Ilkley Moor ba t'at

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

I Was woken one very early sunday morning when On Ilkley Moor Ba t'at was blasted out by a Deltic on one of the last Deltic hauled sleeper services. It came past our flat in Bragbury End on a diversion via the Hertford Loop. Needless to say my mate was driving and got a real chewing next time I saw him

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Shave and a haircut - two bits!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-rVy5PTHPQ

Brit15

I nearly always give photographers a toot. There seems to be a craze amongst youngsters to film a train on their phones and get the driver to blow the horn.

Better than chucking bricks so I always oblige

About ten years ago I was shunting tanks at Harwich and while doing so a ferry give a bit of a tune on its hooter so I responded with a class 66 we then probably much to the disgust of local residents had an audible game of Simon says for about twenty minutes until it set sail!

The ferry obviously being quite a bit louder than the loco.

When I rang the signalman to give the road back he said in a slightly disgruntled voice " I think the boat won!"

Edited by russ p
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Very common, although not quite so much in urban areas for the reasons mentioned. There aren't many tunes you can play on just two notes, it can be a friendly greeting, a signal to one's lineside dwelling spouse to get tea on, or on one occasion appreciation of a particularly shapely pair of legs as we sped through a platform on a semi-fast. "We're just like lorry drivers, but with a bigger lorry".

A driver I was with once played it as we trundled past a housing estate one lunchtime, when I looked quizically at him he replied "D---- B---- lives there. He's been on nights, it's about time the lazy git was up."

It's counterpart is "A***eholes", rapid high-low-high-low-high-low tones, generally used to express displeasure at whichever signalbox you are passing at the time.