Dungeness B - OO Modern Nuclear Flask Transfer

cal.n

You are not wrong. All the time I worked for BR & Balfour Beatty I never saw the police. However, in 2015 as part of my open weekend my friend supplied his bus for journeys on the Saturday afternoon. Of course they stopped at the crane site and took pictures. See below what happened after they left.

attachicon.gifIts a fair cop.jpg

The "Civil Nuclear Police" said hello! They were fine, but stated they send a team if anyone stops at the gates to check what is going on. We had a good laugh anyway.

So it is an issue.

Cheers.

Would make for an interesting cameo ! iIRc the nuke police are the only civilians authorised to have fully automatic weapons

• RMweb Gold

Not at all. I'd love to see any other ideas.

Thanks Cal,

This is what I was thinking of:

post-32492-0-47685300-1529386169_thumb.png

[Click to enlarge]

• Hoping that you have room to temporarily attach a metre-long cassette to the left hand end of the boards so that all three boards can be scenic...
  • Track set at a dynamic angle and incorporating the turn into the railhead complex.
  • Trying to capture some of the atmosphere of the long straight run across the shingle expanse.
  • Standard Peco Streamline geometry (all large radius points).
  • Cassette fiddle yard ideal for this layout because takes up no space when not in use and there's no need for anything more complex.
  • Could be mounted against a wall or exhibited as a peninsula that viewers can walk around.
  • Paint the distant water tower hazily on the backdrop.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Cal,

This is what I was thinking of:

attachicon.gifDungeness 2.png

[Click to enlarge]

• Hoping that you have room to temporarily attach a metre-long cassette to the left hand end of the boards so that all three boards can be scenic...
  • Track set at a dynamic angle and incorporating the turn into the railhead complex.
  • Trying to capture some of the atmosphere of the long straight run across the shingle expanse.
  • Standard Peco Streamline geometry (all large radius points).
  • Cassette fiddle yard ideal for this layout because takes up no space when not in use and there's no need for anything more complex.
  • Could be mounted against a wall or exhibited as a peninsula that viewers can walk around.
  • Paint the distant water tower hazily on the backdrop.

Beautiful plan, thanks for taking the time to draw it.

I really like how the curve turns into the complex and giving the whole thing an angle. On mine the track was all parallel to the baseboard edge but that looks miles better. It also gives enough room behind the crane for the truck loop while allowing the line to be in the centre of the board later on.

I was planning to use cassettes anyway, but the angle means they take up even less room laterally.

I love the long empty straight with the shingle and will try to maximise the length of this. As you say, it should create the impression of size and emptyness on a layout only 2ft deep

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to operate it for a whole 2 day show (but that goes for any layout, 2-3 hours is enough for me), but I do think that a model of Dungeness needs to capture the acres of nothing that characterises the place. It would make a fascinating and unique model if done faithfully.

If more interesting operation is important and you want to model the nuclear trains, then I'd base a model on Southminster instead - IMO it could withstand more operational and infrastructure alterations.

I wouldn't want to operate it for a whole 2 day show (but that goes for any layout, 2-3 hours is enough for me), but I do think that a model of Dungeness needs to capture the acres of nothing that characterises the place. It would make a fascinating and unique model if done faithfully.

If more interesting operation is important and you want to model the nuclear trains, then I'd base a model on Southminster instead - IMO it could withstand more operational and infrastructure alterations.

I really don’t have room for Southminster with all the room needed for the mainline and runaround. The advantage of Dungeness being that is on the end of a now dedicated branch. All others (with the exception of sizewell?) are next to running lines: Georgemas Jn for Douneray, Valley, Hunterston, Torness, Bridgwater for Hinkley Point, Heysham (very close to station).

Trawsfynnedd (if that's spelt right it'll be a miracle) would be another interesting scenic option, at least on the face of it. Leiston would be much the same.

Anyway, what I was actually trying to say was that Dungeness would be a fantastic and unique place to model, and that to really capture its essence it would need to be bleak and empty and limited to one train operation. The kind of model where the small details really come to the fore...

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

Trawsfynnedd (if that's spelt right it'll be a miracle) would be another interesting scenic option, at least on the face of it. Leiston would be much the same.

Anyway, what I was actually trying to say was that Dungeness would be a fantastic and unique place to model, and that to really capture its essence it would need to be bleak and empty and limited to one train operation. The kind of model where the small details really come to the fore...

One 'n' and a 'y' instead of the final 'e', I think.

The area around the Dungeness terminal is like something out of 'Paris, Texas'; I always half-expect to see Harry Dean Stanton standing outside one of the fishermen's shacks (sorry, they're now 'bijou, artisanal residences').

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Exactly. I think the incredibly atmospheric location trumps the operational limitations (and the experts might yet be able to explain some interesting moves). The simple track plan would allow Cal to focus on those small details if he wants.

Maybe the way to think of it is like a giant diorama... ;-)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

Trawsfynnedd (if that's spelt right it'll be a miracle) would be another interesting scenic option, at least on the face of it.

I'm doing Trawsfynydd (note correct spelling) :) as an extension to my Maentwrog Road layout as it's only a mile up the line.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The fiddle yard board now has a raised flat section for the cassette fiddle yard area. This is also the height that the track will be raised throughout.

post-27529-0-40248600-1534092823_thumb.jpeg

I also had a successful trip to St Andrews Exhibition and picked up a few bits for the layout. To be honest, most of my time was spent at ‘Glenfinnan’ listening to 37s.

post-27529-0-43756400-1534093221_thumb.jpeg

post-27529-0-40248600-1534092823_thumb.jpeg

post-27529-0-43756400-1534093221_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Finally done all 6 legs.

post-27529-0-04459400-1534765224_thumb.jpeg

And some distractions from modelling, most of yesterday was taken up with a trip to a ‘Diesel operating weekend’ at the Caledonian Railway, Brechin.

post-27529-0-92504700-1534765609_thumb.jpeg

I even got to drive a class 02 :)

post-27529-0-79475500-1534765744_thumb.jpeg

Edited by cal.n
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 24/06/2019 at 16:54, GWRPhil said:

Any progress on the layout recently

Nothing major happening at the moment I'm afraid. I am at uni and the layout is now 300 miles away. Although it is very much in my mind and is going to be worked on hopefully soon. 

I have built stack-able transit frames for all 3 boards. I have been inspired by stolen the design of the transit frames used on Deadman's Lane which are very useful when moving the layout and taking to shows etc.

Hopefully more progress soon...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1