The Kelsby Light Railway; or, Red's Hopeful Layout

RedGemAlchemist

Wow. That was quick.
post-33750-0-03994700-1529256456_thumb.jpg
Five years worth of stuff removed from a shed in a total of six hours spread over two days. I did not expect it to be that simple. Now we need to level the floor and do some minor repairs to the walls.

I also have this to work with, which I will use to at least get a head-start on baseboards.

post-33750-0-93355400-1529256627_thumb.jpg

The tabletop is actually from the coffee table that used to sit in the living room. The long bits of wood and the pallets are just nice and solid, and should make excellent bases for stuff. Waste not want not and all that.

post-33750-0-03994700-1529256456_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-93355400-1529256627_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

Is it as damp as it looks, or is that an illusion?

I’ve just got visions of snails eating your scenery, that’s all.

Just the light. Though a bottle of car wax did explode over the floor which is what the damp patches came from.

Also finally have truly accurate measurements of it. 8' 6" across, 8' 2" deep, so I FINALLY have a proper idea of the space I'm working with. At least the second measurement from yesterday was more accurate.

• Like 1

Based on the new dimensions, Red and I have been conversing, and we may even have an actual plan!

post-33498-0-38001400-1529360978.png

OK, so due to Anyrail's 50 piece limit I had to do some stitching of different images,  but I think it works and I think Red likes it, so next up will be signalling!

• Like 3

I recently unearthed this rare piece of KLR memorabilia contained within the County Archives held at the Records Office in Norwich:

msg-33498-0-53643800-1529366936_thumb.pn

It appears to be the signal box diagram from Kelsby Signal Box, and I would date it at 1978 due to the fact that track circuits have seemingly appeared, or at least are shown on the diagram. It appeared under the reference KLR26-03/93 so I would assume it entered the archives in 1993 so it would appear some degree of change took place immediately prior to that date. I would imagine the change would have been the rolling out of more track-circuits across the station area.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

First arrival of track turned up today. 

post-33750-0-78580200-1529949538_thumb.jpg

Some vintage Triang stuff. Which brings me to a question that I probably should have considered before buying loads of both.
Are Hornby and old Triang track compatible?

Also I have a new table top as the old one was getting wrecked. Hooray for wood and varnish. xD

Erm... no...

That's the track I initially recommended, but it is not compatible with modern Hornby track, which is what you settled on...

...b*ll*cks.

Fortunately everything else is modern Hornby or Triang and this was the smallest job lot so it's not a massive deal. But I now have a box of old Triang. Probably use it for the test loop or such. If it runs on this it'll probably run on anything lol

• 2 weeks later...

More progress.
The floor has been levelled, the walls have been stabilised, filled and painted, and there's a new mezzanine floor in. 

post-33750-0-38167600-1531243865_thumb.jpg
Those massive bits of chipboard on the left leaning up against the wall? Those are going to be the foundation of my baseboards. Those are the actual KLR boards. This is actually going somewhere and I'm excited as hell.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Those are OSB or sterling board better than chip board but do warp in the wrong conditions as does any sheet material I guess.

Plenty of bracing required for it not to end in tears in a few years time. You maybe going open baseboards in which case all will be well by the very nature of that construction.

Looking good though moved on heaps from a junk filled shed!

Cheers

Ade

Those are OSB or sterling board better than chip board but do warp in the wrong conditions as does any sheet material I guess.

Plenty of bracing required for it not to end in tears in a few years time. You maybe going open baseboards in which case all will be well by the very nature of that construction.

Looking good though moved on heaps from a junk filled shed!

Cheers

Ade

Well I'm just a caretaker. I don't know nuttin' about wood. Although the bracing has been taken into account and all the wood needed has been purchased and is currently sitting in the other shed next door.

Thanks. The shed itself is done. Now it's the actual railway-related stuff though. Specifically first the building of the boards themselves.

Your support, as with everyone else's, is always much appreciated and very motivating Ade.

• Like 1

This is not strictly related to my model railway but this is pretty cool and I didn't know where to put this:

post-33750-0-76910100-1531426826_thumb.jpg

This collection of - I think they're stamps? - of various locomotives belongs to my boss' husband and hangs on the wall by their bedroom. Was there today and he let me take this photo of it.
Also yes, I know my reflection is caught in the glass.

• Like 1

Minor update here, just to link another thread I've made: 
A Personal History of the Kelsby Light Railway.

Inspired by what Sem, Nearholmer and Alex have been doing I decided to do an ongoing thread of musings in the guise of the KLR's current owner, Jacob Bradleigh. Might as well help expand the lore of the KLR and the Castle Aching universe. Also name dropped Corbs' work in there briefly. Congratulations, your incarnation of the NWR is now canon!

• Like 2

MAJOR UPDATE!
BOARDS ARE DOWN! I REPEAT! BOARDS ARE DOWN!

post-33750-0-78037400-1532194492_thumb.jpg
Been a while since I actually updated this with... you know, what's actually going on in Red's Shed. The walls are finished, the floor is carpeted, and most importantly my baseboards have been cut, reinforced and mounted. Well, all bar the right-hand edge but that's all going to be the fiddle yard (this layout is now basically a massive cameo layout with just Kelsby, Hewe and Hewe Wharf.)
Now that's what I call a productive few hours.

• Like 3

Impressive indeed!

If you get fed-up with model railways, you can turn it into a very small, but highly fashionable, coffee bar.

Now, the question: are those boards adequately braced to prevent sagging?

It's hard to tell from the photo what is under the particle board, and indeed how thick that board is. Added to which, it's not a board-type that I've used, so I don't know it's long-term behaviour, especially when used horizontally.

• Like 1

Impressive indeed!

If you get fed-up with model railways, you can turn it into a very small, but highly fashionable, coffee bar.

Now, the question: are those boards adequately braced to prevent sagging?

It's hard to tell from the photo what is under the particle board, and indeed how thick that board is. Added to which, it's not a board-type that I've used, so I don't know it's long-term behaviour, especially when used horizontally.

Thanks Nearholmer, though credit for the board design (and actual cutting) goes to my mum.

The boards are each about an inch thick, and they will be better braced as there's still some more legs to go in. This is just to keep it up while we work on other bits like the fiddle yard and actually cutting the extra woodwork and such.

• RMweb Premium

Inch thick! Are you sure that makes the legs 4 inch square by comparison. Fence posts! Have another measure.

Needs more horizontal bracing or many more legs unless it is an inch thick IMHO.

Cheers

Ade

Inch thick! Are you sure that makes the legs 4 inch square by comparison. Fence posts! Have another measure.

Needs more horizontal bracing or many more legs unless it is an inch thick IMHO.

Cheers

Ade

They ARE four inch square. I know because I bought the wood specifically that size to provide as much support as possible. Go hard or go home  :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They ARE four inch square. I know because I bought the wood specifically that size to provide as much support as possible. Go hard or go home  :P

Blimey Charlie, I stand corrected. Inches not centimetres right that’s chunky.

Cheers

Ade