Arundel Exhibition?

EmporiaSub

Anyone know of an exhibition to be held in Arundel on the 16th June?

Heard about it on the grapevine, but have seen no advertising.

Understand a couple of layouts locally have been invited.

Brian

Anyone know of an exhibition to be held in Arundel on the 16th June?

Heard about it on the grapevine, but have seen no advertising.

Understand a couple of layouts locally have been invited.

Brian

Look on UK Model Shops - DD Exhibitions has organised one.

The following is extracted from The Arundel Web Site. Amongst other issues, Dakota doesn't do spelling or grammar!

Bill

"Massive Model Railway Show steaming into town!

You’re invited to make tracks to a model railway show in Arundel on Saturday 16th June 2018.

The first one in Royal Arundel in over 10 years and is tip to be one of the largest in the county. The exhibition is across two floors!

The event is being held from 10am to 4.30pm at the Arundel Cathedral Centre, London Rd, Arundel, BN18 9AY.

People are invited to make tracks to the model railway show to see up to 20 model railway layouts, along with a number of trade stands, will be on show in a variety of scales from tiny z gauge to o gauge.

The exhibition is being supported by clubs and modellers from around the South.

There is something about model railways that retains a fascination for those of all ages from five to ninety and probably beyond.

Despite the attractions of other hi-tech past times, many people always find times to enjoy model trains in action and their will be plenty for visitors to see.

The exhibition will be an opportunity for people to enjoy nostalgia in miniature for others to learn about a new potential past time or simply appreciate the care taken to create a model railway.

We are extremely grateful to all the exhibitors who are taking part in the event, some whom are travelling long distances to attend.

There’s free parking on the London Road and a small admission to the event."

• RMweb Premium

He seems to use the exact same press release for every exhibition. I've never been to one, but seem to see that wording very frequently. Normally seems to also champion Cato Pass sci-fi steam punk railway or whatever. Very strange.

• RMweb Gold

He seems to use the exact same press release for every exhibition. I've never been to one, but seem to see that wording very frequently. Normally seems to also champion Cato Pass sci-fi steam punk railway or whatever. Very strange.

I have........'lnspirational' it wasn't.

• Like 2

We've been over this subject and the organiser before.

All done for personal profit and some (unknown figure) to some unknown Charity.

I have not been able to find any news that income from his little shows goes to Model Railway Clubs.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Dave

• Like 3

Odd he still uses DD Exibitions on model railway known listing sites, but despite a year or so back being caught making up fake model railway clubs around the country,which was documented on this forum, he still books venues under the name MID KENT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB and these venues assume it is a local model railway club not a commercial event organiser.  Reason I know as Dekota tried to take over our Sevenoaks show venue last year, under the same name, many venues give discounts to non commercial hires so I can see why he does it, it's just wrong.  Lucky the person he called to try and book my venue knew I hadnt stopped doing shows, just took a year off that venue while they did a big rebuild of it. The last two shows he ran last month were booked with the venue as Mid Kent Model Railway Club at Rye and Tunbridge Wells and the show he has this Sat in Dulwich also booked under same name.  Feel free to contact each of the venues to check for yourself and confirm.   Hopefully now he has seen this, if he is clever enough he will contact whichever venue he as booked in Arundel and change the booking name to his name before someone calls them and sees what name he is using and do they offer discounts for non profit organisations when hiring.  

This begs the question,  under what name does he take out show insurance, as I have checked with Megnets and they confirm they would never pay out if there was  false or misleading information was supplied in the application.  I strongly advise any exhibitor who has booked to exhibit with him to request to see the actual insurance certificate and to confirm it says Dekota Dibben and his actual address, as if it doesn't and has a made up name, it will be invalid.

He does read this forum and will see this and other postings here.   He hopefully will respond on here and tell us about  MID KENT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB, how can people join?, where do they meet and when?, their website details?, do they have a club house?.  What is the correspondance address and email contact and phone number of the club?.  

He has been banned from attending a number of exhibitions as a trader and also even as a visitor because of how he operates and a growing number of exhibitors have had a run in with him over conduct on a number of issues.   

He advertises five quality traders at all his shows on UKModelShops,  although this just means him selling secondhand bubble wrapped model rail bits and no sight of the other four traders.   However at the Dulwich show this week, he will have two stunning layouts, one of which is massive and both from Southwark MRC which he is getting for free (ie no expenses) as in return they are doing a  preloved stall to sell some of their items. The discussion with Southwark members last week at our club night drinkies is they should have offered one for free in return for the stand and got expenses for the other, but Southwark MRC are too nice for that option.   I donated a few new and used items to them to sell this Saturday for their club. Please if you go,  try and buy something from their stand and not the overpriced secondhand bubblewrapped stuff from Dekota.  

