Arundel Exhibition?

EmporiaSub

Now let's see.... first post on RMWeb (at least it is under that name....) and joined at half ten last night......

Anyone see where I'm going with this ;)

President Trump?

He usually starts moaning about that time, didn't think he'd be into these kind of models.

Having read President Trump's businesslike letter to the leader of North Korea I now realise 'TheChairman' is none other than Kim Jong-un.

We are honoured that he took time out from his busy schedule blowing up tunnels to find time to support Dakota Dibben.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry my mistake.

And one I suspect he's hoping lots of people make. I did a double take, originally reading it as you did, and thinking "surely not!?".

I just obtained a copy of Model Rail and noticed the exhibitions for Dulwich and Arundel in there.

One is by Dulwich MRS, the other by Arundel MRS.....

I know one of the exhibitors attending at Arundel, so I'll go along and see what it is like.

Seeing neither show appears to have any traders, will be interesting to see what is on offer there.

God, what a lot of whingers some of you guys are! Selkent must have too much time on his hands to act in such a mean spirited manner. There he is, setting himself up as some of kind of 'defender of railway modelling' when in fact he is little more than a small minded, vindictive bully who can't move on from something that didn't work out for him some years ago! Honestly, get a life and let Dekota wotsisname - perhaps his friends call him DC3 - get on with organising his exhibitions. I think it says more about Selkent's state of mind than anything else. Here you have one bloke using his nous to make a living, and thereby broaden the interest of model railways, and another shooting him down and dragging down the hobby in doing so? Selkent must be very jealous to be ringing around venues and insurance companies trying to stir up trouble where none exists. If I was Dakota, I would be calling in the lawyers by now if this ridiculous posting doesn't get taken down very soon. 

Dear The Chairman,   I do have lots of time on my hands as arrived for a nice weeks holiday in Cornwall earlier today thanks.   Can I ask which Chairman are you?, the Mid Kent Model Railway club, The Mid Sussex Model Railway club or the English Riviera Model Railway Club or the chairman of DD Exhibitions?   Anyway, you are or were someone very close to DD and as DD voice it seems or representative, thank you for your opinion of  me being a small minded bully, I prefer the term docile sleeping bear who was prodded by DD once to often and doesn't just lay down take it.    I am not jealous, more flattered in some respects especially has DD Exhibitions use our direct copy of a event poster in style and font and pass it off has the DD exhibitions one.  This bloke isn't using his 'nous' as if he were, he have worked out instead of annoying people like me, he could have worked with me,   simple phone or email saying was I still doing Sevenoaks or not, instead of trying to take it and also the fact he has a show now in Southborough 6 weeks before our show, would actually of helped us as we could have had our leaflets up at his show.   Also not jealous and happy to ring around venues as the venue I use gives discounts for non profit and volunteer hires, so as he books venues under fake model railway clubs, I think it is fair that if anyone who is dragging the hobby down, it isn't me.  If I suspect a possible insurance fraud, I have the right to report it, as does any member of the public.   There is a general insurance fraud hotline that anyone can use, it's anonymous, but I am happy to not be on this one. and I am not saying he is insured with Magnets, he may be insured with any company but as most exhibitions do insure with them, they are the ones I called and asked.   BTW I never mentioned DD in the conversation, just asked what their policy was if someone lied on a application form for insurance and the answer was it would be invalid.   As he has booked the venues under pretend model railway club names, to protect people who go along, the paying public, and the exhibitors,  and those eating as many of the shows DD runs, they do the catering also I think everyone at every exhibition anywhere in the UK needs to be happy they will be covered at an event, for a fall, a breakage of a layout or food related incident, so again so the hobby does not get dragged down.  He has got lots of feedback from  me and other posters on this tread,  he up to now hasn't responded which he has the right to do,  I know if I was being possibly accused of  using a fake name on my insurance application, on this forum I would immediately send proof I wasn't,   Just a simple attachment on here for recent shows and will prove me wrong.  Hope that answers your questions and assumptions about me Mr The Chairman. 

Edited by Selkent
  • Like 3

I just obtained a copy of Model Rail and noticed the exhibitions for Dulwich and Arundel in there.

I know one of the exhibitors attending at Arundel, so I'll go along and see what it is like.

Seeing neither show appears to have any traders, will be interesting to see what is on offer there.

I live close to Dulwich and there is no Dulwich m.r.s. It would be my local club if there were and I'd certainly know about it. A Google does not throw up an Arundel m.r.s. although there might be one.

I'd get your friend to ask to see the insurance cert before the set up, better safe than sorry!

CAT

• RMweb Gold

Living in Worthing I have visited Arundel many times and I think have been in the Cathedral Centre a few times. I recall it to be a Church Hall type building with a first floor gallery around the edge of the ground floor. Both the ground floor and gallery are divided up into “shoplets” mainly selling antiques. They will all have to be cleared out if a model railway exhibition isn’t to have any chance of fitting.

