Darstaed 7mm Finescale O Gauge BR 57' Mk1 Suburban Coaches

Ellis Clark Trains

Evening all,

Firstly, may I apologize for the delay in the first of these coaches getting to us.

However, I am happy to announce that we now have in stock the first of the Crimson coaches, which includes the BS (Brake Seconds), SO (Second Opens) and S (Second) class coaches.

The first of the lined maroon models are due in around 3 weeks.

Amey started ringing around for pre-orders today, although due to Telford prep it has been difficult to get in touch with everyone!

We will bring plenty down to Telford in case you wish to beat us to your order, otherwise we shall be calling on Monday.

All the best,
Ellis.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Is it fair to assume that the specific diagram numbers for these new models won't be appropriate for the LMR since they aren't the Metrogauge version? From what I have learned (at least with the initial allocation) only metrogauge versions of the mk1 suburbans went to the LMR because of the clearance issues between St Albans and Moorgate. Or am I wrong, could these also be appropriate for a M prefixed number? I'm wanting a M region early 1950s rake. Thankfully my 1960s ER rake won't be so tricky.

1 hour ago, seeseerider said:

Hi All,

Is it fair to assume that the specific diagram numbers for these new models won't be appropriate for the LMR since they aren't the Metrogauge version? From what I have learned (at least with the initial allocation) only metrogauge versions of the mk1 suburbans went to the LMR because of the clearance issues between St Albans and Moorgate. Or am I wrong, could these also be appropriate for a M prefixed number? I'm wanting a M region early 1950s rake. Thankfully my 1960s ER rake won't be so tricky.

No Composites were built to Metrogauge. Standard dimensioned lots on the shorter underframe included M41000-41014.

The Brake Second included M43360-43367 to Metrogauge. Standard dimensioned lots on the shorter underframe included M43226-432259, 43267-43299, 43300-43310.

The Second (compartment) included M46299-46306 to Metrogauge. Standard dimensioned lots on the shorter underframe included M46063-46084.

The Second Open included M48035-48042 to Metrogauge with the other two lots allocated to the WR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pint of Adnams said:

The Second Open included M48035-48042 to Metrogauge with the other two lots allocated to the WR.

Thank you Pint of Adnams, so I just need to avoid the SO for the LMR. I’m glad I still have options.

I will be researching where the non-metrogauge M coaches were in service.

Good evening all,

Excellent news - the first of the Maroon lined and un-lined suburbans are now in stock!

This includes, in both liveries, Brake Seconds, Composites with Lavatory, Seconds, and of course Set A, which is made-up by one of each plus an extra brake second.

Amey started ringing round for pre-orders today, but due to the sheer number, will have to continue tomorrow - as always, you can beat us to it and order through the website, or call between 9 - 5 tomorrow.

All the best,
Ellis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was just wondering, and dare I ask? Is the height of the Suburbans scaled/has the bogie height/relative height matter been sorted since the MK1s?

They look very good in most regards, but it's often hard to tell from photos (without locos etc).

Also does anyone know if the WR or SR (regions) ever ran these in two car sets, akin to the exGWR B-Sets?? Or were they run in three car sets?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Atvb

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

5 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi all,

I was just wondering, and dare I ask? Is the height of the Suburbans scaled/has the bogie height/relative height matter been sorted since the MK1s?

They look very good in most regards, but it's often hard to tell from photos (without locos etc).

Also does anyone know if the WR or SR (regions) ever ran these in two car sets, akin to the exGWR B-Sets?? Or were they run in three car sets?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Atvb

CME.

Hi there,

Happy to confirm these are fully to scale.

Correct height, width and length, alongside correct scale bogies (also available separately) and scale wheels.

There's a couple of pics of them on our website's gallery page, also there's a few that have been posted on the Gauge O Guild forum.

We're currently updating and adding more to our gallery page.

There's also a video of them running on Grindley Brook, which can be found on our Facebook page.

Not sure how many the Western region used in rakes - the Southern region opted for the 63ft suburbans however.

All the best,

Ellis.

1 hour ago, Fastdax said:

Hi Ellis,

Will you have a good range of 57' suburbans for sale at Warley?

Thanks.

Hi Duncan,

We will indeed!

Although, if there's any particular coach type/livery you're interested in, please feel free to let me know.

I can then hold them back (no obligation of course) until you've had a look.

All the best,

Ellis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ellis kindly gave us two MK1 Suburban's to review for the MIOG website and has allowed us to give them away via the MIOG website. As Ellis says its 'our little way of doing something positive during the current Worldwide situation'. 

Our review is here: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/darstaed-suburban.html

And you can enter the competition here: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/competition.html

Entries close on the 3rd April 2020 at 23:59

Winner will be drawn on the 4th April 2020 and announced via our Facebook page, Please note the winner will be contact by the email address and phone number provided.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue to me with getting the roofs off their Mk.1 suburbans? (for installing passengers, toning down the lighting, etc).

As per the instructions, the roof is held on with captive screws at each end which can be reached with a long screwdriver up thru' the floor (after the bogies have been removed) - no problem there - the same as the mainline coaches.  However, on the Brake Second, and Second coaches, the 'path' for the screwdriver is partially blocked by the seating in the end compartments making it impossible to get even the smallest 'drive up thru the whole.  Actually a relatively large Philips/posidrive screwdriver is needed due to the size of the screw head.   

As you can see from the attached pic, I ended up having to poke a drill thru' the hole in the floor and take a chunk out of the seat.  Apart from the obvious visual issue, the process created hundreds of particles of plastic swarf which distributed itself around the inside of the coach, and which has proven very fiddly to remove (If you don't it looks awful, which destroys the otherwise excellent interior ambiance of the coach).

Has anybody had the same problem, and if so did you find a way around it without resorting to surgery?

Thanks

James

IMG_9937.jpg