Trinity Road - 4'x2' urban project in N Gauge

nharding99

9 hours ago, sf315 said:

Looking good Nigel. The layout is really coming on. 

Take it your origin is from Congleton then. 

Which is where I work. 

Thanks Steve 

Yes, I'm a Congletonian through and through :rolleyes:

All the Best

Nigel

6 minutes ago, nharding99 said:

Yes, I'm a Congletonian through and through :rolleyes:

All the Best

Nigel

We call people from Congleton something different. 

But not putting it on here. 

Intresting to see how the layout develops scenics wise. 

Thanks Steve. 

4 hours ago, sf315 said:

We call people from Congleton something different. 

But not putting it on here. 

Intresting to see how the layout develops scenics wise. 

Thanks Steve. 

Ha ha, you can't beat a bit of local rivalry. Some of my family live in North Staffs, my cousins grew up in Biddulph. There used to be a huge rivalry between Congleton & Biddulph. Going back further some of my ancestors came from Mow Cop and Wolstanton (so it was interesting to see your Wulstanton Road layout on the exhibition circuit).

As for the scenery, it has all evolved quite organically, a bit at a time. For the nature side, I think I need to introduce more variety, different types of plants and bushes. I have a couple of trees that haven't been planted yet. The buildings have come along one by one and I've just thought about what I think would look right in a particular spot, there has been no overall master plan for the street buildings.

The layout has been measured up by a friend who works in the timber industry. He will create a backscene and when ready he will bring it to me for fitting and fettling. I'll most likely paint a typical grey Manchester sky then attach some TownScene rooftop prints and some low relief buildings where necessary. Again, I haven't really planned this too much, it will be easier to visualise once the back scene is in place. My daughter has reminded me that she wants some kind of "shout out" to her on the layout!

Cheers

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

On my workbench tonight, some yard lamps courtesy of Kyte's Lights. I wasn't really too bothered about having miniaturised lighting on the layout but I do quite like to see a nice twinkle in a goods yard or at a MPD so I thought I would give these a try. I think that the height of the lamps is good but they are quite chunky so you can see that the subject on the left has had its original ladder cut off and this has been replaced with a fine brass one from Etched Pixels. When the ladder is painted and the gloss toned down I'm sure it will look much more realistic. Ironically the lighting in this photo isn't great.

Also worth a mention - I picked up a copy of the latest Hornby Magazine (I don't always buy it) as it is an edition dedicated to micro layouts. There's an article in there showing some very small actual train formations which I found to be very interesting. Short train formations will be the order of the day on this layout so I found it reassuring that there will be plenty of scope for 2 or 3 wagon trains and the article has given me some great ideas.

Cheers

Nigel H

yard-lights.jpg

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 2

The yard lights are temporarily tacked in place. I'm deliberating about the bases, the 2 furthest from view will be okay to be disguised with some overgrowth of bushes. I'm thinking that the one in the foreground really needs to have a square cut out for the base so that it can be sunk down and planted. I would then need to get the filler out again, smooth it over and paint the yard surface again. I think I need to do it though.

On the right hand side of the layout the apartment block has arrived, been put together and planted. The timber yard structure is taking shape. I'm working on creating some brick walls (not shown here) as an enclosure for the timber business. The close up view of the flats shows that there must be a Labour council in office (not necessarily a reflection of my own political views but let's keep politics out of this). That photo also reveals that I need to do some sweeping up of scenic scatter!

That's all for now.

Thanks

Nigel

goods-yard-update.jpg

karl-marx-house.jpg

right-side-update.jpg

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 2

So the yard lights have been planted and wired up. I have installed an on-off switch on the control panel...

Due to the unavailability of any C list celebrities I flipped the switch myself for the big "switch on" and the lights came on...

I need to do some tidying up around the base of the nearest lamp but I'm quite happy with the results.

Cheers for now

Nigel

panel-switch.jpg

yard-lights-lit-up.jpg

Edited by nharding99

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a trial fit of the backscene. Some apertures need cutting out where it crosses the tracks and it does need some trimming. For me the carpentry has been the least enjoyable part of the project. I think I always knew it would be and I have procrastinated it several times! My friend Mike will help me, he's a busy guy so I have to be patient in waiting for his much appreciated help.

The timber yard is taking shape. I need to finish off the walls and add lots of bundles of wood, perhaps some machinery, general yard clutter and personnel. The office door will likely be repainted into matching red.

