What are BRM playing at?

Rick-H

As I live in France I have been subscribing to the electronic magazine for a number of years. Today I received an email from BRM offering a free copy of the May issue, which I already have through my subscription. Assuming that this email is a general one to all, this means that I will be paying the full 12 issue price for only 11 issues. Hopefully BRM will extend my subscription by one month before they automatically renew it! Anyone else see this as a problem?

Rick

As I live in France I have been subscribing to the electronic magazine for a number of years. Today I received an email from BRM offering a free copy of the May issue, which I already have through my subscription. Assuming that this email is a general one to all, this means that I will be paying the full 12 issue price for only 11 issues. Hopefully BRM will extend my subscription by one month before they automatically renew it! Anyone else see this as a problem?

Rick

No. As a former subscriber I get a free download and a few days with my own 'arrows of indecision' as to whether to take up the new offer. 

Signed.... Jonny Selfish. 

Edited, to add that all is not what it seems. 

I'm not sure that I can download a free copy without registering to a site called World Of Railways. Although the free offer email has been sent to my normal email address, when I try to login it replies that my email address does not exist on their system. 

Hmmmm.... maybe I'll not bother in that case. Strange email offers which take me to third party pages are so 2003. 

Edited by jonny777

World of Railways is a sister site within our group containing, principally, information about our magazines and shows so it should have your email in the system if you received the offer unless's some GDPR-related glitch.

To address the original question I don't see a problem with what BRM are doing. If I buy something one week, and the next I could buy for half the price I don't expect a refund. Prices go up and down; offers come and go; you win some, you lose some. It all evens out in the long run.

All businesses need to think up ways of gaining more customers. What BRM have done here seems to be perfectly reasonable practice.

I can’t see the problem other than the special offer to gain new customers doesn’t apply to existing customers. This really is quite normal business practice.

I got the same offer by email but decided not to take it up as BRM isn’t really to my taste. Must say I feel a little guilty about enjoying free use of the forum knowing that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever take out a subscription to BRM. I am grateful to Warners for providing this forum.

• Like 1

Sadly I do not see it like that at all. 

I admit to being a highly cynical pensioner, and even more so after the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica fiasco. I see my personal details as my property, and not an easy way for other companies to make lots of money (none of which ever comes my way). 

Yes my details are available on the electoral register, but to that I would say - if you want it then spend your own time and money to get it for yourself. Do not think you can con me into providing it to you in exchange for a free magazine + a lifetime of spam emails, text messages, phone calls, knocks on the door, etc. 

Who says you have to put your real details in, no one makes you.

Just make up a false name and set up a yahoo or gmail account. I've recently done it on Pocketmags to get a Hornby magazine.

I often join sites with made up names, address's, telephone numbers etc, D.O.B.s are always April 1st.

Make up a false facebook account and only use it to log in to sites, forums etc. 

I only use my correct details when I am purchasing something.

And no, I don't think the internet is free, it costs me £33 per month.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

Woah! 

Massive overreaction time.  :O 

All you need to do is click the link in the email, login to your BRM account, click the box and they will send you a free download. You can unclick the "send me mail" boxes.

It's not asking you for any details they don't already have.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Jason, and if anyone is interested, I can give so much info, it would make a tin hat glow, but it would be very much off-topic. The information that BRM has about you is like a tiny spec of dust in the vacuum of life compared to what the rest of the internet has on you. If you don't want BRM to have your name and email address so that they can't send you emails, you can either unsubscribe, or when new rules come in from the 25th you will be able to ask for them to be deleted.

cheers

Jason
Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

Well I thought I would have a look at a digital issue of the magazine as it was free but when I tried to fill in the boxes (twice) it told me the email address I had put in wasn't valid - despite the fact it's the address that the offer had been sent to me on in the first place so I gave up!

To be fair its probably my technological ineptitude that's the issue!!

