Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

Stadler don't seem to be doing too well here at the moment, given what is now going on in Sheffield......

"We are unfortunately unable to run any Tram/Train services until further notice.This follows advice by the manufacturer,Stadler,that we need to temporarily withdraw the fleet. A further update will be provided as soon as we have been updated by Stadler"

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Stadler don't seem to be doing too well here at the moment, given what is now going on in Sheffield......

"We are unfortunately unable to run any Tram/Train services until further notice.This follows advice by the manufacturer,Stadler,that we need to temporarily withdraw the fleet. A further update will be provided as soon as we have been updated by Stadler"

See also Supertram's Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/SCSupertram for the same info.

Could it be connected to whatever the problems are in East Anglia?

I don't know what interaction (track circuits/other detection) there is between the tram-trains and the road crossings/road signals on the Meadowhall-Cathedral section, but the original trams are still running that section.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

See also Supertram's Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/SCSupertram for the same info.

Could it be connected to whatever the problems are in East Anglia?

I don't know what interaction (track circuits/other detection) there is between the tram-trains and the road crossings/road signals on the Meadowhall-Cathedral section, but the original trams are still running that section.

Might it not also relate to the section of track between the SCSupertram/Network Rail boundary at Tinsley and the terminus at Rotherham-Parkgate?

Just a thought that if there is a suspicion about the track circuit detection of these type of vehicles on Network Rail metals an updated risk assessment may have been made until the engineering facts are established.  Especially as on that shortish section of track, as you're aware, there is by current day measures a reasonable amount of other passenger and some freight traffic.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 4630 said:

Might it not also relate to the section of track between the SCSupertram/Network Rail boundary at Tinsley and the terminus at Rotherham-Parkgate?

Just a thought that if there is a suspicion about the track circuit detection of these type of vehicles on Network Rail metals an updated risk assessment may have been made until the engineering facts are established.  Especially as on that shortish section of track, as you're aware, there is by current day measures a reasonable amount of other passenger and some freight traffic.

You may well be right. I was considering level crossings as the main factor, of which there are none on the NR section, but plenty of road crossings on the Supertram section.

It could be totally unrelated too. The tram-trains have been having power-related problems in very cold weather off and on as well, and I believe they've been tinkering with the setup of the overheads on the NR section.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

...The tram-trains have been having power-related problems in very cold weather off and on as well, and I believe they've been tinkering with the setup of the overheads on the NR section.

Thanks.  I wasn’t aware of that issue.

And after that temporary diversion to cover possibly related issues on the UK’s only tram-train operation, it’s back to the real purpose of this topic in GA land. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see on the local news that GA are hoping to be back to a full service bar a few lines on Monday.  I feel it’s really irresponsible to let units go off lease or other TOC’s before they’ve ironed the bugs out.  The people on the Ipswich-Peterborough route must be up in arms as the route has been suspended or limited service for the past two weeks and it’s planned to continue until god knows when!

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I see on the local news that GA are hoping to be back to a full service bar a few lines on Monday.  I feel it’s really irresponsible to let units go off lease or other TOC’s before they’ve ironed the bugs out.  The people on the Ipswich-Peterborough route must be up in arms as the route has been suspended or limited service for the past two weeks and it’s planned to continue until god knows when!

GA had  NO choice in the units going to TfW - they were effectively ordered to hand them over, this "fake news" story aboutGA choosing to  hand units over before full acceptance of the new trains has been repeated many times on local Facebook groups and is simply not true, they had no choice in the matter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, hope you are all well?

I too can confirm that GA didn't have a choice but to hand the 153s & 170s over to TFW. They kept them for as long as they possibly could. Remember that GA also had to clean the units and debrand them etc before they were handed over, so they have had to allow time for these units to be out of service in the mean time of them still been part of the GA fleet. I know that the service has been pretty poor on services that serve Peterborough recently but I can assure everyone that GA are doing their best in a very difficult situation. I know that this doesn't help passengers but hopefully they will understand that GA has done it's best in keeping servicing running where possible. Something else that doesn't help is that at least some of the 170s were out of service whilst still with GA to visit the wheel lathe due to autumnal weather conditions. But again if a unit/s needs to visit the wheel lathe this has to be done in order to make services as safe as possible for both staff and passengers. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

GA had  NO choice in the units going to TfW - they were effectively ordered to hand them over, this "fake news" story aboutGA choosing to  hand units over before full acceptance of the new trains has been repeated many times on local Facebook groups and is simply not true, they had no choice in the matter.

I didn’t say GA had a choice, I just said it was irresponsible to hand them over under the orders of the DfT or other body.  I just hope that GA, Stadler and NR can resolve this problem before it really becomes a stick the media can really poke the railway with.

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I didn’t say GA had a choice, I just said it was irresponsible to hand them over under the orders of the DfT or other body. ...

You’re quite right. GA should have just stolen the units and hidden them somewhere.

Er... though perhaps they still wouldn’t have been able to run a train service. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

12 hours ago, jools1959 said:

On the other hand, why should TfW be deprived of units they have been allocated, and require to improve their services, due to an issue totally beyond their control ?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Is that just an extension of the Norwich-Cambridge service as was Dave, or new extra trains?

Extension of the service although it will mean an extra unit will be required.

• Informative/Useful 4

52 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Yes they are - Ely/Stansted is on OHLE

For some reason I thought they weren't yet cleared for the ohl between Ely and Cambridge. 

Useful to know they've started the Stanstead services, hopefully it's a path that stays. I can remember it being spoken about a while ago, I do like the idea of being able to walk up the road to the station and get to Stanstead easily, no worrying about driving or parking costs. I think the most difficult bit will be persuading the wife she can walk the 30min to the station next time we plan a holiday...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Eccles Road

15 December 2019

755422 on 2K67, 09:03, Norwich - Stansted Airport (11:04) - first Norwich - Stansted A/P working

and
755412 on 2K62, 08:18, Stansted Airport - Norwich (10:12) - first Stansted A/P - Norwich working

DAS844918.jpg.47d1eee6e19c262e217a6c71b64c107d.jpgDAS844932.jpg.2d30099d44b1933f3e976555dfffc3ce.jpg

• Like 11