Parking in Arundel is not easy. The best place is the main car park opposite the entrance to the Castle or on the adjacent road. It’s a long walk to the top of the hill where I think the cathedral Centre is located. The Cathedral itself is certainly located there!!! There is parking for about 3.5 cars in the yard in front of the place.

Never heard of an Arundel MRS.

Darius

Surely Model Rail (and maybe other magazines & websites) should check that a club actually exists before publishing? 

• RMweb Premium

To my previous point what makes a club exist? Genuine question. Clearly it’s being used as a deception tactic here, but is it just immoral, or actually wrong?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly not. The record stands at 0 - preemptive strikes. ;)

Ah, one of the tougher challenges then.  This needs thinking about. :scratchhead:

How to get banned before you apply.....a challenge.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There is no Arundel MRC, the nearest one is Bognor if I recall correctly (and they are actually based in the old Barnham signal box which isn't in Barnham (or Bognor for that matter!), its in Aldingbourne - confused yet?!?)

I am off that day and only a twelve minute train ride away so may sidle along and see what's going on...

There is no Arundel MRC, the nearest one is Bognor if I recall correctly (and they are actually based in the old Barnham signal box which isn't in Barnham (or Bognor for that matter!), its in Aldingbourne - confused yet?!?)

I am off that day and only a twelve minute train ride away so may sidle along and see what's going on...

Perhaps a video or some pics of the exhibition will help us Northerners see what a DD exhibition looks like

Dear The Chairman,    Can I ask which Chairman are you?, ............... the Mid Kent Model Railway club, The Mid Sussex Model Railway club or the English Riviera Model Railway Club or the chairman of DD Exhibitions? ....?..........  If I suspect a possible insurance fraud, I have the right to report it, as does any member of the public.   There is a general insurance fraud hotline that anyone can use,

H.M.R.C. Would probabably also be interested in all these people and 'Clubs' dealing in large amounts of cash, trading, presumably for profit, hope it's all been declared.....

Peter

• Like 5

To my previous point what makes a club exist? Genuine question. Clearly it’s being used as a deception tactic here, but is it just immoral, or actually wrong?

A genuine club would need to have members. It is normal for a club to have a constitution to say what it is there for, minutes of meetings to show what decisions have been made and annual financial accounts so the members can see what is happening with the money they have taken part in raising (and also so the HMRC can also see if they ask). If there is no constitution, record of meetings or accounts then there is almost certainly no club.

For instance I have a group of friends with garden railways. We share emails within the group and arrange days to visit each others gardens (the entrance fee for such events being a pork pie or packet of cookies). We sometimes arrange days out together. In some ways this sounds like a club and maybe feels like a club but we are just a group of people with no formalities and no declared reason for getting together so we are not a club. Perhaps more importantly, we do not get involved in any activities where money is transacted so we cannot have any accounts.

If any individual or group carries out activities which raise income then there is a legal requirement for all financial activities to be recorded and declared to HMRC if it is taxable.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

Hmm, up to 20 layouts, one day show and it’s “tip to be one of the largest in the country”. Not sure what that statement actually means but it is clearly nonsense and it to connect that sort of show in any way with being one of the largest in the country is false advertising.

The problem is that if people go to this they may be put off proper large model railway exhibitions. Maybe the organisers of the larger shows should get together and threaten him with legal action?

I'm not a fan of this guys or his shows. He's quite aware of that.

How ever I always insist of 'fairness' in these things.

To be clear, if you are referring to post #5, the word is County not Country!

However, if post #5 refers to the UK Model Shop listing, it looks like it's been changed.

To Andy Y.

These exhibitions have come up before and it was shown that Dekota was inventing 'clubs/groups' to advertise his shows as though it was a local club putting on the show.

The original 'complaints/discussions' were about him running shows in areas where other Clubs existed but his had not financial support for local clubs. Just his pocket and (as he says) Charities.

Dave.

I live close to Dulwich and there is no Dulwich m.r.s. It would be my local club if there were and I'd certainly know about it. A Google does not throw up an Arundel m.r.s. although there might be one.

I'd get your friend to ask to see the insurance cert before the set up, better safe than sorry!

CAT

Dulwich MRS could be Model Railway Show.

However, the entries seem to have been 'updated' and show DD Exhibitions now.

Dave

Although you may do as you wish. I would caution  against exhibiting with DD or Mid kent or any other pseudonym Mr. Dibben may use. You may well find that he will approach you, about mid afternoon,  and suggest that the show has not done well and tell you that he wants to pay one third of your reasonable expenses. none of which he has explained before hand. You will also find that lunch, normally provided in most shows or at least pre-warned as not provided is a variable feast, as in not, and tea costs. Parking for vans and cars is at cost of local authorities and not refundable ,you will find this out when you arrive.

Don't ask me how I know!

CAT 

How do you know?

Dave

• Like 1

Dulwich MRS could be Model Railway Show.

However, the entries seem to have been 'updated' and show DD Exhibitions now.

Dave

I note that UK Model Shops indicates it is Dulwich Model Railway Show,

however, Model Rail indicates Dulwich MRS Exhibition.

There is also no contact details for the Organiser.