Danemouth - a Seaside BLT

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Here's one for you Johnster.

Do you remember the Guinness Clock on Barry Island?

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry Dave, but I've not seen the Barry Island clock. I've seen lots of different Guinness clocks  around the south coast, and some at different angles as well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Sorry Dave, but I've not seen the Barry Island clock. I've seen lots of different Guinness clocks  around the south coast, and some at different angles as well!

Late fifties, early sixties I think. When I saw it not all the animations worked!

Danemouth's Guinness Clock is the opposite end of the prom from the station so I haven't modelled it :D

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Wasn't Penarth the place where (posh voice on) sex was what the coalman  delivered coal in?:D

Dave

Same in Morningside (pronounced Morningsaide), Edinburgh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Late fifties, early sixties I think. When I saw it not all the animations worked!

Danemouth's Guinness Clock is the opposite end of the prom from the station so I haven't modelled it :D

Dave

http://www.bigginhill-history.co.uk/guinnesstime/history.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2019 at 15:16, Danemouth said:

Here's one for you Johnster.

Do you remember the Guinness Clock on Barry Island?

Cheers,

Dave

Yes I do, despite parents who tried their best to keep me away from that end of the promenade in case I demanded anything that cost money.  I don't remember it ever working properly, though.  IIRC the site is now occupied by a pirate themed crazy golf course.  We'd park under the shelters at the Nell's Point end of the beach and set ourselves up by no.7 steps, but I'd usually make my way westwards at some point during the day.  Mother was a bit of a snob and considered the Western Shelter not to be suitable for our sort of person...

There was for some time a glass case display nearby containing a 1:2000 or so model of future intended developments at the resort that never materialised.  It was quite ambitious, and included a narrow gauge railway connecting to The Knap and Porthkerry, which was originally to be the Butlitz site, across the Old Harbour breakwater and a bridge to create a tidal lagoon in the Old Harbour.  Considering the demand for moorings these days, I am always a little surprised that Old Harbour has never been developed as a Marina; there've been a few proposals over the years and I'm glad nothing has ever come of any of them. as I rather like the Old Harbour's sunken boats and general air of dereliction and abandonment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Currently packing Danemouth ready for transporting to the Cardiff Show on Saturday and Sunday.

Looking forwars to meeting any of you attending, please do introduce yourselves!

Cheers,

Dave

Hoping to see you there on Sunday, Dave. 

Rob. 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hoping to see you there on Sunday, Dave. 

Rob. 

If you are well behaved I will let you operate Danemouth :D:)

Just been around the layout touching up the sky etc.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

If you are well behaved I will let you operate Danemouth :D:)

Just been around the layout touching up the sky etc.

Cheers,

Dave

I shall look forward to it Dave. I find that the  week before the show is a nightmare.....constant faff. 

I shall be doing the very same, ahead of Taunton next week. 

Serious faffing.......No G 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I only joined RMweb towards the end of 2018, so missed the early stages of this layout, but since happening upon it a while back I’ve had a look several times - I think it’s a fantastic layout, well designed and executed really well. I particularly like the way you’ve got a 5’ platform into the space while running short trains, which gives a wonderful air of spaciousness.  Love it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2018 at 14:51, Danemouth said:

OK, operational testing continues and with one exception I am very pleased with the layout. The one exception? the fiddleyard:

post-7048-0-96264100-1531920482_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's a lot more cramped than I originally envisaged. But all is not lost - a friend of mine has very kindly offered to make me a traverser board over the next few months, The existing board is 120 by 60 cm. - the new board will be 140 by 60 cm which will gain me ~ 30 cm in the train length and a bit more in the scenic section and of course gets rid of three points.

In the fiddleyard the picture shows the typical trains, from L to R

• Two corridor coaches off an express detached at the junction. Shown here with a Class 22 but could be a Dukedog, 43xx, Grange, Warship or Hymek. I also have B & C and Chocolate/Cream coaches available
  • B Set shown with a Pannier but could also be a Prairie (Large or small) Class 22 etc
  • Autocoach with a 4575 or 64xx
  • Goods train

Could I hark back to this post from two years ago for a question?  There is a reason for asking now.  This picture looks good to me in terms of the types of train I might also see on a GW Branch Line I'm starting, so I wondered if this basic mix had continued to be operationally satisfying in the two years since the layout was built?

I'm similarly restricted to short trains and I want to check I've got the kind of mix of rolling stock that'll keep me interested (or that I'm looking for the right items in case I see something when I'm buying bits to build the layout).  I'm modelling an earlier era and have the option of a mixed train with Guards Van, but that could be made up from other stock rather than have a dedicated consist.  I like your combination of a variety of passenger trains, but not too many goods wagons.  Just wondered if this was still working well.  Thanks, Keith.

On 14/07/2020 at 12:28, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Could I hark back to this post from two years ago for a question?  There is a reason for asking now.  This picture looks good to me in terms of the types of train I might also see on a GW Branch Line I'm starting, so I wondered if this basic mix had continued to be operationally satisfying in the two years since the layout was built?

Hello Keith,

The answer to your question is yes. The 4 fiddle yard roads are allocated from the back as follows:

• Branch goods train - 3/4 vans, 1/2 coal wagons & Toad
  • Branch autocoach & 64xx or a diesel railcar
  • Branch passenger train - 2 Collet suburbans or B set
  • Through corridor stock detached at "junction". Either 1 or 2 coaches sometimes maroon other times chocolate & cream

The locos depend on my mood, here's the roster

danemouth Loco List.pdf

and the coaching stock mostly bought for previous incarnations and most are back in their boxes

Danemouth Coaching Stock.pdf

Next purchase will be a green 117 but will run as a 2 car set due to the size of the fiddle yards.

