Danemouth - a Seaside BLT

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

Porthcawl was another place where the car parks were full of coaches, and the railway station was a backdrop to it.  The coaches are still there of course, but not so many these days.  Traffic for Barry Island and Porthcawl would be backed up out of the town on summer Saturdays, never mind the Bank Holidays, despite the train being much quicker.  A car with two adults and a heap of assorted anklebiters unrestrained by seat belts in the back was a lot cheaper than the train fares  Barry Island featured community hymn singing with the entire beach led by the local 'Band of Hope' at 4 o'clock, six part harmony made more tuneful by ironic alcohol consumption; how Welsh is that!  We all knew the Welsh hymns by heart even if we didn't understand them.

'I bob un sydd fyddlon...'

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 15:55, 88C said:

From what I remember, most of the buses coming to Barry Island from the valleys were double deckers and they really struggled going back up St Nicholas' Road.

Brian

Probably down to all the chips and ice cream waffled down by the passengers at the 'Island. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Further progress has been made. Firstly the fiddleyard now has 4 buttons, one for each road, running via a NCE Mini Panel - the roads can still be selected via  macros on the Powercab

Z6A_0428.jpg.24a55efe1b1fa5135a8ab7c4fea666d8.jpg

The Semaphores (operating) and ground signals have been fitted. Yes, I know they are not prototypically correct but I wanted operational signals. Stephen Freeman was to make it for me but I discovered the busbars for the centre board would need to move meaning that board would need  a partial rewire. With a show in three weeks away discretion said leave it for now

Z6A_0429.jpg.d9801e50704a60a19d80b37531b2d284.jpg

Z6A_0431.jpg.b213ff33d6c4e5f364f2fa072041941a.jpg

Z6A_0432.jpg.4054194615e55d0104d89b43c1c29175.jpg

Z6A_0433.jpg.dd2daace16885be18a875fc3757edc5f.jpg

Z6A_0434.jpg.45b973d3a8d10668228a0f593f44450f.jpg

Z6A_0435.jpg.84c03e2aa346deb82a7bff8fde47221a.jpg

Z6A_0436.jpg.dc23d91674b2f8ac125adc3c920fbb26.jpg

Z6A_0437.jpg.77d1447eccbd2eaf09e0b34858dd5ac9.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Images reloaded
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Further progress has been made. Firstly the fiddleyard now has 4 buttons, one for each road, running via a NCE Mini Panel - the roads can still be selected via  macros on the Powercab

Z6A_0428.jpg.4bf61fbec601ea9fc8eede6d518423a6.jpg

The Semaphores (operating) and ground signals have been fitted. Yes, I know they are not prototypically correct but I wanted operational signals. Stephen Freeman was to make it for me but I discovered the busbars for the centre board would need to move meaning that board would need  a partial rewire. With a show in three weeks away discretion said leave it for now!

Z6A_0429.jpg.4ba11829172778a8dd0df0d2ac7bdc60.jpg

Z6A_0431.jpg.c8dc478ae72e5b91f226ceac38a52d77.jpg

Z6A_0432.jpg.9d689f166cc95e268daeb74a77a4fe02.jpg

Z6A_0433.jpg.70e1f0b2d82212b9a30886cc59e6a616.jpg

Z6A_0434.jpg.9f4fbec75621883ab67c253d195c3a7f.jpg

Z6A_0435.jpg.31f377b9f875ecab882a264dca61984a.jpg

Z6A_0435.jpg.31f377b9f875ecab882a264dca61984a.jpg

Z6A_0436.jpg.4649ab524482e37ffa5328bfbbfbfffb.jpg

Z6A_0437.jpg.9a14a207f32bbd8e3599b789fec68ffa.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Very nice again Dave. I do like my Mini Panels for route setting - so much simpler than building a diode matrix.

I like the palm trees too - very South Devon if I may say so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Very nice again Dave. I do like my Mini Panels for route setting - so much simpler than building a diode matrix.

I like the palm trees too - very South Devon if I may say so.

The palm trees are from Woodland Scenics but I shortened them as they towered above the Bachmann street lights :). I remember a holiday in Torquay as a boy and got the ides of them from my memories of that holiday.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Palms were common at the south coast Devon and Cornish resorts, and thrived in the mild wet Atlantic climate.  They featured prominently in the resorts' marketing and a 'semi-tropical' climate was claimed as part of the 'Riviera' concept that the GW and later WR also promoted.  Resorts in those days proudly proclaimed the number of days of sunshine in a year.  The other feature was 'cordylines' in plant pots on the platforms.

