Accessory Bus

Ch4lkst3r

Hi,

At the moment my point decoders are all running off the track bus but this does cause the occasional issue when I forget to change points and polarity is then wrong.  I'm also about to start signalling the layout and want to separate signals/points to another accessory bus.  I have a NCE Procab but as this only has one output I assume I need to connect 2 sets of wires to the track output but put some kind of breaker into my existing track bus so that it will trip before the Procab.  If my thinking is correct can someone recommend what I should be buying.

Thanks

Iain

• RMweb Premium

I bought a DCC Specialities PSX-1 for this exact purpose. I actually still find my points shut down when I get a short, which is frustrating, particularly as they cycle when they restart, so I get caught in an endless loop of derailments and shorts!

Ended up switching to an entirely different system (Sprog) to control my points independently.

• RMweb Gold

If using a PSX-1 then you connect the output of that to the track, but the accessory bus must bypass the PSX-1.  Easiest way is to connect the accesssory bus to the link terminals on the PSX-1 (ie link provided for the next PSX-1).  In this way a DCC track short trips the PSX-1 but not the command station, so the accessory bus remains live. 

I have separate track and points buses (busses?). This method of course usually requires separate controllers to be effective in isolating track shorts from mucking up the points, i.e. if you get a derail and track short due to a missed point then with separate buses you can correct the point by switch and then reset the track in turn. A single bus requires you to sort the track short scenario then reset the point, etc.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Rob, you don't need seperate controllers if you use the method suggested where you take the accessory bus direct from the controller and the loco bus from the accessory bus through a power breaker such as NCE EB-1, PSX-1 or MERG DCO.

The power breaker trips stopping the track power but still permitting operation of the points from the single controller and if the power breaker is auto-reset then the trains will start again almost immediately the short is removed.

This is exactly how I operate my layout and it works 100% of the time (I use NCE EB-1) :)

You do not need two controllers.

I split the DCC output from my Lenz system through two NCE EB1 Circuit breakers. One for the track bus and one for the accessory bus. Set the jumpers to the protection level you need.

Here they are mounted on a bit of plywood. DCC in on the left, buses out on the right.

The breaker on the Accessory Bus is probably unnecessary but I like the security.

John K

Edited for typos

post-8675-0-40680100-1527149952_thumb.jpeg

Edited by John K
  • Like 1

The other advantage to having it all on DCC is that with one controller you can control every as everything has an address that can be swiched off and on easily - especially when you automate the layout using an appropriate programme :)

If using a circuit breaker make sure that it is set to trip at a lower current than your command station can supply. If you have a command station that is a bit trigger happy it might be worth getting a booster to power the track instead of a circuit breaker.