Jerry

Well I thought I would have a look at a digital issue of the magazine as it was free but when I tried to fill in the boxes (twice) it told me the email address I had put in wasn't valid - despite the fact it's the address that the offer had been sent to me on in the first place so I gave up!

Jerry

No I had same problem also with an earlier offer, like you I gave up and probably won't bother with anymore emails from BRM

Woah! 

Massive overreaction time.  :O

All you need to do is click the link in the email, login to your BRM account, click the box and they will send you a free download. You can unclick the "send me mail" boxes.

It's not asking you for any details they don't already have.

Jason

That method didn't work for me, which is why I underwent my "massive over-reaction". 

I entered my email and password into the boxes and it came up with an error message, so I assumed the password was wrong.  I clicked on the change password option, entered my email address (remember this is the one I was sent the promotional email to in the first place) and it said the email was not registered on their server. 

I would love to know what others would have done in those circumstances. 

• Administrators

No. As a former subscriber I get a free download and a few days with my own 'arrows of indecision' as to whether to take up the new offer. 

Signed.... Jonny Selfish. 

Edited, to add that all is not what it seems. 

I'm not sure that I can download a free copy without registering to a site called World Of Railways. Although the free offer email has been sent to my normal email address, when I try to login it replies that my email address does not exist on their system. 

Hmmmm.... maybe I'll not bother in that case. Strange email offers which take me to third party pages are so 2003. 

Thanks for posting. The original offer email was sent to the RMweb email list. To qualify for your free issue of BRM you need to either have, or create an account on World-of-Railways. That will be why your email address and password aren't recognised. 

• Administrators

All businesses need to think up ways of gaining more customers. What BRM have done here seems to be perfectly reasonable practice.

I can’t see the problem other than the special offer to gain new customers doesn’t apply to existing customers. This really is quite normal business practice.

I got the same offer by email but decided not to take it up as BRM isn’t really to my taste. Must say I feel a little guilty about enjoying free use of the forum knowing that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever take out a subscription to BRM. I am grateful to Warners for providing this forum.

Thanks for your honesty. I appreciate that BRM might not be to your taste, but it's a free issue and it showcases what makes the digital version different to the print magazine. You have nothing to lose...

No need to feel guilty about using the forum. You're right, it costs us a lot of money to keep the website up-and-running and the advertising revenue doesn't get anywhere near to us breaking even. But, RMweb is good for the hobby which is good for everyone within in.

We do have some exciting plans for the future though...

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The original offer email was sent to the RMweb email list. To qualify for your free issue of BRM you need to either have, or create an account on World-of-Railways. That will be why your email address and password aren't recognised. 

• Like 2

I am a long time subscriber to BRM mag digital edition. From April edition I am unable to access full screen of the monthly video on my iPad. I have reported it each time to pocket mags who have been unable to resolve issue.

Can this be sorted?

I am a long time subscriber to BRM mag digital edition. From April edition I am unable to access full screen of the monthly video on my iPad. I have reported it each time to pocket mags who have been unable to resolve issue.

Can this be sorted?

Slightly off-topic here, but the short answer is no. Certainly nothing BRM can do, nor PocketMags, nor even Apple. If you google the issue you will find hundreds of debates about the cause. But best I can see suggest it is something YouTube have changed. Conspiracy theory is that it's deliberate, to drive viewing to their own ad-filled site, which does seem to be the only answer.

Some posts to this topic today seem to have disappeared.

I wonder why?

Regards.

Because you posted a link to a site which pirates copies of magazines from electronic delivery services ostensibly to give you a free download (but they delay and throttle the download speed to try and encourage you to sign up for their premium service so they can make money off the hard work of others) and also contains links to other sites which have warning links about the safety and security.

If you post it again you'll find that you lose access to this site which does contain genuinely free content and advice without shafting contributors and customers.

And you thought you were being clever.

• Like 7

You can consider yourselves lucky to have received such a generous offer.

As I live in Canada I don't appear qualify for a free issue of anything never mind B.R.M....

So be grateful! :)