Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

I have to say that the four car versions are very quick off the mark, so fast that they have a 40mph restriction if they are stopped in the down platform at Littleport, so that they don’t beat the bypass ahbc! That’s quicker than any of the EMU’s we have down our way. (That’s even quicker than Russ in a pair of 37’s and two test cars...)

How many engines do they have in that little ‘pup’ unit in the middle? Are they Cummins diesels or some cheapo units?

Andy g

4x 16 litre Deutz V8 in the 4 car according to Wikipedia. And 2x in the 3 car units. So, not Cummins engines, but could be worse!

• RMweb Premium

No wonder they are quick, although looking at the electric power available they must be even quicker when they are drawing from the overhead (which they aren't allowed to do over here yet).

The cooling capacity for those beasts must be huge, unless they are air cooled.....

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Gold

I think the 3 cars have 2 and the four cars have 4, not sure what they are they make an odd noise.

There was one in the dock the other week not sure what type but it sounded like a fridge!

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, russ p said:

They have obviously got a bit brave as previously when the three car ones went out they failed.

Can't imagine these being very fast power to weight ratio must be less than a 170

This one failed as it got back to Norwich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

31 October 2019

Gissing

755336 on 5Q51, 08:07, Norwich T.C. - Harwich International (09:22) - unit under test, first GEML solo run for a 755/3

DAS840176.jpg.a1d0e4fdc7ceaf0c34ddb8dceda74258.jpg

DAS840183.jpg.ca67176e3cb6fb1b27ee8a4e57024905.jpg

More successful run this time, it made it to Harwich and back without issue.

Eccles Road - where we were commended in the best kept station awards for the second year running - pretty good for our little place against some stiff opposition, we're chuffed to bits (see what I did there)

755415 on 5Q70, 10:54, Cambridge - Norwich T.C. (12:10) - test run

DAS840283.jpg.42854364880b71f3645c11c395273f44.jpg

DAS840288.jpg.383908f97b5ff44ec31f202e2ce658af.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I notice on the image of 755326 that there appears to be a tail lamp bracket on one end, but not on any others.  Might here be a detachable tail lamp bracket on these units ? 

I suspect you're correct, probably as a fall back in case the main lights fail, at least it can still move.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2019 at 07:10, Pete 75C said:

Testing appears to have begun on the Cromer/Sheringham branch.

Whilst at Norwich yesterday morning, there were a few cancellations due to "train faults". One Great Yarmouth and one Cambridge service. Not 100% sure it was the bi-modes, but I couldn't help assuming.

755413 worked the first passenger service  to Sheringham today - 06/11/2019

755336 testing on the line.

I believe the SDO issues have been resolved with a software update.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

25 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

755413 worked the first passenger service  to Sheringham today - 06/11/2019

755336 testing on the line.

I believe the SDO issues have been resolved with a software update.

Yes, I believe it was the 07:15 from Norwich and the 08:22 back.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Wonder if they bother running electric Ipswich Station to East Suffolk Junc.!? :P

C6T. 

Apparently they are. There is a new stop board on platform 1 at ipswich to stop the stadlers at a certain point so they dont come off the wires and the pan up/pan down is automatically done by gps.  It was a debate we were having in the box a few days ago. Stupidly I should've just asked the driver on the gsmr if it does run on the juice for the .75 of a mile.

Thanks

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

For info :

755s (412) commenced public service on the Felixstowe line this week (as mentioned above). It's settled down after failing at Brandon on it's first day in service

755402 became the first unit to traverse the Chippenham Jct - Cambridge section of line yesterday and 755s should enter service on that line on Monday but will not call at Kennett on the outbound (to Cambridge) service nor Elmswell on the return due to on going SDO issues. Minibuses have been arranged to ferry passengers between Bury St Edmunds and these station.

