Southern Region station buildings

Ardglen

Hi from Australia,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but are there any kits / ready to place models of station buildings etc that are based on the southern region.

I am returning to the hobby after a break of several years and would like to convert my existing layout to a southern theme circa 1960s.

No firm plans as yet, just keen to see what is available...

Thanks in advance

Regards

Andrew 

• Like 1

Only one off the the top of my head I can think which are RTP is the Hornby high brooms station buildings. They are based on a set of SE&CR building. You could also use the Art Deco Bachmann station buildings but they are more based on London transport practice

Big James

• RMweb Gold

Hi from Australia,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but are there any kits / ready to place models of station buildings etc that are based on the southern region.

I am returning to the hobby after a break of several years and would like to convert my existing layout to a southern theme circa 1960s.

No firm plans as yet, just keen to see what is available...

Thanks in advance

Regards

Andrew 

Plenty of signal boxes, Art Deco style from Hornby and Bachmann plus three LSWR types from Kernow Models.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Bachmann also did the ex LB&SC Sheffield Park station buildings and the later preservation era footbridge which came from somewhere else on the SR network. I don't know if these are still available new though.

Kubes

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster do a kit for Mortimer station (was it originally in the Vollmer range?) in OO. Although it was built by Brunel himself in his Italianate style, the line from Basingstoke to Reading did become part of the Southern Region of British Railway.

In 2mm scale, I created a model of Freshwater station, Isle of Wight, that you can get 3D printed by Shapeways. However, a recent change in their pricing algorithm has made the cost a bit eye-watering.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MU2VGWYVZ/freshwater-isle-of-wight-station-building-2mm-ft?optionId=58912562&li=shop-inventory

For all things Southern I recommend this website.

http://www.semgonline.com/home.html

There are quite a few kits for Southern buildings and infrastructure. Particularly the concrete structures such as footbridges, huts, foghuts and fencing from Ratio.

https://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3340,3344&CAT_ID=3345&numRecordPosition=1

I also believe the Wills Country Station kit is based on an LBSC design.

https://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3351,3352&CAT_ID=3354&P_ID=17989

There is also the Bachmann Suburban Station which is based on Catford Bridge although the colour doesn't suggest SR. Easily repainted though.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/107466/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0045_Brick_built_Surburban_Station_building_with_canopy/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Gold

As so often when we get SR questions, it all depends which bit.

The four pre-group companies (LSWR, LBSCR, SER, LCDR) all had their own distinctive styles which evolved through time. Not that many stations were built by the SR itself.

So, you really need to determine which part of the Southern you want to model before making the choice.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the SER building (based on Rye, I think) that Hornby produced a few years back. That was pretty good , unlike their effort for a William Tite Salisbury & Exeter building.

I was going to suggest the old Hornby Dublo. The plastic ones are slightly better but tend to command higher prices, especially if they have their doors and windows. For the metal ones I have done my own art deco windows (3D printed), and they make a lot of difference. The station buildings might actually be based on ones built on Merseyside at the time, as this would have been local for Hornby Dublo. Not so sure about the signal box as no-one can work out what it is based on. Most were actually brick, not rendered,  but rendered ones were built to a simlar design in France.

The relaunched Mortimer kit from Gaugemaster was originally done by Pola(taken over by Faller), and is more GWR than SR. I wonder if they plan to do the other building, as Pola also did that.  Also the  brick bond is incorrect as far as I can tell. Pity as it is a good kit otherwise. Presume the buildings are actually to 4mm/ft, as Pola mainly did HO scale, and there was(and still is) a tendency to mark kits as OO/HO or HO/OO. Even Peco do it and I would rather they put the proper scale on them.

I am looking for possible SR area buildings to do by 3D printing and have already done a WW2 era signal box, based on that at Shere and Gomshall on Guildford to Redhill/Tonbridge line.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Intentio have announced a new kit for a Southern station. Not seen any pics yet but I think it is going to be concrete "art deco".

Bachmann 44-073 suburban station building is said to be inspired by Catford Bridge - if that takes your fancy !

Looks more GW to me.

• Like 1

... Not so sure about the signal box as no-one can work out what it is based on. Most were actually brick, not rendered,  but rendered ones were built to a similar design in France.

I agree about the texture on the H-D signal box, but it still polishes up Ok with a little work. I have used one for my LT lines. It also was bought very cheaply, with paint chipping and a little panel-beating required. Note that I have added interior detail, but the floor is only lightly tacked in place because there is still work to do - it has actually dropped a bit in these photos!

28767460248_9043b23d2d_b.jpg

IMG_20180607_204736 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

28767459168_d5157c7819_b.jpg

IMG_20180607_204751 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 3

"Bachmann 44-073 suburban station building is said to be inspired by Catford Bridge - if that takes your fancy !"

Looks more GW to me.

I used to live in Catford and used Catford Bridge station from time to time. To my surprise, looking at photos of the Bachmann 44-0045 station building, it does seem to be based closely on Catford Bridge down side building which I believe still exists.

edited to correct stock number

Edited by bécasse

Intentio have announced a new kit for a Southern station. Not seen any pics yet but I think it is going to be concrete "art deco".

It is Art Deco, but it will be brick and based on the original Bishopstone design, before the gun placements were added.

Art Deco Station.pdf

I also have a Southern Concrete Footbridge and PW huts etc.

post-1485-0-90678300-1528487012_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to live in Catford and used Catford Bridge station from time to time. To my surprise, looking at photos of the Bachmann 44-073 station building, it does seem to be based closely on Catford Bridge down side building which I believe still exists.

Perhaps it bears a passing resemblance (although Catford Bridge as I recall it, quite different - I will try to find a photo).

But 44-073 is definitely GW - not just  the architecture but the blue engineers brick base and the colours of the paintwork.

Edit: Just checked on Google. Catford Bridge nothing like 44-073.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Once amalgamated into the Southern railway, and after nationalisation, heavy use was made all over the Southern of standard concrete posts, fencing wall-sheets, platforms, lineside features, both for new structures and repairs/modifications to existing sites. If you google "concrete  on the southern railway", there are many references .

Perhaps it bears a passing resemblance (although Catford Bridge as I recall it, quite different - I will try to find a photo).

But 44-073 is definitely GW - not just  the architecture but the blue engineers brick base and the colours of the paintwork.

Edit: Just checked on Google. Catford Bridge nothing like 44-073.

Apologies, I wrote without checking that the stock number had been quoted correctly, it is Bachmann 44-0045 that is a model of Catford Bridge down side building (the up side building was much more substantial), even though Bachmann don't state its parentage.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/107466/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0045_Brick_built_Surburban_Station_building_with_canopy/StockDetail.aspx

I have edited my original post so that no one else is mislead!

Edited by bécasse

Ah. That clears that up. You're both looking at different Bachmann Suburban Stations.

I was going to suggest people go to Specsavers.  :jester:

I keep looking at that Catford one myself. It seems like it would be ideal for a South London station (as it is one). I've no experience of Ready To Plant resin buildings but it looks pretty good to me.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• 2 weeks later...

I require an SECR South-London area design station building, preferably small, to exchange with an LBSCR one (I picked up a 'Bluebell Waiting Room' for 10 which, with a little work, will do for that) and was struggling to find any suitable kits to bash, before coming across this thread!  It would need new posters, but the basic colour scheme looks passable for the SECR. The layout is being designed to allow both SECR and LBSCR stock to be run, with th low level yard being one whilst the upper level station is the other.