And on the station platform some benches have now been added with some diesel oil deposited on the tracks. The station can now be declared "complete"!

That's all for now!

Nigel

backscene.jpg

timber-yard.jpg

station-benches.jpg

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 9

When the family are away I do miss them but it does mean that I can set up the layout for an extended period. I have pretty much setup everything I have completed so far and had a long operating session....

In this first image you can see that the storage sidings are looking busy!

april1.jpg.55e931cfe184b2bf18166bcd3ae4acab.jpg

Here an Ivatt 2MT approaches the station. From this angle it looks like the background buildings are closing in on the scene which is exactly the effect I am looking for...

april2.jpg.22785288112fb762ef17b09cb0dc3944.jpg

Here is an overall view of the layout...

april3.jpg.0ba1ae2cf8febe7a1a165f6edcc77fb4.jpg

And finally, a short video, from the operator's perspective, showing some shunting in the yard... Who left that track rubber in the yard? !!!

Thanks for visiting!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Wow, that backscene is realistic. It actually looks as if the layout is set in an untidy office room. :P

I'll have you know that I put my heart and soul into keeping my office tidy! :D

This is just for you...

april5.jpg.3ee77631212a92601f55f7c173d2d341.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Since I last posted the industrial area (now unofficially known as Mill Street) has had some factories added. These are  Metcalfe kits converted to low relief through some judicious cutting and with replacement plastic roofs to try to give a consistent look and blend them in with other buildings on the layout. The timber yard has some timber in stock, more is needed.

rw-may1.jpg.4b1846183c394cf8b5d492b33c459506.jpg

In the station area no new work, just showing a couple of EE Type 3s crossing each other...

rw-may2.jpg.c1d954ca841b01283664722c057164b6.jpg

That's all for now

Cheers

Nigel H

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A significant day for the layout as the first AC Electric arrives! Some work yet to do of course as the AL6 is in a modern guise so it needs to be back-dated to a ca 1965 AL6 in early BR blue livery  (not Electric blue) with small yellow warning panels. I'm not sure that I trust myself with that work so I'm considering a commission for that when I have some funds (birthday/Christmas or maybe I should setup a JustGiving page (ha ha)). In the meantime, skimming under the masts, the loco looks quite  impressive to my eyes.

al6.jpg.706d2ef9590f994cd561dd073ba8107d.jpg

It's now a year on from when I first started building this layout in earnest. I'm quite pleased with progress, apart from the backscene (the elephant in the room) I have a functioning layout with much of the scenery completed and it has given me alot of pleasure so far!

All the Best

Nigel H

• Like 5

On 27/05/2019 at 13:43, DavidMcKenzie said:

Layouts looking great Nigel. You've achieved a lot in just one year. The AL6 / Class 86 models from Dapol is a brilliant model isn't it. Always great to see the AC electrics on a layout. 

All the best

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, the 86 is a superb model, it runs really sweetly too. Now that the AC electrics have arrived the layout feels more authentic to me.

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomsontour said:

Nigel this really is looking superb :) looking forward to the next update and that 86 really does look the bee knees sitting there in the platform

All the best

Matt :)

Thanks Matt. That photo has highlighted that my platform edge painting was a bit rough. I have since touched up the brickwork! Onwards and upwards :mellow:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have been working on the backscene. This is mark 2, the bendy MDF seemed very heavy and quite difficult to work with so I now have some hardboard with some basic bracing. The right section needs squaring up (re-screwing) so that it mates better in the center. It is, as yet, unpainted.

backscene.jpg.736f112b3af6db3fc98babbb3c728886.jpg

And here is just a quick detail shot of the timber yard which has been stocked with piles of wood in recent days... The factories haven't been fixed down yet so that is why they are looking a bit wonky!

timber-yard2.jpg.7ce7b5df62492f7a037320c773eeb453.jpg

And finally, with the layout looking a bit empty tonight (I haven't got out the road vehicles etc) here is a Sulzer Type 2 pulling a conflat train through the station.

conflat.jpg.b31f919440bff59e90609f21955cb9c2.jpg

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

Nigel

• Like 7

A "Father's Day Special" sees the Blue Pullman put in an appearance today. This 6 car set can't fit in to any of the storage sidings so it has to be placed on the track, run and then immediately removed to allow other stock to circulate. So its appearances are occasional but it does add a touch of class as it effortlessly glides around the layout.

