How were loco hauled worked at penzance in the 90s ?

rob D2

Hi,

Thinking towards my next project - and asking the above.

I know in 70s and 80s locos were stabled next to the station , but didn’t appear to be in the privatised era ( thinking original great western and XC )

Presumably they stayed with their train at long rock ? Did they propel out or were they dragged out by an 08 ? If they were dragged did they stay on the back of the train or uncouple and then run under own steam ?

Thanks for any gen,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

It was not so much they were not stabled in the station area in the privatisation era, more there were so few of them there was no need.

The TPO was no longer stabled at Penzance during the day, running empty to and from St Blazey.

Cross Country workings if loco hauled would propel their own train outside to run around.  Sometimes the 08 would be used, sometimes not.  The same with workings to and from Long Rock - they did sometimes use the 08 and sometimes they didn't!

As everything tended to come in and go out again with the same stock there was no real need for any locos to be left on their own in the station area.

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing this layout. One of the few really interesting places left on the modern railway.

Don’t get too excited. I only make planks. It’ll be about 6’ and based on 1996-2000

• RMweb Premium

I remember being there in September 2001 while working in Redruth. An evening visit would have the TPO arrive with a 67 on the front, this ran round the depot side of the footbridge opposite the heliport. The sleeper would be in the station and have a 47 on the front, having been propelled into the platform from Longrock. There was also a 47 on VXC stock sat on the fuelling point, still attached to the stock having propelled it from the station. It seemed that the train loco would propel to the sidings via the fuel point if required before berthing. The 08 was usually around the back of the depot.

Dave