What are BRM playing at?

Rick-H

• RMweb Gold

Though I've been a forum member for a long time I don't get any emails from BRM. I'm not sure why some do, and some like me don't. I am a little more charitably minded towards those who get but would rather not than some of the commentators here. On a day to day basis weeding out unwanted e-mails (I get them, just not from BRM) isn't a big issue but if I go away for a week or more I'm faced with huge numbers to fillet before I can deal with any important correspondence. However the burden is lessening as I systematically (actually more like haphazardly) un-subscribe  from those I don't want. I would be surprised if BRM e-mails don't have an un-subscribe option to click on.

They don't just say 'unsubscribe' on BRM Express 'World of Railways' - they say it twice!  Plus other things you can do noted at the bottom of the page.   I get far more emails from Screwfix and Loch Fyne, let alone Booking.whatsit than I get from Warners but the interesting thing about my email page is that it has a 'delete' button to get rid of what I don't want.  Using that isn't really an onerous task but it does get quite heavily used for things I don't even bother to read (and Screwfix also send me promotional material in the post as well - we have a recycling bin).

Top of page 

post-6859-0-96988400-1526898521_thumb.jpg

Bottom of page

post-6859-0-43568000-1526898535_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

I have already explained that World of Railways is a sister site as part of the same group.

I think that's a secondary issue, Andy.  Perhaps you could tell us whether or not the GDPR requires us to eg renew our membership of RMWeb.  And why would I want to register with World of Railways when my primary interest is to remain a RMWeb member?

If remaining a member of RMWeb does require registration with World of Railways, simply send out another EMail stating that - then we will all understand..

• Like 1

In the last week on my main email address I have received 250 odd "promotional emails" including one I actually opened from the mighty Tesco :)

Its really not that much of a problem to mass delete them every now and then; its almost fun in a way!

Watch the Tesco ones VERY carefully - there is a scammer using UK supermarket names and trademarks to get your details - it is cleverly done - check where they come from VERY carefully and if in doubt - DON'T

• RMweb Gold

I think that's a secondary issue, Andy.  Perhaps you could tell us whether or not the GDPR requires us to eg renew our membership of RMWeb.  And why would I want to register with World of Railways when my primary interest is to remain a RMWeb member?

If remaining a member of RMWeb does require registration with World of Railways, simply send out another EMail stating that - then we will all understand..

It doesn't. 

• Administrators

Why some have this thing over personal details being taken I can't get my head around. If when signing up to a website it asks for your mothers maiden name, your dogs name, your grannies lovers name, your date of birth, what school you went to, etc. etc. just put anything, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to see what criminals are getting out of some of the non-existing profiles I have set up. If a bank gives a loan out based on them, more fool them.

I get stuff sent to the email address's I create, I look at some, click on some even, some of them are of interest.

Don't give your personal details if it bothers you that much.

This reminds me of sureveys where people give away their password in return for chocolate - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3639679.stm

Offer me chocolate for my password and I'll say, "Of course. It's Weetabix". Then I'd go around and next time say, "Of course, it's Marmite." In fact I can invent lots of passwords in return for choccie! If you then want to conclude that people will give you their TRUE password, that's your problem. 

• Like 1

There are two things being confused in this thread. 1 is data retention and 2 communication.

Data can be retained under a number of categories. One of which is "consent" but the category most applicable to RMWeb (in my opinion) is "legitimate interest". I am a member of RMWeb and would expect as part of that membership for some necessary data to be held. RMWeb can legitimately communicate with me in relation to my membership of RMWeb. The other common category will be "Contract" where if I buy somthing I would expect the person selling to me to hold my data in relation to that contract. In neither of "Legitimate Interest" or "Contract" is my positive consent required.

The second issue is communication, which for unsolicited marketing emails requires for the person/company to communicate in that way, with me, to hold my data with my positively given consent because holding data otherwise than "Consent" does not entitle the holder of my data to communicate other than in the restricted manner implied by the data category. Unsolicited marketing only falls under the "Consent" category.

BRM may or may not be a "sister" organization to RMWeb but they do not hold my data with my consent as I have not given my consent and they cannot assume that data held by RMWeb under "Legitimate Interest" can be used by them to send unsolicited marketing emails.

Indeed such practice is unlawful within the GDP regulations.

Edited by meil

Perhaps you could tell us whether or not the GDPR requires us to eg renew our membership of RMWeb.  

RMweb membership will remain continuous and I will be issuing a clear statement on the data that is held and provide people with a channel to have their membership removed if they wish.

BRM may or may not be a "sister" organization to RMWeb but they do not hold my data with my consent as I have not given my consent and they cannot assume that data held by RMWeb under "Legitimate Interest" can be used by them to send unsolicited marketing emails.

You will receive (or will have received) an email giving you your options if you are on that database.

