AJM Railways and Bachmann Returns

Glenn Goldsmith

Hi Members,

I am currently in the process of returning a Bachmann City Class loco to AJM Railways from Australia.

It came with a very loose smoke door, which I didn't think too much of at first.  But then I got it on the track and it turned out to be very annoying, popping open at any given time especially on curves, points and when braking.  Sadly, uncharacteristically for a Bachmann Branchline City Class loco, it also had bad pulsating forward running at realistic speeds (All pickups had good contact).

It did also arrived in a tired looking box, like it had seen some shelf life, so I assumed it may have also had some test/track time.  Which didn't bother me, as we know these items can hang around in-store for a while and see the odd bit of test running.  As long as there are no faults, nothing broken when we open the box and it runs well we are very happy enthusiasts.

I returned the loco under AJM Railway's warranty as stated on their website and as dictated to me via our PayPal communication.  Amanda at AJM Railways said she would have Bachmann look into it upon the return of the locomotive. The loco has been back AJM Railways since the 17th May and I have had no further communication from them, so I am still waiting to hear back on the matter.

So my question is, are there any other non-UK members who have had return experience with AJM Railways in regards to Bachmann products that can shed some further light on the whole return process for me (how long it took to complete, etc).

Cheers, Glenn.

As you paid via PayPal, contact them and use their 'Buyers Protection' to gain a full refunded, inc. postage, immediately. They then chase the Seller for the refund. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security 

Unsure why this is not in the retailers section, as it has nothing to do with Bachmann. AJM is not, as pointed out, a stockist of Bachmann: https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/stockists/ 

A far more secure route, is using your Credit Card protection, rather than PayPal for future purchases. 

• Like 1

Unsure why this is not in the retailers section, as it has nothing to do with Bachmann. AJM is not, as pointed out, a stockist of Bachmann:

It is from a new poster. It is a Bachmann product. Poster was most probably unaware of situation re AJM and Bachmann.

Salmay Dalmay Adonay.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

As you paid via PayPal, contact them and use their 'Buyers Protection' to gain a full refunded, inc. postage, immediately. They then chase the Seller for the refund. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security 

Unsure why this is not in the retailers section, as it has nothing to do with Bachmann. AJM is not, as pointed out, a stockist of Bachmann: https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/stockists/ 

A far more secure route, is using your Credit Card protection, rather than PayPal for future purchases. 

Apologies. I thought the topic area was for all things relating to Bachmann (the best mid priced model train maker around) not just strictly a thread for the manufacturer. Sorry again, Glenn.

Edited by Glenn Goldsmith

It is from a new poster. It is a Bachmann product. Poster was most probably unaware of situation re AJM and Bachmann.

Salmay Dalmay Adonay.

Hi Free At Last, Thanks for back-up.  I was indeed confused about it being strictly a thread for manufacturer Bachmann, I thought it was just a general thread on anything Bachamnn.  Can't help but to notice, because of your user name, your a fan of the best hard rock group the planet has seen, FREE.  I have been a big fan of FREE since I was 12 (long ago).  I made that first big conceptual leap in my playing by learning to play along with the FREE LIVE album.  Great you recognised Catweazle as-well.  Sadly we lost Geoffrey last year.  All the Best, Glenn

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware, AJM is NOT based in Australia. They specialize in supplying Australia and other non-UK countries but from the UK, not from Australia.

Unless my geography is really poor.....

A J M Railways. Stile Top Farm, Lower Norwood Road, Otley, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, LS21 2RA

I should give them a tad longer, TBh.

If they had it on 17, it’s only 25 now.

Another week and I’d start asking questions

At least that long if, as reported above, she needs to have Bachman look at it. Purchased a lot of items from Amanda over the last few years and would rate her among the most honest, straightforward, suppliers I have used.

• Agree 1

Hi Members,

The issue of the faulty loco has been resolved with a refund from AJM Railways, I am just waiting for it to clear back onto my credit card. Thanks for your input. There is more that could be said/revealed about the whole process/experience but that's not what this forum is about.

Thanks, Glenn.

Hi Wirey33,

Everyone knows this to be the situation/setup, that's why I was asking for the experiences of non-UK members in regards to returning Bachmann items.

Cheers, Glenn.

