Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Ipswich to Peterborough service cancelled today due to a "train fault" according to the GA website.  As the 153s were supposed to have been taken out of service at the weekend, I would think it is more likely due to a lack of stock to run the service!

The 153s are lined up at Norwich awaiting their Landore trips

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Ipswich to Peterborough service cancelled today due to a "train fault" according to the GA website.  As the 153s were supposed to have been taken out of service at the weekend, I would think it is more likely due to a lack of stock to run the service!

Ipswich / Peterborough issues caused by 156 fault(s)

Ipswich - Cambridge is in trouble as a Flirt is having issues at Thurston, currently approx 50 late and stationary.

Not a good day for GA but the staff are doing their best under difficult circumstances, let's not forget that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

An unfortunate event happened this morning, my post of 08:12 starts the ball rolling.

It turns out that 755419 was running on electric to Stowmarket and then headed for Bury St Edmunds on diesel, unfortunately the pantograph was still up and struck Haughley Road bridge. After a long time trying to resolve the matter, 419 was eventually able to move under it's own power back to Ipswich. 37608 which had been despatched to assist and had sat in Stowmarket loop for a few hours, followed and then dragged 419 back to Crown Point.

• Informative/Useful 5

I'm a bit surprised that it was able to move off on diesel with the pan up.

Not a configuration you'd expect to be frequently required.

It's also nearly a mile (1.5km) from the junction to the first overbridge, which ought to be enough for the overheight to bring the pan down at sensible speeds...

Edited by Zomboid
  • Agree 1

Genuine question, when the GEML was electrified north of Colchester I assume it was done on a shoestring (as many electrification schemes were at the time) and probably specified on the basic timetable running at that time.  Will having bi-modes plugging in when previously the trains were diesel create problems and will the supply have to be beefed up?  Or has the supply already been improved to help reliability?

It was done on a shoestring, it hasn't been beefed up and yes it will put a strain on the network north of colchester. We've had to report freightliner quite a few times recently for running pairs of 90s and quads of 86 with all their pans up at once. Draws so much current we get drivers losing their line Lights. Though, if they decide to remove all the 755 pantographs on overline bridges then it wont be much of an issue.....

• Funny 3

It's really Stowmarket northward where it becomes a bit of damp string, but multiple 90s on the same train wasn't part of the spec for any of it (even the WCML isn't really up to that).

A 755 is a small proportion of the kind of current draw that the locos have, loads of them will have an impact, but it's unlikely that more than one or two will be on electric power between Ipswich and Stowmarket at any one time. Ely to Cambridge has recently had the power supply system upgraded, and pootling around near Norwich station is going to be a whole load of nothing much, electrically speaking.

Edited by Zomboid

7 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Ipswich / Peterborough issues caused by 156 fault(s)

Ipswich - Cambridge is in trouble as a Flirt is having issues at Thurston, currently approx 50 late and stationary.

Not a good day for GA but the staff are doing their best under difficult circumstances, let's not forget that.

As I've mentioned before they're going to have a heck of a problem shortly cos there won't be any 156s either. 

Front line staff working under difficult circumstances not of their making? Twas ever thus:(

I can't help wondering if it's another 'softwear' glitch, as in use the computer on board to tell the train what to do at any given point. 

Our destination screens often lose track of where they are so maybe the train thought it wasn't going off the wires yet?

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Siggie in the east said:

It was done on a shoestring, it hasn't been beefed up and yes it will put a strain on the network north of colchester. We've had to report freightliner quite a few times recently for running pairs of 90s and quads of 86 with all their pans up at once. Draws so much current we get drivers losing their line Lights. Though, if they decide to remove all the 755 pantographs on overline bridges then it wont be much of an issue.....

I believe 90s can run in pairs providing both are on three motors 

There has been a few occasions where there has been a 90 on either end of an intercity due to dvt problems and for whatever reason the rear one not isolated correctly and ends up powering... Norwich in 60 anyone! 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, great central said:

As I've mentioned before they're going to have a heck of a problem shortly cos there won't be any 156s either.

Due to start leaving this week.

