The next task was to modify one of the bogies to become articulated. This was very easy. I simply cut off anything that protruded above the top, and cut off the coupling. I then marked and drilled two 2mm holes for the new pivot pins (15mm brass nails obtained from a set of picture-hanging fixtures) and glued them in place with two good blobs of Loctite 'Power Flex' superglue gel. (I love Power Flex, by the way: it's so thick that it supports small features as it sets, which makes it ideal for gluing crews and headlamps on locomotives).

20201230_112404.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

With the articulation taken care of, it was time to turn my attention to the streamlining. Again, I'm not looking for scrupulous scale accuracy here - the nature of the coaches I'm using precludes it - but something that gives at least the impression of the Silver Jubilee. So I decided to use what was already provided on the coach as supports for the streamline skirts.

I cut a pair of shims for each side of each coach - one 1mm thick, the other 0.5mm thick. Sandwiched together and glued to the truss rods, they gave me a backing that a 1mm thick skirt could be affixed to. 

20201229_135006.jpg

20201229_135211.jpg

• Like 3

Finally I made a card template for the sideskirts and used it to make the skirts from 1mm plasticard. Once they'd been neatened up with a rotary sander in my dremel, I glued them in place and painted them. Tamiya XF-77 is a reasonable match with Hornby's choice of grey for these coaches. 

Here is the final result, and I must say I'm very pleased with it. I know it's not accurate, and I know the purists may very well howl in derision, but for a modeller on a budget I think it's not a bad approach to getting something that looks a lot more like the Silver Jubilee than what Hornby offers!

20201230_090658.jpg

20201230_090713.jpg

• Like 7

Well this is irritating. After getting everything together to solder some droppers to some track, I discover that my wire strippers have gone walkabout.

The downside to knowing exactly where you left something is that, when it turns out not to be there, you are utterly bereft of ideas for where it might be...

• Friendly/supportive 1
5 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

Well this is irritating. After getting everything together to solder some droppers to some track, I discover that my wire strippers have gone walkabout.

The downside to knowing exactly where you left something is that, when it turns out not to be there, you are utterly bereft of ideas for where it might be...

Buy another. Then you'll have two.

• 3 weeks later...

Have spent the last few days going through my various reference books looking at photographs to see what prototypical train formations I can recreate with my stock, and noting them down so that I can eventually run accurate trains. One I was very pleased to find is in B.W.L. Brooksbank's "Triumph & Beyond: The ECML 1939 - 1959". It shows K3 No. 1307 with an ambulance train on 27th May 1940. Unfortunately, due to the angle of the picture, it's impossible to see what lamp headcode is in use. I assume Express Passenger 'A'? Or were ambulance trains a special case using something else?

• 2 months later...

I decided in the end that the ambulance train justified getting one of Hornby's extremely smart-looking D16s in LNER lined black. It fulfils the brief admirably, and it was on offer at a much-reduced price; what's not to love?

Apologies for the poor quality of the pic. This is the train on the test track in my conservatory.

LNER D16 8802 Ambulance Train #2.JPG

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finally completed my version of the Silver Jubilee. Obviously it's a pastiche rather than an accurate model, and is lacking the restaurant triplet set, but for all its many outstanding flaws I'm still very pleased with it. 

LNER A4 Quicksilver Silver Jubilee #6.JPG

Edited by Black Marlin
  • Like 4