Trinity Road - 4'x2' urban project in N Gauge

nharding99

On 02/04/2020 at 23:50, sf315 said:

Nigel

Worsley works do a scratch builders pack for a 104 mine are done from them.

Steve 

Thanks Steve. At the moment I'm thinking of postponing the 104 project slightly. When I get to it I'll perhaps use some Mk 1 coaches as a basis, possibly with some etched sides and 3d printed cab. I have a 108 which is "spare" but the passenger windows are too low to be convincing so I'm going to try and convert that to a 108 with 4 character headcodes. So thanks, Worsley etches could help me out in the future.

How did you create your class 120?

I notice that there are 3D printed bodies for some of these DMUs these days.

Thanks

Nigel

Edited by nharding99

I've put together a 3 minute video of the layout. It's in the style of a British Transport Film documentary! I couldn't bring myself to do a voice-over with clipped BBC newsreader accent but the captions help it along in their 1960s "Britain is best" style - obviously not meant to be taken seriously :-) https://youtu.be/cykPkZpRt_c

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

On 13/04/2020 at 07:57, TomJ said:

That’s brilliant! And really shows off the layout. More please!

Thanks, maybe I can come up with another (admittedly weak) story line and show off some other aspects of the layout. Maybe I'll check out Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends for some inspiration ^_^

In the meantime I'm converting a Farish class 108 DMU to one of the later styles with 4 character roof mounted headcode box...

108-1.jpg.0419e24c11f654e93249c640e94fc2c5.jpg

108-2.jpg.e5354f4d105a862e795959bf2e2baa87.jpg

The donor headcode "domes" are from a Dapol class 121 (complete roof ordered as a spare from DCC Supplies). Eventually the unit will be given a green livery.

Onwards and upwards!

Stay safe everyone!

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

Having read through this and Lymebrook Yard during lockdown has inspired me to use a left over 4x2 baseboard and some spare track. I’m thinking more exGWR steam - but using the same track plan if no one minds. 
Having played with some template I’m having a bit of trouble fitting the yard and the head shunt. Despite your pictures I can’t work out whether the points into the yard are LH, RH or Y. Any tips? Thanks 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TomJ said:

Having read through this and Lymebrook Yard during lockdown has inspired me to use a left over 4x2 baseboard and some spare track. I’m thinking more exGWR steam - but using the same track plan if no one minds. 
Having played with some template I’m having a bit of trouble fitting the yard and the head shunt. Despite your pictures I can’t work out whether the points into the yard are LH, RH or Y. Any tips? Thanks 

Tom

The points on Lymebrook Yard into the yard are a code 55 small rad L/H point to a code 55 small rad R/H point which splits again to give the two sidings opposite the station. A code 55 small rad point is the same nomenclature as a code 80 med rad point. Again on Lymebrook the end of the headshunt which is hidden fouls the running line as it comes into gauge so the rule is only park a loco/train where you can see it when leaving a train in the yard when returning to run a train around the continuous run.  

thanks Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that’s a great help. I think part of my problem was I was trying to run the headshunt parallel to the main track on a tighter radius curve 

Hope you don’t mind someone else pinching your excellent plan. Perhaps one day we could have a show just full of interpretations of Lymebrook Yard. Aware it might be a niche interest!

• Like 1

Steve has said it all really.

This track plan might help you see what I did. I think that my mainline curves ended up being a little different to the original Lymebrook but it's the same sort of thing...

trinity-road-plan.jpg.2b46b4049396661ce2827e72ebce13c1.jpg

I don't blame you for being inspired by and copying the Lymebrook plan. It's exactly what I did and Steve has always been encouraging and supportive of my efforts. Good luck with your project. I'd love to see how it turns out.

• Thanks 1

Also, further to what you were saying Tomj about layout interpretations of Lymebrook Yard, there are a few in progress as well as yours. I think there's definitely a "genre" of continuous small layouts with built up ends or disguised curves. For example Hedges Hill Cutting and Steve's slightly larger Tanner's Hill - and I'm sure that there are many others. There's definitely lots of mileage in the Lymebrook Yard plan.

In the future I may connect up one of those outer storage sidings to the main line to create a loop in the fiddle yard. It's sometimes a bit awkward to reverse in a long train and for longer trains the front of the train can emerge out of the tunnel before reversing back into the siding. A loop would avoid that problem by allowing a train to run into it from either direction. I'm aware that the layout could easily be made into a double track layout but I have always resisted the temptation and kept my station as a point at which the main line singles. I think it's more interesting that way but others may disagree.