The first 3 (of 5) 153s left this morning, the other 2 go tomorrow so no more Scuds to bail them out.

Edited by beast66606
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, Siggie in the east said:

31 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

It's really Stowmarket northward where it becomes a bit of damp string, but multiple 90s on the same train wasn't part of the spec for any of it (even the WCML isn't really up to that).

A 755 is a small proportion of the kind of current draw that the locos have, loads of them will have an impact, but it's unlikely that more than one or two will be on electric power between Ipswich and Stowmarket at any one time. Ely to Cambridge has recently had the power supply system upgraded, and pootling around near Norwich station is going to be a whole load of nothing much, electrically speaking.

I must admit I had in mind north of Ipswich, the thought was if you had say two Inter-City 745s and a 755 in the same electrical section whether it might cause an issue.  The amount of horsepower these new units have, plus the hotel power and the ability to recharge all of Norfolk and Suffolk's phones and laptops whilst on board, must add up to quite a draw.  When you consider when the line north of Stowmarket was electrified consideration was given to singling the line to provide capacity for a single hourly service and save money, I expect the power supply is probably getting close to the limit.  Less Norwich in 90, more Norwich in candlelight.

As an aside, I wonder if any comprehensive study is being carried out on the power needs of the railway with new electric trains being specified with air conditioning, power sockets and wifi?  Whilst modern motors are probably a lot more efficient than the old English Electric jobs trains like the Class 312s had on the GE, it must be incrementally adding to the power load on the network.

48 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Due to start leaving this week.

The first 3 (of 5) 153s left this morning, the other 2 go tomorrow so no more Scuds to bail them out.

Can anyone tell me the current allocation of non-Flirt units available for service?

If the 153s have gone (or will have by tomorrow), how many 156s are available for service on rural routes? Am I right in thinking that only one 170 remains? That must be due for relocation soon, I would imagine?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beast66606 said:

On a more positive note - 755402 became the first Flirt in passenger service on the East Suffolk line this morning.

I saw one at Melton crossing today, would that be it?

Edited by ess1uk
Spellin
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Can anyone tell me the current allocation of non-Flirt units available for service?

If the 153s have gone (or will have by tomorrow), how many 156s are available for service on rural routes? Am I right in thinking that only one 170 remains? That must be due for relocation soon, I would imagine?

Sorry I can't answer the full query but I know that 170271 is the only 170 GA now have and last week they didn't have that which meant that they had none available. This was due to 271 been at Ilford for tyre turning on the wheel lathe. I believe it has been back in use covering some diagrams since it's visit to the lathe last week. Although don't expect this one to be with GA for much longer because I am informed that TFW want all of the 170s with them by the end of December. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Theres 2 x 156 away at Etches Park at the moment, 7 still around. Ipswich - P/boro is not Flirted yet but according to one of the GA lads they start going to EMR this week.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Theres 2 x 156 away at Etches Park at the moment, 7 still around. Ipswich - P/boro is not Flirted yet but according to one of the GA lads they start going to EMR this week.

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Is that East Midlands or European Metal Recycling?

Come on Mark.  That Joke has matured like a bit of blue cheese !!

• RMweb Gold

Went on my first new unit last night,  seats too upright and uncomfortable. 

Saloon lighting so bright it was virtually impossible to see anything outside the train in darkness 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Went on my first new unit last night,  seats too upright and uncomfortable. 

Saloon lighting so bright it was virtually impossible to see anything outside the train in darkness 

Intriguing. I thought they were a *huge* improvement over the units they're replacing. And vastly better than the supposedly "intercity" KX-Cambridge-King's Lynn Electrostar from which I had transferred.

Though I agree with you about the unpleasant brightness: that applies to every modern transport vehicle, all designed so people with poorer eyesight can see. Those of us who are light-sensitive are ignored (or, presumably, we should all be wearing sunglasses). There's no right answer to that one. And anyway, I'm all nostalgic for those dim yellow bulbs of the 50s and 60s, their warm glow signalling from afar that your warm, dry transport was waiting for you on a winter's evening...

Paul 

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1