Peco Launch Photographic Backscenes

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

From Facebook:

"We are pleased to announce our new photographic backscene range, the first one being that of a river valley scene. The three separate sheets will match perfectly together to form a continuous run of 2400mm (95in), and reaching to a height of 333mm (13in). Future backscenes will match at either end allowing longer runs of scenery throughout the full length of a layout.

Our long-standing painted backscenes have been a modellers' favourite for years, and they will continue to be available for as long as the demand is there. But we have been listening to feedback from modellers and recognise that there is a need for photographic backscenes, although finding the exact locations to suit these is actually quite challenging! We are lucky enough to be located in a very beautiful part of the country so it was only natural that we would look close to home for our first subject, these images being based on the nearby River Axe".

post-1328-0-79406600-1526555017_thumb.jpg

post-1328-0-70910000-1526555025_thumb.jpg

post-1328-0-48257600-1526555034_thumb.jpg

post-1328-0-89346400-1526555046_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

i always thought a good back-scene would be of locos matching the scale being modelled on a larger shed (but not like miles away in the background) so you could give the impression of a really large depot at a fraction of the costs of line after line of stabled locos, sheds etc etc.  I think some have used mirrors end on to give a similar impression too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting, I spotted the arrival of the new Peco backscene when browsing Hatton's new stock page--the image looks good, and useful for a South Country rural layout.

What I am keen to see is a good North Country urban backscene, especially a photographic one with the backs of terraced housing and factory buildings, but despite a long search I have drawn a blank on this. I might have to have a go and make up my own!

all the best,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

i always thought a good back-scene would be of locos matching the scale being modelled on a larger shed (but not like miles away in the background) so you could give the impression of a really large depot at a fraction of the costs of line after line of stabled locos, sheds etc etc.  I think some have used mirrors end on to give a similar impression too.

A lovely idea, but you'd need to do four (LMS, GWR, LNER, SR) plus a green diesels/BR standards one, plus a blue diesels one, plus plus plus... The one above is nicely generic, which makes life much easier.

Perhaps a shed scene in the style of those sticker books - one huge shed backscene, then a page or two of loco stickers so you could stick on your choice of locos?

Edited by Skinnylinny

• 4 weeks later...

I did something similar with the backscene of Aberystwyth Mark 1 (though as a drawn/painted backscene rather than a photograph as it was representing parts of the station which had long since gone).

The backscene included the areas of the station I didn't have room to model - platform 5 (complete with train) and a goods yard populated with wagons, including a VoR tank on a well wagon! 

The only snag with it is that the natural way to model the Seaton branch/tramway is with the river at the front....

No, if I had gone ahead some four decades ago on modelling the branch, the Axe and those hills and village would have been the background.   It was the view I used to see from the through carriages between Waterloo and Seaton in those glorious years of holidaying at Beer in 1946 and scout camps at Colyford in the early 1950s.   Alas I found at Eastbourne that I was too tall to snake up the stairs to the open upper deck or sit comfortably inside the Seaton trams!   I doubt that they would provide me with a step ladder to climb over the upper waist panels!!!   Years ago I regularly visited one of the drivers at Seaton and on enquiring about having a drive, he recommended otherwise as he was so sure I would quickly get cramp perched on the platform!!!

Only just seen this thread and the product.

Pretty much ideal for a plan I have for a small project that has a passing nod to those lines that go to Looe / Fowey and features an estuary side line in the south west. 

The main river being on the backscene would certainly make a Golant style location much easier to  achieve!!

Only just seen this thread and the product.

Pretty much ideal for a plan I have for a small project that has a passing nod to those lines that go to Looe / Fowey and features an estuary side line in the south west. 

The main river being on the backscene would certainly make a Golant style location much easier to  achieve!!

I agree with your thoughts on Golant having stayed at the Cormorant Hotel there when thinking thorough whether to use the location for modelling the china clay trains plus the Fowey passenger.   With the Seaton branch layout I had viewed the line from the front being Seaton to the right and Colyford to the left where the line turned 180 degrees to a fiddle yard hidden behind the river background.   By the way, being awakened at 0600 by first the headlight beam and then by the growl of a class 66 followed by CDA after CDA passing through Golant was better then an alarm clock!!!

Looks like a good idea.  For years an early comment from my wife has been  - "oh another Peco backscene".   I certainly have used them in years gone by and found them ideal.  There was a lady some years ago who offered a massive range of photographic scenes.  I used a Western Scottish offering on Portpatrick Town.  Sadly she stopped trading.  I wish Peco well with this venture.  To succeed I suspect they will need to offer a fairly extensive range in due time.  But i guess the technology is easier now than when I built Portpatrick Town some 14 years or more ago.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone used these photographic scenes and can comment on the type and weight of paper they are printed on? Also, what adhesive worked for them. I have a non forum friend who is waiting for some of these and my only experience of modern backscenes are the ID range so can't advise him on what would be best to fix them with - he wants a bit of slide time to ease them in to place on his layout.

• RMweb Premium

Things like bubbles are best dealt with using a large brush, you want to avoid touching the paper while the adhesive is still wet. I was fairly sparing with the paste to avoid soaking the paper, and applied it to the wood rather than the paper.

• Thanks 1