Heljan EM1

sagaguy

I`m in the process of replacing the original pantographs with a pair of Trix EM1 pantographs.Has anyone any tips on removing the originals without damaging the body.

Ray.

• 4 months later...

Just a tip off, Hattons have now sold out of Heljan EM1s.

I would've let the forum know that stocks were running low but self-interest kicked in and I managed to bag 2xEM1s at a reasonable price via my sister's credit card a couple of days ago...

As I understand it, Hattons won't be getting any more and frankly there is no way on earth would I be paying Olivia's prices for this model.

It could've all been so different, had the model not been exposed to penny-pinching practices in the first place they would have flown off the shelf.

Got a dozen now. Don't need any more, unless they surface at a good price.

I bought an EM1 from Olivias a couple of years agowhen they were at full price,not complaining though,at the time,they were the only purveyers of Woodhead electrics unles of course you discount s/h Trix models.I bought an EM2 from Hattons sometime ago when they were the right price.One thing i was annoyed about was that the pantographs were non operational,they should have been at nearly £200 a pop.I fitted it with Trix EM1 pantographs which i purchased from the TTRCA,this now works under the wires & picks up traction current from them.The intention is to retrofit them to the EM2 & have a proper working model.

Ray.

• Like 1

I bought an EM1 from Olivias a couple of years agowhen they were at full price,not complaining though,at the time,they were the only purveyers of Woodhead electrics unles of course you discount s/h Trix models.I bought an EM2 from Hattons sometime ago when they were the right price.One thing i was annoyed about was that the pantographs were non operational,they should have been at nearly £200 a pop.I fitted it with Trix EM1 pantographs which i purchased from the TTRCA,this now works under the wires & picks up traction current from them.The intention is to retrofit them to the EM2 & have a proper working model.

Ray.

Indeed Sagaguy.

I've bought a couple of continental pans to replace the abominable Olivia's offerings but the only problem is (and I was chatting to Mr Petty about this earlier) my model is of Reddish Depot, RS (or 9C if you prefer) had OLE at full stretch, the continental offerings irrespective of manufacturers will not reach the contact wire.

Looks like I really need to reacquaint myself with a soldering iron while simultaneously ordering products from Mr Edge.

I think the Trix pantographs would be possibly suitable,i havn`t got a pic of the full height & there is no bracing but they work & i have fitted a subminiature switch in the body to switch between track & the catenary.This is how it should have been in the first place.

post-4249-0-24622900-1538988571_thumb.jpg

Ray.

There are some Tring EM2 pantographs on ebay at the moment but not cheap though!.

Ray.

That's because the guy who used to make replacement Triang pans, both the EM2 and AL1 types, stopped producing them some time ago He's had two of my original EM2 pans for repair for about 5 years now. Despite chasing several times, I got nowhere and have given up on ever seeing them again, sadly. So the ones on ebay are most likely taken from models being broken up for their components, and the prices reflect that with no supply of replacement pans, it's a sellers market.

Incidentally, I bought an EM2 motor bogie the other day, and it had clearly been running on a 3 rail layout as there was a non-standard piece of wire connecting the two pickup strips, which meant that it shorted out the track. That was easily removed and it's now back to 2 rail operation.

Edited by GoingUnderground

• RMweb Gold

I think the Trix pantographs would be possibly suitable,i havn`t got a pic of the full height & there is no bracing but they work & i have fitted a subminiature switch in the body to switch between track & the catenary.This is how it should have been in the first place.

attachicon.gif20180525_205436.jpg

Ray.

I know that some folk are not that impressed with the Heljan model. But those Trix pantographs (60 years old, after all) don't do much for its looks.

Surely, it would not be that difficult for an artisan to produce an etch kit that would be much better than that.

I know that some folk are not that impressed with the Heljan model. But those Trix pantographs (60 years old, after all) don't do much for its looks.

Surely, it would not be that difficult for an artisan to produce an etch kit that would be much better than that.

There already is one, and has been for quite a few years now, the Judith Edge kit, see their catalogue http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

But Ray/Sagaguy wants to run his EM2 under Trix catenary, see his photo, and the Trix pans are much better under Trix catenary. Besides they work and, IMHO, look better than the Heljan ones anyway, which I took great pleasure in removing from my Olivias EM1, replacing them with the Judith Edge ones.

• 1 month later...

I met Mr Edge at the Manchester show last weekend, and bought a pair of his etched pantographs to make up, hopefully in the coming weeks.

I've been studying photos of the locos since, and despite being obsessed with EM1s and Woodhead since a young age I've only just noticed something.

If you look at any photo of an EM1 up until the mid-1970s, the pan head is perfectly flat and horizontal (apart from the horns, of course). Same for EM2s in BR service.

However, if you look at photos from the mid-1970s until closure, the pan heads are curved. Presumably a mod done at Reddish, to aid current collection and/or prevent dewirement.