• RMweb Gold

Not just you, I like a paper mag too but can appreciate the reasons for going digital as there is stuff we can't do on paper and obviously it's cheaper to distribute. That said, if Warners didn't believe in paper, they wouldn't have just had a planning application in for an extension to the print plant building approved. Paper isn't going anywhere for a while!

FDomestic authorities have expressed concern at the weight of magazines building up in 'the railway room' consequently I have been persuaded to go digital. I do miss tangible qualities of a hard copy but there are definite benefits t other digital world including instant access wherever I am, ability to expand photo' to study detail, ability to search electronically the added content  and finally but by no means least not end up on BBC 'Midlands Today' having to be rescued by the fire brigade because the ever expanding pile of magazines reducing a 15ft x15ft room to a 6ftx4ft living space had finally collapsed in on me!

• Like 2

When we are ready we will fill you in but I would like to offer more to those who do pay.

By "those who pay", do you mean those who pay a BRM magazine subscription will get something more those who don't, or that anyone will be able to pay a forum subscription to get some kind of enhanced forum membership?

• Administrators

By "those who pay", do you mean those who pay a BRM magazine subscription will get something more those who don't, or that anyone will be able to pay a forum subscription to get some kind of enhanced forum membership?

Possibly some, all or none of those things. It's all very early days at the moment and mostly lives in the "What will magazines look like in the future" realm of blue sky thinking. Bearing in mind the Military Modelling example, long term it would be nice if there was a way for RMweb to be "revenue neutral" but it's all a way off yet.

The one thing that isn't under discussion is the idea being able to use the forum for free - forums need a "critical mass" to work, but are there additional services that could be offered to bring in income beyond magazine sales and advertising? It's the question EVERY media organisation is asking at the moment. 

• RMweb Gold

Without wanting to pre-empt any discussions, ideas or other thinking, as a 'remote' user of RMweb (and I know there are others far more remote than I am), I hope the extras for paying/subscribing users are not such things as cheap/free entry to the BRM exhibitions, for example.

Those would prevent me from wanting to subscribe, as they hold no benefit for me whatsoever.

Downloadable videos of the additional digital content, however, might be more of an incentive (as a non-BRM subscriber). 

• Administrators

Without wanting to pre-empt any discussions, ideas or other thinking, as a 'remote' user of RMweb (and I know there are others far more remote than I am), I hope the extras for paying/subscribing users are not such things as cheap/free entry to the BRM exhibitions, for example.

Those would prevent me from wanting to subscribe, as they hold no benefit for me whatsoever.

Downloadable videos of the additional digital content, however, might be more of an incentive (as a non-BRM subscriber). 

So EVERY "extra" has to be useful to EVERY person who might subscribe? Nailing that list down is going to take a very long time...

• RMweb Gold

So EVERY "extra" has to be useful to EVERY person who might subscribe? Nailing that list down is going to take a very long time...

No, but they should be fair across the board, and not exclude most members.

So we can't offer some things that benefit some maybe more than others? It's hard enough keeping N gauge D&E modellers happy*.

* They're never happy so we may as well do some G scale continental stuff, made from Lego.

There is a separate thread running on the difficulty of re-registering from the emails many of us have received. I am perfectly happy to keep getting the emails, but I have given up trying to re-register (indeed I am not entirely sure I had registered, but assumed I had because I get the emails?), because of the same problems related on that thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134334-brm-gdpr-email-authorisation/&do=findComment&comment=3172097

I think this should be of more concern to the publishers than much of the somewhat overstated hyperbole about theoretical privacy and the evils of capitalism on here?

I think this should be of more concern to the publishers than much of the somewhat overstated hyperbole about theoretical privacy and the evils of capitalism on here?

We are looking at those issues but we're trying to get everyone back from the pub who's lost the will to live with some of the antics. ;)

• RMweb Gold

So we can't offer some things that benefit some maybe more than others? It's hard enough keeping N gauge D&E modellers happy*.

* They're never happy so we may as well do some G scale continental stuff, made from Lego.

Yes, but if you only offered N gauge Class 71 locos...

Edit:  Or Lego...

Edited by Stubby47

Lol....I have the builders in soon, I'll see if they can do you a discounted rate on a few wee walls;-)

Is there a special on old-style urinals then?

:O

OK, OK, hat...coat...gone... :bye_mini:

• Like 2

Perhaps making the extra benefits exclusively about N gauge D&E would be a good idea.

G

I managed to register, but then my IT skills are legendary! :-))

:angel:  :angel:

Jerry

Outstanding! But was that newly register, or log-in (and register new or the same preferences)?

I tried to log-in, but it wouldn't take my password (which I do not want to change), so I tried to newly register, but it would not take my email address, saying it was already in use (the address is absolutely unique to me).

Flummoxed of France.