, maintaining and operating points in remote locations. These are known as "gauntlet" or "gantlet" tracks and pictures and videos are plentiful on the web.

AFAIK it has never been done in the UK but the idea might, for instance, have been a simpler solution than singling through the tunnels on the Hastings line, albeit at the cost of additional signalling provision. However, I suspect it would be next to impossible to get approval for such arrangements "over here" without historical precedent.

The Selby swing bridge had interlaced tracks, I believe. It was a 4 into 2 arrangement, but I think that still counts.

Midford on the Somerset and Dorset route might be useful inspiration, where there is a viaduct wide enough for double track

it is located immediately adjacent to the station. There is a single track through the station, and onto the viaduct,

near the far end of the viaduct the line becomes double track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjr/7573459106/in/photolist-aL98Zc-cxeXx9-cW2JWb-bVzbom

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71670325@N03/21318643456/in/photolist-cxeXx9-x9x7Xz-bkvJXT-e3gARS-e3gBcU-e3aVqX-zVbHyy-e3gALw-s1TUpN-ytRBYd-sdUtkR-MNL4N1-KJ7TGn/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124047467@N05/14732116971/in/photolist-orPX7K-Fbw8oE-7w5Hse-x9x7Xz-7w5HfF-h95EpN-Bg7iU

cheers

I think the up loop just south of Brent in Devon ended on a bridge over the River Avon. If I recall correctly the bridge for the loop could be seen to be an add on when viewed from the river. I can't find any photos and it may be that the loop ended before the bridge. Haven't been there for 30 odd years.

The Selby swing bridge had interlaced tracks, I believe. It was a 4 into 2 arrangement, but I think that still counts.

The four tracks through Selby station did indeed reduce to two at the bridge.  I believe the reason was so that the moveable switches were on the same side of the river as the signal box, avoiding the complication of trying to work them remotely through a moveable structure.  Interlacing is sometimes also used on tramways, usually so that switches are not in places where they are at risk from road traffic and more difficult to maintain.  There is a section of interlaced track on Tramlink under a bridge that is too narrow for double track. 

Check out Tenby, on the Whitland to Pembroke line in South-West Wales. The station is approached from the Whitland direction over a viaduct of 148 yards.The single main running line is on the right side of the viaduct; and a dead-end siding occupies the left side.The single line becomes double through the station, forming a passing loop. The siding is connected to the down line of the loop.

The most obvious classic "bridge duplication" that comes to mind is at Millers Dale on the former Matlock to Chinley line of the Midland Railway. Between Millers Dale Lime Coys Siding signal box and Millers Dale station box the double line was quadrupled for a short distance across the River Wye. The original double track viaduct was duplicated by a second in a sllghtly different style. The lines from east to west became Down Fast and Down Slow across the new viaduct; and Up Slow and Up Fast across the original viaduct. The two viaducts can still be seen; and, I think, one of them walked.

That's as close as I can get to "Passing loops on bridges". No doubt there were more to be found somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

North of Nunhead station, almost all the way to Peckham, the formation was built or extended to be wide enough for 4 tracks. though as far as I know only two were ever laid. While a number of bridges seem to have been built as abutments only, the  viaduct at the Peckham end was built as 4 track. This was apparently for a proposed link to somwhere in Camberwell, on the line towards Elephant and Castle.

If a line had ambitions, it would probably have been considerably cheaper to build a double track viaduct than to widen one later.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I've seen pictures of temporary interlaced track when bridge works were going on (over the A6 near Whaley Bridge on the Buxton line, and somewhere on the Eden Valley line if memory serves me right).

Meldon Viaduct, near Okehampton, is two parallel steel viaducts with their legs intermingled beneath the decks.

In North America, there are examples where a double line crosses a single width bridge by pushing the tracks together, and often interlacing them. Obviously, only one train can cross at a time but it saves installing, maintaining and operating points in remote locations. These are known as "gauntlet" or "gantlet" tracks and pictures and videos are plentiful on the web.

AFAIK it has never been done in the UK but the idea might, for instance, have been a simpler solution than singling through the tunnels on the Hastings line, albeit at the cost of additional signalling provision. However, I suspect it would be next to impossible to get approval for such arrangements "over here" without historical precedent.   

John

When Track is forced together and interlaced, I believe that is referred to as Gauntlet Track,  There was an idea to Gauntlet the double  tracks  through the restricted  Tunnels on the Hastings Line in the 1990's. The idea was  dropped after the head-on collision between trains at Cowden.  the Tunnels are single tracked with S&C back to double track  at the portals

• RMweb Premium

John

Carlisle Bridge that carries the WCML north from Lancaster had interlaced track for a while in the early 60's whilst it was being rebuilt with one side of the viaduct used at a time. 

However there are quite a few examples of different viaducts/bridges where tracks were quadrupled, often at the turn of the last century.  Sometimes the two new tracks were at one side of the old formation, sometimes one track was laid either side.   The line from Holbeck shed up to the junction for the station and the avoiding line was widened both sides. The unfortunate part was that the old bridge in the centre was lower than the two new tracks and there were some nasty road accidents when buses etc got under the first part then got into trouble hitting the middle part.

A lot of the viaducts between Huddersfield and Marsden have different styles depending on which bit was built when. Milnsbridge is a good example.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Check out Tenby, on the Whitland to Pembroke line in South-West Wales. The station is approached from the Whitland direction over a viaduct of 148 yards.The single main running line is on the right side of the viaduct; and a dead-end siding occupies the left side.The single line becomes double through the station, forming a passing loop. The siding is connected to the down line of the loop.

Not any more it doesn't - the siding went some time back although it was still shown in the 2010 edition of Quail.

I really like idea of a narrow viaduct with gauntlet track. I imagine it'd have to be hand-laid, though, since there doesn't look to be anything rtr in N. I'm not sure I could put together a full point in 2mm but interlacing two tracks might be doable with the right guidance.

Neatly avoids the issue of figuring out how to wire point motors on track not mounted directly to the baseboard as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I really like idea of a narrow viaduct with gauntlet track. I imagine it'd have to be hand-laid, though, since there doesn't look to be anything rtr in N. I'm not sure I could put together a full point in 2mm but interlacing two tracks might be doable with the right guidance.

Neatly avoids the issue of figuring out how to wire point motors on track not mounted directly to the baseboard as well.

If you want to see some interlaced trackwork close up it would be worth paying a visit to the National Tramway museum at Crich.   They have an interlaced stretch on the exit from the depot area as the track heads off towards the other end of the line.  You can walk round it and photograph it to your hearts content.  Obviously the sleepers aren't visible but the crossings etc are exactly the same as on mainline railway track.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Its not quite what you asked for, but I was looking at britain from above and attercliffe in sheffield had the station on the viaduct, with the platforms over a rail over road bridge. Just before the MR/LMS lines goes under the GC/LNER lines, the earthworks and bridge over the road and river are four tracks wide and looked sutable for a pair of small passing loops. If there was ever any there is a different matter.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW014670

Top of picture 

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW014673

Bottom of picture