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’m not sure I’d call mine - ‘in progress’ yet!

I’m thinking same basic travel plan but with two side platforms rather than an island - might need to extend the front out by an inch or two. Island platforms weren’t so common on the GWR.  With a road bridge crossing the platforms and hiding the exit. Gives the impression of longer platforms. 

I have pondered about doing it as a mirror image so the connection to the yard is trailing rather than facing?

Once there’s something tangible to show I’ll start a thread

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I seem to have been busier than ever with non railway projects during the Covid-19 era. Tonight I managed to get the layout setup for the first time in months. After giving it all a good clean I enjoyed what was mostly a freight night. The Brush Type 4 and Clayton are newcomers. The lack of buffer beam detail is noticeable. I have always avoided committing to a one way running loco in the past but for locos that are unlikely to be  involved in shunting or running around I'm tempted to add the details now. Maybe it's a sign of modelling maturity.

There are still one or two details on the layout that can and therefore will be improved when I'm in the mood. Things like a few more random patches of grass  and bedding down some of the buildings a bit better. I'll keep you posted!

friday-freight-1.jpg.858598f9cc4debb5371f4ffb3669d0cf.jpg

friday-freight-2.jpg.951e35d7582d6df8c83f902523508cdd.jpg

• Like 10

Something a little different tonight... I've put together a cradle for my DCC programming track (rather than scratching around for some spare straight tracks or using the layout itself to program CVs as I have done on occasions). This will just hook onto the layout backscene. It's made from materials that I happened to have lying around, some of it is balsa, it's lightweight and it's certainly not over-engineered! It's arguably longer than it needs to be but I do sometimes have to program DMUs together.

programming-track.jpg.a353e42bc0d7981623442594d338b750.jpg

I've been a DCC user for some time. I'm hoping to hook up the layout to a PC using a DCC/USB connector in the near future which should open up easier options for CV tweaking and allow me to use my mobile phone an as extra controller. I'm probably not ready to consider digital points control yet but you never know maybe one day...

Thanks for reading

Nigel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nharding99 said:

Something a little different tonight... I've put together a cradle for my DCC programming track (rather than scratching around for some spare straight tracks or using the layout itself to program CVs as I have done on occasions). This will just hook onto the layout backscene. It's made from materials that I happened to have lying around, some of it is balsa, it's lightweight and it's certainly not over-engineered! It's arguably longer than it needs to be but I do sometimes have to program DMUs together.

programming-track.jpg.a353e42bc0d7981623442594d338b750.jpg

I've been a DCC user for some time. I'm hoping to hook up the layout to a PC using a DCC/USB connector in the near future which should open up easier options for CV tweaking and allow me to use my mobile phone an as extra controller. I'm probably not ready to consider digital points control yet but you never know maybe one day...

Thanks for reading

Nigel

DCC point control, the slippery slope to DCC automation... Looks good what you've done! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The goods shed was always intended to service van traffic and I recently recognised that there was a lack of box wagons on the layout... so I have ordered some kits from the N Gauge Society (always an economical way of arriving at a fairly decent end product).

On the workbench you can see a Vanwide (with wide doors) and 2 BR standard vans. I have replaced the plastic wheels from the PECO chassis with metal ones. Just need to fix a bit of coupling droop and then it's off to the paint shop for these 3 specimens.

vans2.jpg.481577081f84fa4855778202d8d65ef7.jpg

The layout is now connected up to my PC via an NCE USB interface and JMRI. I've been having fun setting more realistic speed curves and trying to speed match locos of the same type. I'm not going to be obsessive about this (I won't speed match the entire fleet to a particular standard) but I do need locos of similar class to be well matched for the occasional double header. I'm going to use the "J" word, it's all part of the journey :-)

Thanks for reading

Nigel H

• Like 2

Just in case you ever wondered this is what the underside of the board looks like...

trinity-road-wiring.jpg.9533223d2e27c94196ada1e3aef329e0.jpg

I'm not the  tidiest wiring practitioner! I'm going through the process of tidying this up, not least of all to support the wire and fix it to the baseboard so that it doesn't pull at all on any of the connections (I have some adhesive wire tidying clips on order). You can see that I have added some labels to the wiring and I do have a wiring document which details the connections.

The red/black wiring is the track bus. In addition there is an accessory bus which runs power to the control panel then back out to the various accessories. The accessories include Cobalt point motors, yard lighting, a MAS sequencer to control the colour light signal and a USB track interface.

