GWR O Gauge platform corballing

Junctionmad

My club is building a derivative of badmington ( South Wales direct line ) in O Gauge, I’m not a GWR modeller so

I was wondering how the platform side and corballing was executed . The station was predominantly red brick

Any ideas or Pics ?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree that there are sometimes more, and I am sure I've seen a GW reconstruction, but I guess what was done changed over time. Increased clearances, as a refuge, were recommended at some point, and space might be needed for point rodding etc..

There's this thread from 2009 which might be relevant  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3196-gwr-platform-construction/

Thanks

Dave

I'd agree that there are sometimes more, and I am sure I've seen a GW reconstruction, but I guess what was done changed over time. Increased clearances, as a refuge, were recommended at some point, and space might be needed for point rodding etc..

There's this thread from 2009 which might be relevant  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3196-gwr-platform-construction/

Thanks

Dave

thanks read that its largely about whether there was a recess ir not rather then the structure . The Cheltenham reconstruction ultimately shows  three rows of corballing , topped by 4x 3 flags and does seem to be an attempt to recreate the structure as accurately as possible with modern  materials, and yes the modern " refuge " requirements do mean that the platform support was is set back a little more , so its remains to be seen 

No details to hand, but I am sure I have seen pictures of replica platforms under construction on a preserver line, which showed details of the construction.

E.g,

http://broadwaystationgroup.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/meeting-day.html

Tenth photo down on that Broadway Station Rebuild page: "One or two trees at risk in secretive GWSR felling programme".  It'll be on the front page of the local rag before you know it.

(To the OP: It's "corbelling", BTW - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/corbel).

Thanks , yes thats very like Badmingtron , Is the top row bricks on their end ?

Most probably blue engineering bricks, they are a much stronger brick so less moisture can permeate and so last longer in use. These can usually be found being used as a top course on a lot of brick work.

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks , yes thats very like Badmingtron , Is the top row bricks on their end ?

They look as if they are to me.  I might be able to find a platform I can measure somewhere. (it's out of use before anybody asks and accessible by a public footpath).

The dimensions for the slabs I have already posted on another thread.

I'm not certain if these photographs are of any use ?

Whilst waiting at Crediton Station earlier I thought about your question and decided to take these, amongst some other shots.

post-20303-0-33017100-1526908814_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-10225000-1526908828_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-31181700-1526908844_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-47704300-1526908856_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-52303700-1526908865_thumb.jpg

The third photograph was taken deliberately to show the corbelling of the bricks where it has been altered and the original ramp moved slightly.

There appears to be no blue engineering brickwork used at all, but then the station has been "upgraded" over the years so it would be difficult to tell from these photographs.

Grahame

• Like 3

If you enlarge the view in the second picture in post #7 it shows that there is a mortar bed half way down the upper element which means that there are two course there - flush faced. To achieve the corbelling, the bricks must be laid as ‘headers’ otherwise there would be nothing bearing down on the course below and brought forward from the course below by less than half the length of the brick otherwise there would be no strength in the bond. This also means that the bricks laid behind the upper courses would also be headers to achieve the overall strength of the bond.

Regards

Mike