Edited by beast66606
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had it confirmed by a GA guy that diesel only for the Ipswich / Felixstowe line (at least for now) and OHLE to Stowmarket with the infamous "Bury St Edmonds" sign warning to switch to diesel for beyond on the branch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well for whatever reason the 07:45 Stow-Ipswich was a 153, could be the oft given excuse that it's diagrammed to do branch shuttles, despite being the busiest Bury-Ipswich train of the day. 

See if I'm electric hauled after work...

C6T. 

The 745s are beginning to be needed quite urgently.

I've tried to get the 9.30 Liverpool Street to Norwich several Thursdays during the last month - each time it's been cancelled "due to the train being late from the depot". Equally, the 15.30 from Norwich to LST has been consistently formed of 2 x 321s (un-refurbished ones at that) every time I've tried to catch it recently. (I wonder if these services are the same diagram?).

The same services being routinely cancelled is a really serious problem - they could at least spread the pain.

Edited by justin1985
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, justin1985 said:

The 745s are beginning to be needed quite urgently.

I've tried to get the 9.30 Liverpool Street to Norwich several Thursdays during the last month - each time it's been cancelled "due to the train being late from the depot". Equally, the 15.30 from Norwich to LST has been consistently formed of 2 x 321s (un-refurbished ones at that) every time I've tried to catch it recently. (I wonder if these services are the same diagram?).

The same services being routinely cancelled is a really serious problem - they could at least spread the pain.

I see that excuse trotted out with alarming regularity. I wonder if the underlying cause is lack of staff, of all types, because they're all tied up in type familiarisation on the new stock.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Well for whatever reason the 07:45 Stow-Ipswich was a 153, could be the oft given excuse that it's diagrammed to do branch shuttles, despite being the busiest Bury-Ipswich train of the day. 

See if I'm electric hauled after work...

C6T. 

Unit failure - tomorrow sees the launch of the 755s on that route, 06:54 off Ipswich is booked a 755.

To be fair to GA, they are overflowing with trains at the moment because new and old are side by side, capacity is stretched and the slightest hiccup causes major problems.

170203 has gone today.

Edited by beast66606
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Unit failure - tomorrow sees the launch of the 755s on that route, 06:54 off Ipswich is booked a 755.

To be fair to GA, they are overflowing with trains at the moment because new and old are side by side, capacity is stretched and the slightest hiccup causes major problems.

170203 has gone today.

Don't get me wrong Skip, I'm more aware than most of the day to day issues AGA have so I'm not a regular in the EADT letters page or owt. My season ticket is also a piddling amount compared to some and standing betwixt Stow and Needham isn't the greatest hardship in the world either. That said, I can't help thinking this hasn't been handled fantastically well by AGA.

Still, you only remember the late & caped trains dontcha!? C6T. 

My latest expeience of travelling with Greater Anglia wasn't particularly good. Last Monday I was trying to get from Peterborough to Stowmarket and was due to catch the 15:50 to Ipswich however it was cancelled so I had to go via Cambridge. I caught the 16:47 Ipswich service from there which was formed of a 2 coach Class 170 and it was absolutely packed, so much so that some people couldn't even get on and were left behind on the platform. The train manager announced that this was an all too regular occurance and was encouraging people to write and complain to customer services!

40 minutes ago, Keith J said:

My latest expeience of travelling with Greater Anglia wasn't particularly good. Last Monday I was trying to get from Peterborough to Stowmarket and was due to catch the 15:50 to Ipswich however it was cancelled so I had to go via Cambridge. I caught the 16:47 Ipswich service from there which was formed of a 2 coach Class 170 and it was absolutely packed, so much so that some people couldn't even get on and were left behind on the platform. The train manager announced that this was an all too regular occurance and was encouraging people to write and complain to customer services!

In fairness to AGA that service would probably usually been a 3 car class 170 but as AGA only have a couple of 170s left it was probably the best of what was available (2 car 170, 2 car 156 or single car 153!).

The transition to the new fleet was always going to be tricky. More so when the 170s are leaving before enough 755s are ready to take over. I believe AGA didn't have a choice as to when the 170s left!

• Agree 1