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Images reloaded
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In addition to the above list I also have a Syphon, GUV and a couple of other NPCS which get added to the passenger trains as the mood takes me and even form a parcels train from time to time.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have started work on Danemouth after a break of several months  - this was due to a cataract on my good eye, explained here.

The first job was to give it a good clean. The track was quite grubby so that has a really good clean. Some lampposts needed straightening and a couple of figures had come adrift. Yesterday it was the turn of the locos, this involved a soft brush, duster and the Woodland Scenics thingy to clean the wheels. All the locos ended up on the layout, all 14 of them -with no sound on them the Powercab says they are drawing .34 amps.

Note all the road vehicles are missing - they have been removed as part of the cleaning process and will be replaced once I've cleaned the rolling stock.

Z6A_0495_1.jpg.c5a95a61af6cf1f74494ba2058c85dc0.jpg

Z6A_0496.jpg.6f132fb2233599db8919c0e1639422ab.jpg

So coaches and wagon are next for cleaning and this includes checking the back-to-backs.

I keep thinking about a new version of Danemouth but haven't as yet found a trackplan that I prefer to the existing one.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Images reloaded
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Dave,

Please accept my belated compliments of the season, and I trust you and Cath are well ?

As modelling has resumed, I trust the cataract repairs went according to plan ?

Your little slice of the West Country is certainly looking well.

We'll have to partake of some liquid refreshment, combined with some "chewing of the fat" once things improve......after all, we still have raised a glass to John.

Anyway, updates are eagerly awaited.

Stay safe.

Brian

Good to hear from you Brian.

Yes, my cataract operation was successful and I can see properly again though only in one eye - the other is peripheral vision only and has been for several years.

Danemouth is expecting a new loco over the next couple of days - a sound-fitted Late Crest mogul! I understand that the Class 117 DMUs in two car form and the Dapol Prairie are being released this year so that will give my wallet a shock.

Just before Christmas my GWR goods shed (the new Hornby one)was delivered to replace the existing one - that happens this week.

SWMBO and I have decided to get a skip (the rubbish type) in the spring and have a grand clear out, if I am lucky I might be able to move Danemouth into the room above the garage. If this happens a total rebuild is n the cards as it can then be lengthened by 40 cm. The plan will be very similar to what I have now but with an additional siding.

Look after yourself,

Dave

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The Green, late crest, sound fitted Mogul arrived today. It has run successfully on the rolling road and up and down the track.

I will shortly be installing the new goods shed, so with a bit of luck I should be able to post some photos before the end of the week.

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I got my "Round Tuit" out today and took some photos of the mogul with two coaches detached from an express at "The Junction" We start with the train emerging under the bridge

Z6A_0503.jpg.178f9fc7a3cd3541c8e31785ee2d2106.jpg

Z6A_0506.jpg.ae3f50f31621e0d62a980681f7c5bbe8.jpg

Z6A_0509.jpg.84761ad38cc00aaf12a6f049f3800f81.jpg

In the next photo 7310 is on its way to the (offstage) turntable - the Oxford Horny Goods Shed is now in-situ

The train is ready to depart

Z6A_0510.jpg.44f6ff24d8f5bf5b675c07f0230a0a0e.jpg

Z6A_0513.jpg.ce4670550fa81e07881110f7d83aea35.jpg

Z6A_0516.jpg.b9323d710852df7ef0fdbae0fa908366.jpg

and off she goes!

Z6A_0519.jpg.be6384ea48431266d32d5449a7d8c183.jpg

My Bacmann sound fitted 94xx late crest is on its way to me so as long as my "Round Tuit" doesn't disappear I should be able to post some photos over the next few days.

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Images reloaded
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The owner of a certain modelling emporium in the capital of the Principality delivered 9479 this afternoon and the loco was quickly out into service. So here it is arriving

Z6A_0522.jpg.35c2420cb8ddbbec58d6869130358119.jpg

Z6A_0524.jpg.14a6a1b76a2ffd9ca337749627ca83fd.jpg

and running around

Z6A_0527.jpg.dda8dc3c11c38adff010dc81656d1523.jpg

and departing

Z6A_0528.jpg.fe310029e9c32725776cb81b304d10d9.jpg

Z6A_0530.jpg.e390f59b1209febaff2375dee1515a93.jpg

Z6A_0532.jpg.b9d5464f256a1389907dfadc8604b8b3.jpg

9479 is joined by the other recent addition 7310

Z6A_0534.jpg.1fdd7149ece1bb4582d3285d5bac6859.jpg

Finally all five of Danemouth's Panniers pose for a group phote

Z6A_0537.jpg.6d70918c087ce548b8c74428b26307de.jpg

I have a couple of small problems needing my attention

• These are the first two locos I have bought with sound fitted, all the others have SWD chips fitted. So the function buttons are different on these two and are even different from each other! 9479 has a whisle on F4 & F8 but does not respond to the horn button on the Powercab. So I will need to find the Powercab manual and study it
  • Halfway through the point motor of the bay to short siding failed. Oh dear!

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Images reloaded
  • Like 17