Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Titan said:

Started to read up about the FLIRTS, they can be supplied with a maximum speed of 125mph. Wonder how they would compare to class 800's on such services...

Me too.

Do they do 125 on diesel?

On 15/08/2019 at 11:53, Titan said:

Started to read up about the FLIRTS, they can be supplied with a maximum speed of 125mph. Wonder how they would compare to class 800's on such services...

Would love to see a 125mph version for Cross Country!

• Agree 1

Yes, the three and four car units have the motor bogies under the cab only.  The twelve car units will have at least six. As the twelve car units are basically two six car units with one cab coupled back to back,  I would expect the power bogies to be under the cab, either side of the middle and at least one other location which I would expect to be one or more of the other non-articulated bogies.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just travelled on my first bi-mode Flirt from Norwich to Wymondham (1K79 1340 Norwich to Cambridge). Good overall experience,  seats are comfy and a good shape and height for taller people. Low floor is interesting, with raised seating above bogies. Ride was a bit firm, not bouncy like 321's nor floaty like 360's. Displays are large and clear. .

Short Centre power car is novel. Seats not aligned to Windows and due to low floor and non-symmetrical coach design view out is limited or non-existent on quite a few seats, at least in Driving vehicle I was in. Not scotrail compliant!

Overall pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Seem to be being used Norwich to Cambridge all day today (Saturday). On an Anglian Rover ticket, so may go to Ely or Cambridge later if the service isn't full of Canary and Magpie fans (Norwich at home to Newcastle today).

37's still top and tailing to Lowestoft, so new and old at Norwich at the moment.

IMG_20190817_1641369.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
duplication
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, in the photo above the 37 is leaving the station and the rear marker lights were red but for reasons I can't explain they appear white in the photo. I double checked at the time as I thought the driver had set the lights incorrectly.

And lots of Rail enthusiasts from around the country riding the 37's.

Edited by ruggedpeak
update

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

As an aside, in the photo above the 37 is leaving the station and the rear marker lights were red but for reasons I can't explain they appear white in the photo. I double checked at the time as I thought the driver had set the lights incorrectly.

And lots of Rail enthusiasts from around the country riding the 37's.

Simple answer :

It's the LED lights in them, modern cameras don't always "read" the colour correctly and it appears washed out - or white.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Are the 37s still about down this neck of the woods? Should be in Norwich one day this coming week so will try get a ride out on them

Cheers

James

They have only been operating services over the past few weeks on an as and when required basis. This has been due to a lack of units, due to only a handful of new units been in service. I know that they have been seen in service this month so hopefully you will see them. It has been 37407 and 37419 on the short set recently, although one or both could have been swopped as their are other 37s at Norwich. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, will still have a look around at Norwich wichever day we go visit, might get lucky but i thought itd be a longshot now the fkirts are around, at least i have the missus on board for either north norfolk or mid norfolk trip.

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Thanks chaps, will still have a look around at Norwich wichever day we go visit, might get lucky but i thought itd be a longshot now the fkirts are around, at least i have the missus on board for either north norfolk or mid norfolk trip.

Cheers

James

You are more than welcome. 

37402 and 37424 have been working off of Norwich and at Norwich respectively recently, so you may see them near the station even if you don't manage to see the short set. Hope you get to see them. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Someone just posted this video to the GER Society eGroup, showing the units on store at the Mid Norfolk railway.

Watching the seemingly endless line of coaches go past, punctuated by coloured strips, is pretty mesmerising!

Kind of reminds me of this!

But what do all the colour strips mean? It's back to the tradition of the Liverpool Street Jazz Trains! Yellow is obviously first class. And I thought I saw a disabled accessible logo within one of the blue strips. So what is green?

J

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Always liked the video to star guitar...

Is there no 1st class on the Stanstead Express or was the yellow line just less obvious?

I understand no 1st Class on the Stansted (sic) Express. I vaguely remember the specification included more luggage space, too, but my memory might be making that bit up.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

22 August 2019

Diss
755413 on 5Q51, 08:07, Norwich T.C. - Ipswich (08:52)

DAS828824.jpg.21048baa0f8810ba018ff55769fd11b8.jpg

755413 on 5Q52, 08:58, Ipswich - Norwich (09:55)

DAS828905.jpg.5d556e1251a9b75e7379ed208712268b.jpg

Eccles Road

755418 on 1K68, 11:09, Cambridge - Norwich (12:37)

DAS828947.jpg.bbfaf98a9b56d651081fe13991fdee7c.jpg

755410 on 1K80, 17:10, Cambridge - Norwich (18:29)

DAS829001.jpg.109340f6cdfeea0ad8abe7d316b1d8a4.jpg

755410 on 1K91, 18:40, Norwich - Cambridge (19:58)

DAS829046.jpg.7e1c8d550c427c65f6aec8cfe7a7e976.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2019 at 01:27, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

You are more than welcome. 

37402 and 37424 have been working off of Norwich and at Norwich respectively recently, so you may see them near the station even if you don't manage to see the short set. Hope you get to see them. Good luck. 

They were definitely working Saturday 17th on the short set as I and lots of other enthusiasts were riding them, many of them having been in Wales riding them too if I overheard the conversations correctly! Don't know about during the week.

IMG_20190817_1539581.jpg

IMG_20190817_154623.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

They were definitely working Saturday 17th on the short set as I and lots of other enthusiasts were riding them, many of them having been in Wales riding them too if I overheard the conversations correctly! Don't know about during the week.

IMG_20190817_1539581.jpg

I'm hardly the first to say it, but doesn't large logo blue look FANTASTIC on a 37? What a great shot.

• Like 2