He seems to carry on upsetting many in this community and doesnt seem to care dispite many warnings from people face to face with him and on forums such as this.  Typical example, he is banned from any show or event we run.   He tries to get around this by contacting a exibitor and offering to help them with their layout assuming he then has to be allowed into our exhibition.  This put the exibitor in a awkward position the night before the show when we found out and stopped Dekota attending. 

I used to actually try to help him in the past  and  vocally defend him on this forum when other commented on how he operates until the two times he tried to pull a fast one on me and now  as a modeller, exhibitor and exhibition manager, I want to tell as many as possible how he operates.  When I was friends with him, he told me he had plans for a exhibition in every county,  it seems it doesn't matter who he treads on for him to get the commercial dream he wants. 

Edited by Selkent
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Except someone posted the press release above which didn't state 5...

Out of interest is there a legal definition of a club? Can he be a one man club? Who is the arbiter of all clubs to ensure they're official?

Putting personal prejudices aside, I agree that if he's a commercial entity who's trying to get discounts by pretending to be a not-for-profit organisation then that's a bit rubbish, but is there anything actually stopping him booking exhibitions under a "club" name?

• Like 1

Odd he still uses DD Exibitions on model railway known listing sites, but despite a year or so back being caught making up fake model railway clubs around the country,which was documented on this forum, he still books venues under the name MID KENT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB and these venues assume it is a local model railway club not a commercial event organiser.  Reason I know as Dekota tried to take over our Sevenoaks show venue last year, under the same name, many venues give discounts to non commercial hires so I can see why he does it, it's just wrong.  Lucky the person he called to try and book my venue knew I hadnt stopped doing shows, just took a year off that venue while they did a big rebuild of it.   He also in his pitch to venues plays on the autistic card and talking to a number of exhibitors and exhibition managers, he often uses this when he gets cornered for his actions. The last two shows he ran last month were booked with the venue as Mid Kent Model Railway Club at Rye and Tunbridge Wells and the show he has this Sat in Dulwich also booked under same name.  Feel free to contact each of the venues to check for yourself and confirm.   Hopefully now he has seen this, if he is clever enough he will contact whichever venue he as booked in Arundel and change the booking name to his name before someone calls them and sees what name he is using and do they offer discounts for non profit organisations when hiring.  

This begs the question,  under what name does he take out show insurance, as I have checked with Megnets and they confirm they would never pay out if there was  false or misleading information was supplied in the application.  I strongly advise any exhibitor who has booked to exhibit with him to request to see the actual insurance certificate and to confirm it says Dekota Dibben and his actual address, as if it doesn't and has a made up name, it will be invalid.

He does read this forum and will see this and other postings here.   He hopefully will respond on here and tell us about  MID KENT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB, how can people join?, where do they meet and when?, their website details?, do they have a club house?.  What is the correspondance address and email contact and phone number of the club?.  

He has been banned from attending a number of exhibitions as a trader and also even as a visitor because of how he operates and a growing number of exhibitors have had a run in with him over conduct on a number of issues.   

He advertises five quality traders at all his shows on UKModelShops,  although this just means him selling secondhand bubble wrapped model rail bits and no sight of the other four traders.   However at the Dulwich show this week, he will have two stunning layouts, one of which is massive and both from Southwark MRC which he is getting for free (ie no expenses) as in return they are doing a  preloved stall to sell some of their items. The discussion with Southwark members last week at our club night drinkies is they should have offered one for free in return for the stand and got expenses for the other, but Southwark MRC are too nice for that option.   I donated a few new and used items to them to sell this Saturday for their club. Please if you go,  try and buy something from their stand and not the overpriced secondhand bubblewrapped stuff from Dekota.  

He seems to carry on upsetting many in this community and doesnt seem to care dispite many warnings from people face to face with him and on forums such as this.  Typical example, he is banned from any show or event we run.   He tries to get around this by contacting a exibitor and offering to help them with their layout assuming he then has to be allowed into our exhibition.  This put the exibitor in a awkward position the night before the show when we found out and stopped Dekota attending. 

