Dynamis Ultima Problems

Mike140

Hi all.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Ultima. I couldn't remember the addresses of some of my newer locos, so tried reading them on a service track and only get Error 11 or 12 in response (Read/Write error). Suggestions say to clean the track and wheels, which I have done, but both the locos and track are brand new - never run more than a few feet then were stored. What's more is I've flicked through all of the stored address in the hand set and turned the lights on and off, nothing happens. At that point I couldn't remember if I'd actually programmed that loco, but address 3 (usually default) does nothing either.
I can't simply write over the address, as with the Dynamis you must know the current address to do anything.

This is where bigger problems came about.

I've tried another loco on the service track, knowing the address, and tried changing the address on that. No dice. It simply won't do it. Error 11/12.

What's more is as I'm typing in the new address, the menu selection on screen changes from "READ ADDR [number]" to "CHANGE ADDR [number]" with every single button press - numbers and back space.

Here's the worst part. As I was flicking through the stored address I didn't recognize half of them and had loads of consists set up. A big mess. So I went for a factory reset simply to clear all of that as I do remember most of my other loco addresses. The factory reset didn't work. Everything is still on there as if I had simply turned the hand set off and back on again.

I'm starting to think the handset is knackered, due to the button and reset problems.

Any suggestions? Cheers.

Quick update - I've tried another loco on the track which I had running perfectly fine a week ago. Now all of its lights come on and it makes a horrible electrical noise but doesn't short the system, makes the same noise which ever way the decoder is in (just to test it). I put that decoder in the loco I was trying to address earlier, same horrible noise. The loco I was trying to program earlier did this a while ago with its original decoder in but then nothing. Could that decoder have blown - it's completely silent in the loco that was making the noise after changing the decoders over? Strange thing is I have four other locos sitting on that exact same track with lights on and running perfectly fine. What is going on?!