Hady Hill Resurection -Advice needed

Derbys65

Hi folks , now my divorce has finished and starting a fresh . I’m am resurrecting my layout Hady Hill . But building from scratch .

I am having an 18x10’ shed , my question is , would this be too tight for a roundy layout ? , I’m running mostly panniers and small stock but I also have a B1 and am getting the darsted coaches . Only other bigger loco would be the large prairie when it’s released .

Any help or advice , very much appreciated .

Hi folks , now my divorce has finished and starting a fresh . I’m am resurrecting my layout Hady Hill . But building from scratch .

I am having an 18x10’ shed , my question is , would this be too tight for a roundy layout ? , I’m running mostly panniers and small stock but I also have a B1 and am getting the darsted coaches . Only other bigger loco would be the large prairie when it’s released .

Hello, my shed is the same size! I tried a roundy roundy layout. You can fit a single circuit using peco set curves. The coaches may buffer lock. My Heljan 47 managed the Peco curves ok.

The biggest hassle for me arose from the lift out section. I made a rookey mistake and had (slightly) curved track on this. In warm weather the track expanded just enough to derail trains on every 3rd or 4th circuit.

I also found the circuit used up loads of space. But I still had room for a work bench.

It was great to sit and watch trains go by.

I changed my set up last year to an L shape for a simple BLT layout set up. Loads of operating potential and loads of room left to move about and for storage.

Dougal.

Hello, have you got the space and ability to go outside of the shed to have an out and back again ? If so that would give you a lot more scope if you had an 18’ by whatever you have above 10’ going outside etc.

Best regards

Craig

To be honest, my room is 15' x 20', and that is still tight. I really wanted a double track circuit which I could of had but soon found my favourite 2-8-0 locos would not go round the curves. The 6' rule is acceptable to most 7mm locos, though saying that you could definitely reduce your curves and have no problems if you are using 0-6-0's and 2-6-2's . But a B1 might be a no go, you will probably find the leading wheels ( front bogie ) will snag on the cylinders.

What a lot of people do not take into account, which looks awful in my opinion is the amount of " over hang " as the locos struggle around a tight curve. Okay I might sound a bit fussy but these curves even on a real branch line were a lot more forgiving.

I agree with what Craig said above, if you can go outside and then back in that would look great, or if not a Branch line terminus.

Hope this helps,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

My friend had suggested a similar idea to the larger loco running outside then back in, the image is not to scale just rough . Going through end of shed and back in on the side of the shed . And the smaller locos running on the smaller curve

post-7265-0-70533300-1526851924_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Look at the following compact continuous circuit layouts:

Boxer Bay Railway - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120116-boxer-bay-railway/

Bruckenheim - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71714-br%C3%BCckenheim-page-three-onwards/

Regards,

CK

The second one reminds me of, and I think his name was Ken Ashbury, OO Layouts of the 80's in Railway Modeller, when he went O Gauge he went strait as he put it in the article.

Thankyou for all the help guys , a lot of inspiring stuff there, as are so many of your layouts too. With that in mind , what I am thinking is a backwards L which would be 18’ long and about 3’ wide. Then on the other side of the shed I’m actually looking into getting a oo gauge layout again . So got best of both worlds

• Like 2

The second one reminds me of, and I think his name was Ken Ashbury, OO Layouts of the 80's in Railway Modeller, when he went O Gauge he went strait as he put it in the article.

I think the layouts were called "Ashton and Midport" and depicted a joint GWR/GCR station somewhere in Bucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for all the help guys , a lot of inspiring stuff there, as are so many of your layouts too. With that in mind , what I am thinking is a backwards L which would be 18’ long and about 3’ wide. Then on the other side of the shed I’m actually looking into getting a oo gauge layout again . So got best of both worlds

I think you might find that once you get into 7mm that OO holds little interest. I moved from HO to O and have never regretted it for a moment despite no longer having a layout capable of hosting Pacifics and six coach trains.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...