I used to actually try to help him in the past  and  vocally defend him on this forum when other commented on how he operates until the two times he tried to pull a fast one on me and now  as a modeller, exhibitor and exhibition manager, I want to tell as many as possible how he operates.  When I was friends with him, he told me he had plans for a exhibition in every county,  it seems it doesn't matter who he treads on for him to get the commercial dream he wants. 

Blimey.

You've changed your tone.

Dave

Although you may do as you wish. I would caution  against exhibiting with DD or Mid kent or any other pseudonym Mr. Dibben may use. You may well find that he will approach you, about mid afternoon,  and suggest that the show has not done well and tell you that he wants to pay one third of your reasonable expenses. none of which he has explained before hand. You will also find that lunch, normally provided in most shows or at least pre-warned as not provided is a variable feast, as in not, and tea costs. Parking for vans and cars is at cost of local authorities and not refundable ,you will find this out when you arrive.

Don't ask me how I know!

CAT 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Royal Arundel?!?  I know it has got a (mostly Victorian fake rebuild) castle and is home to the Duke of Norfolk but that is about it.  If the 'Cathedral Centre' is the building I think it is I am pretty certain there is not two floors to it, its all on one level unless it has had a major rebuild recently.

If you are thinking of going (and I really want to just to find out just how bad this is being made out to be!!!) then be aware that the Cathedral and therefore I presume the Cathedral Centre are at the top of a very steep hill and parking in the town, particularly that bit is nigh on impossible on a weekend  You will need to use the Council car parks, both at the bottom of the hill near the river or the road that heads off in the wrong direction towards the (much recommended) Wildfowl & Wetlands Centre.

God, what a lot of whingers some of you guys are! Selkent must have too much time on his hands to act in such a mean spirited manner. There he is, setting himself up as some of kind of 'defender of railway modelling' when in fact he is little more than a small minded, vindictive bully who can't move on from something that didn't work out for him some years ago! Honestly, get a life and let Dekota wotsisname - perhaps his friends call him DC3 - get on with organising his exhibitions. I think it says more about Selkent's state of mind than anything else. Here you have one bloke using his nous to make a living, and thereby broaden the interest of model railways, and another shooting him down and dragging down the hobby in doing so? Selkent must be very jealous to be ringing around venues and insurance companies trying to stir up trouble where none exists. If I was Dakota, I would be calling in the lawyers by now if this ridiculous posting doesn't get taken down very soon. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

God, what a lot of whingers some of you guys are! Selkent must have too much time on his hands to act in such a mean spirited manner. There he is, setting himself up as some of kind of 'defender of railway modelling' when in fact he is little more than a small minded, vindictive bully who can't move on from something that didn't work out for him some years ago! Honestly, get a life and let Dekota wotsisname - perhaps his friends call him DC3 - get on with organising his exhibitions. I think it says more about Selkent's state of mind than anything else. Here you have one bloke using his nous to make a living, and thereby broaden the interest of model railways, and another shooting him down and dragging down the hobby in doing so? Selkent must be very jealous to be ringing around venues and insurance companies trying to stir up trouble where none exists. If I was Dakota, I would be calling in the lawyers by now if this ridiculous posting doesn't get taken down very soon. 

You report a post demanding action be taken (it's already under discussion with DD and I am awaiting a response there) and then you pile in to up the temperature and make your own defamatory statements.

Rein it in please.

• Round of applause 1

Hmm, up to 20 layouts, one day show and it’s “tip to be one of the largest in the country”. Not sure what that statement actually means but it is clearly nonsense and it to connect that sort of show in any way with being one of the largest in the country is false advertising.

The problem is that if people go to this they may be put off proper large model railway exhibitions. Maybe the organisers of the larger shows should get together and threaten him with legal action?

• RMweb Premium

Largest in the county, not country. All of his exhibitions use that exact wording. Saves on time I guess, and I'm sure Arundel will be pleased at being elevated to "Royal" status!

• RMweb Premium

Now let's see.... first post on RMWeb (at least it is under that name....) and joined at half ten last night......

Anyone see where I'm going with this ;)

• Like 2

Now let's see.... first post on RMWeb (at least it is under that name....) and joined at half ten last night......

Anyone see where I'm going with this ;)

President Trump?

He usually starts moaning about that time, didn't think he'd be into these kind of models.

• Funny 1

I hope you have handed out warnings to others making defamatory statements here - treat like with like at least? better still remove the entire conversation?

I don't recall advertising for another moderator.

Think what you like, sunshine!

I hope you enjoyed your short stay on RMweb.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1