I'm also putting together a brief technical manual just because I seem to always work things out and then forget how I did them! Getting a bit more organised just helps me feel a bit more on top of things and the idea is that it will help prevent future issues or at least make them easier to fix.

I'm very open to any comments on wiring or any further advice...

Thanks

Nige H

• Like 3

It's half term week and the domestic authorities have been amenable to the layout remaining in situ for a few days.

Following up on an earlier post here is a shot of the recent NGS van kits that have now been completed. The shock van and loriot had been previously built. The 3 latest additions (vanwide and 2 standard vans) came out quite well. Only the mineral wagon is not an NGS kit.

vans3.jpg.0c7c252d2f28af11f4c2388d9919fc03.jpg

Cheers

Nigel H

• Like 3

Another layout project on the go... an AL6 in early rail blue with no warning panel.

al6-nov20.jpg.aafeb5bc4192cc3b95c053a5f5d61c9e.jpg

So, I have 2x AL6s for the layout. One (not shown here) was resprayed into early BR livery with small warning panel by Mercig Studios and they did an amazing job. However, I don't have limitless funds so thought I'd have a go at an early livery AL6 without warning panel (the loco on top of the paint pots). It's a straightforward colour scheme, sounds easy right? I was so confident that I purchased a spare body in case I made a complete mess of it!! That's what you see in the foreground.

Anyway, I mixed the blue shade myself. It is brush painted, there are still a few areas to touch up. Transfers from Fox are on order, let's see how it turns out!

I do think it's extraordinary that Dapol hasn't yet released this loco in its original livery but I'm not going to let that stop me! 

Although you won't appreciate it from this image I have inserted a sound decoder into each chassis (a bit of a squeeze for the speaker and I didn't want to remove the PCB or mill out the chassis so it is placed in the rear cab and won't be visible in forwards operation). These bad boys really have a roar now!

Cheers

Nigel H.

• Like 2

Some progress on the early AL6 this week... The spare body shell shows the starting point. Maybe one day I'll try a version with spray paints but for now the newcomer isn't looking too bad. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks

Nigel H.al6-nov20-2.jpg.cb1bc3f4f7c475019e682e7a4eba26b7.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned a little while ago some of the overgrowth and yard clutter have been built up. You can see how the grass has spread with weeds and grass closing in on the building structures.  We now have some more goods packages on the cobbles and some odd bits of debris (such as by the boiler house). In its initial form I think that the goods yard was a bit too clean. More clutter will follow.

nov-20-1.jpg.d2f8b368313a056934bd5d849875c989.jpg

Also the newly painted AL6 looks right at home on the layout... You can see that I forgot to refit a couple of the engine windows so that will be fixed soon.

nov-20-2.jpg.e9e0824103cec610cc8bc1ba98ea01fa.jpg

Thanks

Nigel H

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

2020 has seen the addition of detail and hopefully more finesse to the layout. I'm now starting to experience that "layout is never complete" concept. I'll continue to improve things where I can. 

We are now in December and fifty years ago I'd be eagerly counting down the days to Christmas and be hoping I'd get a few Triang Hornby items; it must be around 50 years ago that I got an EM2 and AL1 (not at the same time!). It's pleasing to have 2 electric locos (2x AL6) on the current day layout.

Here's a short image gallery with some comments to round off the year...

dec-20-1.jpg.9fd8582becd3bcdc96d74db17ea7c9fe.jpg

It's all gone a bit Western Region on platform 1 as a visitor trundles through. Maybe it has been back to the factory at Gorton for some reason and has been pressed into service!

dec-20-2.jpg.3f36d502ce719be722e3a1031355627c.jpg

This is an area that needs some more refinement. I have added Belisha beacons and a figure carrying an umbrella - this is south Manchester after all! - but I'm not happy about how that pedestrian crossing sits up. The road is too bumpy so I think that at some stage I will take steps to smooth it down.

dec-20-3.jpg.8ba2a01946079a48c5c5b6d65f461d3b.jpg

A BRCW type 3 passes through with an oil tank train, mostly made up of the excellent Revolution B Tanks.

dec-20-4.jpg.e2cea751458a3d66f7ea5155d6de5792.jpg

The control panel is illuminated and the fiddle yard is pretty busy. Increasing storage capacity with the additional long sidings has definitely made things easier.

dec-20-5.jpg.947f14dabf9a3d6f0e30d8325b907193.jpg

And finally, a class 04 on a short trip working.

Thanks for reading!

Nigel H.

• Like 10