Hi rob D2,

You can keep emails/communication with a seller/buyer going for as long as needed via PayPal.  But after 20 days of opening communication with a seller PayPal closes the opportunity to make a claim if needed.

Thanks, Glenn.

Hi Kiwi,

As AJM Railways is not an official Bachmann stockist, as pointed out above and as confirmed with my own communication with Bachamnn, so they can't gain access to Bachmann for warranty/service.  I am glad you have had a positive experience with AJM Railways.  The previous Hornby loco I purchased from them was excellent. 

All the Best, Glenn.

Hi 159220,

After reading your advice I went straight into PayPal to escalate to a claim, but before I could complete the process AJM Railways sent a message through informing me that the loco couldn't be replaced and a refund would be made. 

Thanks, Glenn.

Thanks again everybody for your input, Glenn.
  • Like 5

Ah , that’s interesting that they aren’t approved Bachmann . That would be a bit off putting as you wonder where they are sourcing these items - and of course no warranty back up .

Anyway I’m glad you are sorted

• Round of applause 1

Hi Members,

When buying from England again, who in your own consideration and experience is the most reliable as far as hassle free returns/replacement, etc (if needed)? I looked over Hatton's return policy/back up and they sound like good people to deal with.  Any suggestions from personal experience would be appreciated. 

Cheers, Glenn  :drinks:

Edited by Glenn Goldsmith

I don’t know who posts down under, but I’ve used hattons, kernow, derails and track shack in the last couple of years and the service was good at all of them. Probably more personalised at the last two as the first two are big players

Hi Members,

W

When buying from England again, who in your own consideration and experience is the most reliable as far as hassle free returns/replacement, etc (if needed)? I looked over Hatton's return policy/back up and they sound like good people to deal with.  Any suggestions from personal experience would be appreciated. 

Cheers, Glenn  :drinks:

Rails, Hattons and Kernow will always do the right thing with sales to Australia regarding returns/replacements/refunds etc, provided you communicate with them properly.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I think it is fair to be given the opportunity to respond when someone appears to be unnecessarily besmearching a retailer possibly for ulterior motives. My first contact with Glenn was an email from him prior to buying a Hornby loco in 2014 when he contacted me "If the locomotives are bad runners can they be returned for exchange or, if out of stock, refund?" which was fair enough following which his loco was sent to him and nothing heard for another 4 years until in April 2018 he purchased said Bachmann Loco. It was inspected but not tested prior to shipment and no faults seen or it would not have shipped. He then contacted me with 5 emails all a few hours apart prior over the Bank Holiday weekend and in frustration of not having a reply (immediately) he opened a case on Paypal. Once a case is opened on Paypal it is deemed by them to dialogue only via Paypal and I advised him of this in an email of 9th May "Hi Glenn, I acknowledge receipt of your five emails over the bank holiday weekend and have forwarded copies to Paypal where I now will deal with this going forward having spoken to them. Regards. Amanda"

You were advised by Paypal to return the loco and finally did so in your own wording above on 17th May (2 weeks after I and Paypal asked you to ship it back at my expense). Typically the post takes up to 10 days AU to UK and it arrived in the UK at our warehouse on the 26th May as tracking proved. Yet on the 24th May you opened this post saying "So my question is, are there any other non-UK members who have had return experience with AJM Railways in regards to Bachmann products that can shed some further light on the whole return process for me (how long it took to complete, etc)".

Im not sure why you would expect me to do anything while the loco was still in transit? You were then refunded on the 27th May so what is all this about?

Regards

Amanda

PS I am a Hornby, Oxford Rail, Heljan etc stockist, not a Bachmann stockist as approved by them. All Bachmann is supplied to us by a shareholder in our business who is a Bachmann stockist so it is fully warrantied as well (as evidenced here) by your card or paypal protection. The reason I dont get Bachmann stockist is because I dont have a physical shop (a Bachmann requirement) .. little point in having a shop when my main customer base is Australia, NZ, USA and Canada!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, amanda said:

I think it is fair to be given the opportunity to respond when someone appears to be unnecessarily besmearching a retailer possibly for ulterior motives

You resurrect an old topic, have a go at a customer who had a genuine concern - not great. Also Bachmann won't be particularly happy about your supply chain.

It may have been advisable to let sleeping dogs lie.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod locked this topic