Southern Region station buildings

Ardglen

• RMweb Gold

As so often when we get SR questions, it all depends which bit.

The four pre-group companies (LSWR, LBSCR, SER, LCDR) all had their own distinctive styles which evolved through time. Not that many stations were built by the SR itself.

So, you really need to determine which part of the Southern you want to model before making the choice.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the SER building (based on Rye, I think) that Hornby produced a few years back. That was pretty good , unlike their effort for a William Tite Salisbury & Exeter building.

Which model was this?

• RMweb Gold

I require an SECR South-London area design station building, preferably small, to exchange with an LBSCR one (I picked up a 'Bluebell Waiting Room' for 10 which, with a little work, will do for that) and was struggling to find any suitable kits to bash, before coming across this thread!  It would need new posters, but the basic colour scheme looks passable for the SECR. The layout is being designed to allow both SECR and LBSCR stock to be run, with th low level yard being one whilst the upper level station is the other.

Anything between London Bridge and Redhill fits your needs without changing the buildings. The SECR continued to send a lot of trains via Redhill after the direct line via Sevenoaks was opened.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, I wrote without checking that the stock number had been quoted correctly, it is Bachmann 44-0045 that is a model of Catford Bridge down side building (the up side building was much more substantial), even though Bachmann don't state its parentage.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/107466/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0045_Brick_built_Surburban_Station_building_with_canopy/StockDetail.aspx

I have edited my original post so that no one else is mislead!

Yes, that does look like the smaller down side building at Catford Bridge.

The trouble is that the layout is set to be a small terminus, upon arches, served only by motor trains. If it were a through station it would be more plausible, but as such a small terminus less so.

I may make use of the 'High Brooms' Buildings for an ex-SECR Terminus I have planned for a dual 00/009 layout.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that any of those buildings are going to look quite the thing for a terminus on arches, although Uxbridge High St gives a good example.

But arches implies inner city and somewhere low-lying. So perhaps this is a terminus in the Docklands (Rotherhithe?) which could be served by both LBSCR (towards Victoria) and SECR (towards Cannon St/Charing Cross).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi.  Apologies - a few years too late, (just checked this great forum after listing), but I just listed some Street Level '00' /1:76 scale card kits of Chessington Line station/shelters, Odeon style S.R. stations, 'Glasshouse' signal box, and S.R wooden shelter waiting rooms. I just listed all 7 card kits on ebay.ca if anyone is interested.  If Ardglen is still looking just make an offer (will ship to Australia from Canada).  These are coloured card kits, but with a bit of 'relief' perhaps with plastic window frames and doors added, they can be made into good models of S.R. prototypes.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

Try this link to the Southern Electric Group - Click here

The station buildings are reminiscent  of Gomshall and Shere on the Reading - Redhill line Click here

FCDD54AD-B945-4FCF-BE6F-122F7B4F8810.jpeg.317b6ff4f5eaa0ff7638e600cad44854.jpeg

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Added link and photo

If the station is up on arches, there were two broad approaches used by the real railways: build the station in the arches; or, build a station beside the viaduct.

There are/were examples of both in south London, and the former is really easy to reproduce in model form, because all it needs are suitable “fronts” for the arches, plus a faux stairway/ramp from platform level. The latter are more difficult, because the buildings were tall, and often had windows set to follow a stairwell, which I’m not sure any r-t-p ones do. Waterloo East is a good, surviving “beside the viaduct”, although barely anyone uses that exit nowadays.