The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Identifying Ephemera - GWR

chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold

Brother in Law popped in today with a couple of items he picked up at a car boot sale.

post-4738-0-21555400-1527330920_thumb.jpg

The flat Pewter is 130mm x 115mm 

post-4738-0-96871100-1527330936_thumb.jpg

The weight is stamped 'GWR Bristol T.O.' on the front but has a 1950 sixpence pressed into the rear (2 years after Nationalisation) My guess is that the weight was wearing and under weight so the 6D was hammered in to correct it.

post-4738-0-93005000-1527330950_thumb.jpg

The flat 'plate' I'm clueless about and wonder if it's just a homemade object. The wording on it is 'Platform Ticket, GWR (in a totem/sausage) and 1D'   On the reverse is 'Pewter R W S , M & W (the weights company) and George the Vth'

Anyone have any idea or can add something I can pass back to him.

• Like 1

Looking at the pewter plate, I can't offer a suggestion as to it's use but it all I can say is, it would be a very skilled metal worker who would could both cut a metal type (punch)  for the PLATFORM TICKET legend and then repousse the 'sausage' motife for no particular reason other than fancy. So I think the plate was probably produced by or for the GWR.

The lead weight however must have been used for internal or departmental (T.O. -  Traffic Office?) use and not come under the 'Weights and Measures' regulations as such it would require regular testing and would bare proof house marks and a royal cipher (G.R VI etc. as on the pewter plate)

I wonder what's under the 6d?

Good Luck figuring it all out!

Guy

• Like 1