Where to buy layout wire?

TEAMYAKIMA

With the demise of Maplin's where can one buy 'layout wire'?

I'm thinking national chains...................

Screwfix? Wilkinson's? RS components?

I need something asap so sending off to gaugemaster is not really an option.

Thanks

Railwaysenics are pretty quick, but it's a Bank Holiday.......................

Thanks for that suggestion, but sending off is not what I'm looking for, I need it today. I apologise that I did not make myself clear.

I guess what I'm thinking of is somewhere like Asda, Wilkinson etc that do something like 'bell wire' . My local model shop does a 7 strand wire he calls layout wire but that's not what I'm thinking of . I'm thinking more 12 or 16 strand . It could be all one colour. - I need about 30+ metres so I thought one of the chains might do a roll. Or maybe a company doing motor accessories? Halfords?

Have you even bothered looking for yourself?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchRouter?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&action=search&srch=cable

I'll leave it to you to figure out how to search other places.

Apologies again for the sloppyness of my question.

I had searched of course seached myself on line for example RS components and Screwfix and there were many, many options. and so perhaps the issue was more a question what constituted 'layout wire'?

The Halfords option only came to me litterally when I was making the last post . Any way I have now tracked some down - thanks to all who helped.

Paul

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

If the history of viewing Halfords that appears on screen is yours and not mine (car covers) then my advice is to buy at least a size very much bigger than the one you think you need as my extra large cover barely covers my modest motor’s modesty.

It may be of course that the interweb has interposed my own history not yours. It would interesting to know how far these algorithms reach.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that suggestion, but sending off is not what I'm looking for, I need it today. I apologise that I did not make myself clear.

I guess what I'm thinking of is somewhere like Asda, Wilkinson etc that do something like 'bell wire' . My local model shop does a 7 strand wire he calls layout wire but that's not what I'm thinking of . I'm thinking more 12 or 16 strand . It could be all one colour. - I need about 30+ metres so I thought one of the chains might do a roll. Or maybe a company doing motor accessories? Halfords?

Certainly you don't want 'bell wire'. Solid wire is only something good to use if its fixed solid like to a wall. It breaks very easily if moved.

• RMweb Premium

With the demise of Maplin's where can one buy 'layout wire'?

I'm thinking national chains...................

Screwfix? Wilkinson's? RS components?

I need something asap so sending off to gaugemaster is not really an option.

Thanks

RS components

Very fast delivery, plus they do switches, solder tags , small screws, LEDs and even the bits to make your own DCC chips. Don't go a model shop as they buy from RS components.

If you're desperate for some wire and you're near a HomeBargains shop, then they have card mounted, approx 3m, coils of "speaker wire" for (I think) 99 pence.  Its 2 core, multistrand.

Be careful with 'alarm wire'  - much of this, and bell, is not copper wire - it is copper coated aluminum and does not solder well, if at all. Look for 'CCA' on the description or the sheathing, then avoid it.

For bargains:  at the moment CPC-Farnell have 10m lengths of 7/0.2mm from 23p per reel. free delivery over £8 ex VAT.

http://cpc.farnell.com/w/search/prl/results?st=equipment+wire