In the background you can see that the back scene has been painted and I have started to infill some printed back scene images.

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

blue-pullman.jpg.f3e61ff31aae51409c00586fcf4245dd.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's time for a balmy July evening update...

A short engineers train is passing through the station. The rather shiny Shark brake van is an N Gauge Society kit in its gloss coat, awaiting transfers. I'll maybe post a detailed picture when it's finished. Longtime readers will notice the introduction of track-side clutter. I guess I'm at the detail stage now which is good fun (though I have to be in the mood for it, maybe the heat is sapping my energy? )

tr1.jpg.e736948a22fa4ea71145385225dc7d08.jpg

Below we have a fault showing photo if ever there was one! I still need to disguise the backscene gap where my measurements, cuttings and hardboard contortions didn't quite meet up. I'm considering using an image of a TV transmitter tower to cover most of the gap and help tidy it up. There's also a rather ugly screw in front of one of the factories that was used to secure the backscene very firmly, I'm hoping that it can be safely removed now that I've used other screws since then.

tr2.jpg.4df7d1e6f0ed4924067beefe8fda0a0e.jpg

Plans for the scene below include adding some supermarket trolleys and pedestrians. I think that just plugging that small light gap between the road and backscene will smarten things up too. The traction engine is a small conceit, it features the layout builders name (though you can't make it out in this particular shot).

tr3.jpg.89944b095168ee9f6abe22b75afd3abe.jpg

That's all for now. Happy modelling everyone!

Nigel H

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Current work is along the lines of adding more detail and finishing touches. Here you can see one or two details have been added to the goods yard (trolley with yard worker, factory workers in the background). Those tarpaulin loads on the road vehicle trailers are from Graham Farish Scenecraft and are rather good in my view.

20190726_092054.jpg.8c9c0d5bae209ade5093a4935116359b.jpg

For those who might be interested in seeing the layout then I have received an invitation to exhibit it at the N Gauge South East exhibition in April 2020. I did think about whether I wanted to do this but my 16 year old daughter thinks I should exhibit it at least once and has offered to help out on the day so we'll be giving it a go. It will be a Northern layout for the Southerners (of which I am one these days!). This means that I will need to think about putting together a lighting rig and a front fascia. Exciting times though :huh:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since the last update but with the last summer (cricket) Test match having reached its conclusion today it's now the end of the summer and we're into a proper modelling season!

am4.jpg.6faba23a9c788efcf53c12b054afbab0.jpg

On my rather messy workbench is my fledgling  AM4 (class 304) unit. The good news is that after a visit to TINGS I now have a motor chassis - a Dapol class 122 will be used. The convenience here is that it is DCC ready (just have to throw in a 6 pin decoder) and the low motor profile means that the motor chassis will fit into the pantograph car. I need to chop off some of the underframe detail (the diesel looking parts) but otherwise I think it will work well, it's a perfect length. It would be cool to add sound, I'm not sure if there is  a class 304 sound project available anywhere.

The pantograph is not permanently fixed yet. I need to see how I will add the details there. Gresley bogies are fitted to all but the power car.

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly but surely progress is being made... On the construction side of things I I have completed some remedial work towards the back of the layout. I was never happy with the fit of the backscene and right hand elevated section. It was over stressed and so now I have mated them properly, added another dowel plug for security and done some filling in and extending of road surfaces and backscene. The walls need to be rebuilt.

remedial.jpg.4b0852ef2c09b2945cdbfe136a99cd89.jpg

The goods yard is a little bit more overgrown now - not particularly seen in this image  but you can see that a tree has been planted to add a touch more greenery (I find that there's a surprising amount of vegetation and trees in a city)

tree-in-yard.jpg.d42970967a7e8527ff7f654001834ac7.jpg

A Class 45 has been returned to traffic - it's been sat in the stock box for quite a while with a transmission problem. Now repaired it can handle trains to/from the Midland route to Manchester.

peak.jpg.020d69e6af6d6eb5056b401cde677885.jpg

And just back from the paint shop, is an AL6 in early blue which surely holds the title of "pride of the line".

al6.jpg.b25d54ee926dc744fd1cc5201d2ea66c.jpg

As ever, thanks for reading.

Nigel H

Edited by nharding99
  • Like 9