Model Rail Announcement

Chris Gad

• RMweb Gold

Kernow Kernowlations and Kernowlicity have released the following statement:

We in Kernow Towers are highly delighted with the announcement by Model Rail of a 16XX pannier tank. We like pannier tanks very much here. We think that 16XXs are cute. You can keep yer E1, but we would like to express an interest in more than one example of the 16XXs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Firstly, congratulations to Model Rail (and Rapido) on these announcements.

In the results of The Wishlist Poll 2016 (the most recent results), the 16xx was High Polling and came in around overall position 54th - just outside The Top 50. The loco has been High Polling since 2012 - apart from 2013, when slipped slightly into the Middle.

The LBSCR E1 was Middle Polling - but at the very high end of that segment. It has gradually been creeping up since 2012.

(Speaking personally, without my Poll Team hat on, I will need a couple of 16xx - but the E1 is outside my area).

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Well the 16XX get my vote ...good  for Forest of Dean Model fans like me, and a good small layout engine generally.

You can also squeeze one in on a far North layout - 2 were based at Helmsdale, one of which I saw on  Inverness back in 1961.

Wonder if Model Rail will do the Scottish numbers (1646/9)? Good news!

At least one will be heading to the Far North Line... :locomotive:

• Like 4

MR-401  97 - LBSCR 'golden ochre'

MR-402  127 - LBSCR goods green

MR-403  B96 - Marsh umber but with 'B' prefix as applied by SR

MR-404  2142 - SR black (pre-War) 

MR-405  2606 - SR black, 'sunshine' lettering

MR-406  32151 - BR lined black, no emblem

MR-407  32113 - BR plain black, early emblem

MR-408  32689 - BR plain black, early emblem (weathered) 

MR-409  W2 - SR (IoW) lined green

MR-410  W4 - BR (IoW) black, early emblem

Chris KT

None of that list were E1Rs. Are there E1Rs as well please?

That's a rarity, absorbed pre-group livery with hints of grouped ownership. A nice detail, I must say, and one I didn't think we'd ever see.

There's a photo in the magazine dated March 31st 1927.

If anyone wants to back date it to a LBSC one then it would probably only need a cocktail stick to remove the letter above the number.

Jason

• Like 1

Not a straightforward conversion, and the resulting loco, while relatively successful, always looked like a Heinz.

Thanks. FWIW, the survey did ask that if they did the E1, would we be interested in the E1R as well so maybe a follow on or completely put to one side due to poor results.

• Like 1

Great news guys and if they are to the standard of the USA tanks which is one of the best engines that I own.

I’ll definitely get both early emblem E1’s. I’ve got a soft spot as most people have seen for small southern tank engines.

Big James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What were the visual differences if one were to contemplate an attempt?

Substantial. The pretty Stroudley cab was gone for a start, and the extra carrying axle put a new perspective on the poor thing. You might try Googling for some photos.