This has come together very nicely, Dave, and I'm looking forward to seeing at the show.  I particularly approve of the gentle curve of the platform, and don't like straight lines on model railways.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Palm trees are still common in Devon and Cornwall, even on the North coast, and still used in promotional material:

torquay-seafront-restaurants.jpg?zoom=1.

This is modern Torquay, home of Basil Fawlty. ("What do you expect? A herd of wildebeast sweeping majestically across the plains?")

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Danemouth said:

The palm trees are from Woodland Scenics but I shortened them as they towered above the Bachmann street lights :). I remember a holiday in Torquay as a boy and got the ides of them from my memories of that holiday.

I've got some on my platforms also cut short and they pass muster as Devonshire Cordylines.;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This has come together very nicely, Dave, and I'm looking forward to seeing at the show.  I particularly approve of the gentle curve of the platform, and don't like straight lines on model railways.

Yhanks John,

You are right about the curve but I also used large radius points, except the double slip; I feel this also contributes to the look of the station.

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

All of it helps the 'flow' of the scene; I have used a similar technique on Cwmdimbath, where all the turnouts on the scenic section are Peco mediums, except the loco release which are small radius.  Looking forward to the Cardiff show and seeing this layout in action!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought; if the line of palms represents the sea front, the 'seaside' impression could be reinforced with sagging lines of coloured light bulbs between the lamp posts, and perhaps brightly painted railings.

The inland end of the layout should, of course, feature herds of wildbeeste sweeping majestically across the Serengeti...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

What you might legitimately have is a large fish, with its mouth open. Within the mouth are empty pop bottles, beer cans, fish & chip wrappers, and seagulls, lots of seagulls. I well remember them at Brighton. The local RNLI used to have an old WW2 mine with a donation slot for the odd  pennies that got put inside, plus postcards from the inebriated holiday makers.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

I would have you gentlemen know that Danemouth is a refined, genteel place!

Coloured lights, brightly coloured railings and large fish on the promenade?

What next? Mods & Rockers, Hells Angels? 

The good burghers of Danemouth would have apoplexy :):):D:)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Penarth sea front went in for coloured lights, Dave, and you can't get much more refined than Penarth people think they are...

Gwiwer of this parish had some very effective coloured lights on his erstwhile Penhayle Bay layout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Could you fit a low-relief seafront hotel in the back corner? That would help set the scene and balance the composition a bit.

Whilst I like the idea Phil  the station building touches the backscene on the right so there is no way I could put a building there without it looking odd.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Penarth sea front went in for coloured lights, Dave, and you can't get much more refined than Penarth people think they are...

Wasn't Penarth the place where (posh voice on) sex was what the coalman  delivered coal in?:D

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As some say, 'Penarfff'. Some say 'Penarth'. If you have spoon of jam up yer wotsit, it's called 'Pennorth'. 

It's the same with Splott: I had one works character calling it 'Splough'. Boy,  was he in for a surprise! Mind you his mate told him that the name Dumbells Road was the proper name....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Danemouth said:

I would have you gentlemen know that Danemouth is a refined, genteel place!

Coloured lights, brightly coloured railings and large fish on the promenade?

What next? Mods & Rockers, Hells Angels? 

The good burghers of Danemouth would have apoplexy :):):D:)

Cheers,

Dave

Nowadays, it might be the good burgers of McDonalds.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Wasn't Penarth the place where (posh voice on) sex was what the coalman  delivered coal in?:D

Dave

No, that's Cyncoed.  Penarth is where the seagulls had to fly upside down by local council order...:aggressive_mini:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

As some say, 'Penarfff'. Some say 'Penarth'. If you have spoon of jam up yer wotsit, it's called 'Pennorth'. 

It's the same with Splott: I had one works character calling it 'Splough'. Boy,  was he in for a surprise! Mind you his mate told him that the name Dumbells Road was the proper name....

Landore man once told me that The Mumbles in Swansea got it's name in a similar way.  It's 'proper' Welsh name is 'Y Bronydd', the breasts, and the view from the other side of the bay is clearly the reason for this.  In the Victorian era it became a wealthy suburb of Swansea and when the posh English speaking people discovered what Y Bronydd meant they mumbled it in embarrassment, and were thus said to live in 'The Mumbles'.  

This is one of those stories that is very probably untrue and he was having me on, but the world would be a better place if it was true.  I've always thought it may have originated with Dylan Thomas; it's exactly the sort of thing he'd have come up with in a pub!  Swansea people named a shopping arcade Salubrious Passage; just thought I'd throw that into the mix because it always makes me smile...

• Like 3