Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

15 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder if after testing their introduction will be quite quick?

I do hope so. I am, admittedly, an infrequent traveller, but I had cause to go into Norwich from Sheringham yesterday.

Outward - 3 car 170. Not too often seen on this line, but despite quite a heavy summertime loading, loads of room. The normal is a 2 car 156.

Return - single car 153. Loaded to capacity on leaving Norwich with probably a dozen standing. Good number of bikes being conveyed too, which obviously didn't help. As the journey progressed, it seemed that for every person that got off, 3 or 4 would get on. It thinned a bit at North Walsham but frankly it was an unpleasant journey and one that I'm in no hurry to repeat.

The new trains obviously have a greater capacity and will mean an end to the 153s, so bring it on.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, russ p said:

I didn't think any of them had reached the 2500 fault free miles yet

Me neither but some of the chat is from GA staff and to back this up, as from Monday 2P12, 08:36, Norwich - Great Yarmouth (and other services) will not be stopping at Brundall Gardens because selective door opening does not work on the new units <cough> - I've just checked GA and sure enough, Norwich - Brundall Gardens is not available on the 08:36 on Monday.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the beginning of the end then :(

Still a right mess though,  with stations not being served because selective door release not working etc 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

Tonight's test run of 745003 as 5Q72 Norwich Crpt-Colchester and return.

Apologies for the image,awkwardly  half hanging out the window!

Accidentally route it via the loops by the box :)

745003 has gone to Liv Street on 5Q71 with 37608 in hot pursuit to Ipswich.

I'll post some photos later when (if ?) it returns.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Looks like the beginning of the end then :(

Still a right mess though,  with stations not being served because selective door release not working etc 

The general consensus is the 37s will be back pretty quickly but .. indeed, the beginning of the end - very sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Brundall Train timetable notification:

Due to the introduction of the new trains this coming Monday (22nd), there are temporary timetable alterations for trains stopping at Brundall Gardens, Monday to Friday. The trains NOT STOPPING are:-

Gardens to Norwich:- 09.40, 11.40, 13.40, 1840
Gardens to Great Yarmouth:- 08.43, 10.43, 12.43, 17.43.
Norwich to Gardens:- 08.36, 10.36, 12.36, 17.36.

A revised timetable should be going up at the Gardens this weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Accidentally route it via the loops by the box :)

745003 has gone to Liv Street on 5Q71 with 37608 in hot pursuit to Ipswich.

I'll post some photos later when (if ?) it returns.

Just went north thru Needham...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, friscopete said:

Saw a set yesterday twixt Brundall Gardens and the  Thorpe park and ride.Not over impressed.Are they grey or white as this one looked dirty despite being spotless.

Silvery grey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

19 July 2019

Great Moulton

The first daylight run up/down the GEML

754003 on 5Q71, 09:15, Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D - London Liverpool Street (11:34)

DAS824904.jpg.46540c45c0b08bd6529e5cab6bd85b73.jpg

37608, Andromeda, on 0Z71, 09:44, Norwich T.C. - Colchester Sudbury Dock (10:50) - light engine (thunderbird for Norwich - Liv. St. - Norwich test run)

DAS824921.jpg.a6b91cececb4e64b2e15ee3a6a9584f8.jpg

754003 on 5Q72, 14:46, London Liverpool Street - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (17:32)

DAS825113.jpg.2d6b8751107d6ec0d0005888aeda3a85.jpg

37608, Andromeda, on 0Z72, 14:14, Colchester Goods Loop - Norwich T.C. (15:20)

DAS825128.jpg.57995b252244c3c6b59c4b38a706e4c7.jpg

• Like 13

On 19/07/2019 at 12:24, beast66606 said:

Rumours abound locally that they will be in service from Monday - replacing the 37 hauled short set.

Did this transpire Skip? I'm out of touch with Anglia-Gen currently, though the lack of anything here from the local contingent probably answers my own question...

C6T. 

8 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Did this transpire Skip? I'm out of touch with Anglia-Gen currently, though the lack of anything here from the local contingent probably answers my own question...

C6T. 

Nope! 

I believe several NRW - GYM services were buses today.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, admiles said:

Nope! 

I believe several NRW - GYM services were buses today.

Uh-huh, now before I speculate on how a rumour might start, can buses call at Brundall Gardens?

Having said that, it's been the case in the past that above average temperatures will cause the swing bridges expansion problems necessitating them being left open for river traffic hence the rail replacement?

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

No - yesterday was all "as is"

Today was a fuster cluck due to the heat - the 37s failed yesterday, units failed and so the service was abysmal to say the least, but no new units in service.

Next week is the current latest rumour.

745005 was delivered today - photo tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Uh-huh, now before I speculate on how a rumour might start, can buses call at Brundall Gardens?

Having said that, it's been the case in the past that above average temperatures will cause the swing bridges expansion problems necessitating them being left open for river traffic hence the rail replacement?

C6T. 

Normally the other way round, I think - they leave them across the river and boats that can't fit under have to wait for cooler weather.

As happened today in the heat.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Next week is the current latest rumour.

Thursday this week is now quoted as a possible - and other stations are affected by the SDO failure.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've heard the Thursday rumours,  but none of them have done 2500 fault free miles yet. Originally it was 4500 but somehow that figure got reduced. 

Seems a bit stupid putting one out tomorrow as if it fails in this heat the publicity it will generate with people stuck on a baking train will not be good

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Though if it doesn't fail it'll be air conditioned luxury compared to the 153/156 that would otherwise be running. Whilst if it does then you can't open a window.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take myself. I'd get out and test it in the heat though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ideal weather for testing,  but not with passengers. 

Not so certain about luxury,  apparently the seats although more padding than some are not supposed to be very comfortable 

• Informative/Useful 1