Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

3 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

755337 as 5Q20 colch-clacton test train.

Also we have had 745006 running up and down as 5Q92.

Thanks

20200108_141505.jpg

Great shot that. Thanks for posting these up. It's obviously a view most of us don't get to see.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, admiles said:

Great shot that. Thanks for posting these up. It's obviously a view most of us don't get to see.

Heh! I thought I'd missed some sort of major GEML remodelling and the mainline now went "round the back" at Colchester until I read Siggie's captions properly...that is a lovely laid avoider though.

C6T.

Kinda makes you dream of a layout similar to Tonbridge Yard don't it?! That knitting will be work mind...

Edited by Classsix T
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Heh! I thought I'd missed some sort of major GEML remodelling and the mainline now went "round the back" at Colchester until I read Siggie's captions properly...that is a lovely laid avoider though.

C6T.

Kinda makes you dream of a layout similar to Tonbridge Yard don't it?! That knitting will be work mind...

It's a lovely piece of track, but funnily enough it's the Up Goods with the Down Goods on the right of the 755. Both can be used for passenger trains but only with authority from Control, the SSM on duty or in an exceptional circumstance, with the road set throughout from Colchester North Jn (countryside) to Goods Jn (London side).

Thanks

Edited by Siggie in the east
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am currently sat in a flirt, the 1830 Cam-Norwich.

This is my fourth journey on one of these and whilst generally good i have to say the lighting is awful. It's unbearably bright. I shut my eyes to get respite but can still feel the light burning through my closed eyelids. Were the designers born on the sun????

I know it's been said before but it hurts!

Uncomfortable of Aylsham.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The lighting at Cambridge isn't exactly "subdued" these days though is it Col?

That said I get your drift. I'd personally like the heating to be turned on on my Flirtations, you'd think coming from Switzerland the sodding heaters would work, at least.

C6T. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, Classsix T said:

The lighting at Cambridge isn't exactly "subdued" these days though is it Col?

That said I get your drift. I'd personally like the heating to be turned on on my Flirtations, you'd think coming from Switzerland the sodding heaters would work, at least.

C6T. 

I'd imagine they do work very well. All depends what they've been set too. I find lots of A/C trains/buildings to be too cold for me.

Interesting point actually, having mid bodyside doors, anything other than a similar external temperature means that the air-con is going to have to work pretty hard to keep the on board temperature constant. Finding a seat not subject to an icy blast or external summer heat at station stops is going to be difficult.

170s negated this by having a door close button.

There also appears to be confusion with some pax because of the pause whilst the step extends after pushing the door open button on the Stadlers, we're so used to the door opening instantly. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 17:52, Classsix T said:

public information display proclaim it would be 5 (count 'em!) carriages in length.

Digital Doris won't be fooled however, she stated four coaches this morning at SMK.

C6T. 

• Funny 2

18 hours ago, 62613 said:

Some fearsome acceleration there!

The TTI on my Monday morning commute lost his balance as we were setting off from Stow, probably becoming accustomed to the "softer" acceleration on diesel from CBG to SMK.

I'll give them their due, with dry rail, I've not been as impressed by acceleration from a train since my first journeys on Cl.333 and Cl.360. (The second divert kicking in on 40145 was pretty awesome too.)

I suspect some sort of very good anti wheel slip software at work with phenomenal performance traction motors rather than the simple physics of vehicle mass and torque, but what do I know...

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I'll give them their due, with dry rail, I've not been as impressed by acceleration from a train since my first journeys on Cl.333 and Cl.360. (The second divert kicking in on 40145 was pretty awesome too.)

Oxymoron alert......

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

We have 755402 doing test runs from Harwich to Dovercourt as 5Q57/58 tonight. Assuming its driver training and route clearing for the Harwich-Cambridge services.

Thanks

Harwich to Dovercourt?  Seems a bit odd to just tootle up and down that little bit (less than a mile) - is more about 'testing' stopping distances or clearances etc at Harwich I wonder?

We had this discussion last night. The cambridge service stops at Parkeston (Harwich International) and then returns to cambridge from there. As far as we know there are no plans to continue it to Harwich

town, so why there? But it's just dawned on me that AGA are building their new depot on land, on the down side, between Dovercourt and Parkeston which will have a wheel laith and other maintenance services. Maybe it's in readiness for that?

• Informative/Useful 3

25 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Was the issue of 2 FLIRTs not being allowed to pass each other in a tunnel (Ipswich I think?) ever resolved, or is that still a restriction? Has NR had to alter the track a little bit, or was it just a paper exercise to verify the clearance? 

Just an initial restriction we believe until the first tests were done and subsequently they found they were over reacting. Though, thinking about it, I've yet to signal 1 in each direction through the tunnel. Hmmm

Thanks

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

We had this discussion last night. The cambridge service stops at Parkeston (Harwich International) and then returns to cambridge from there. As far as we know there are no plans to continue it to Harwich

town, so why there? But it's just dawned on me that AGA are building their new depot on land, on the down side, between Dovercourt and Parkeston which will have a wheel laith and other maintenance services. Maybe it's in readiness for that?

5Q58/67 only went to Dovercourt because of timing constraints on the single line, on the later 5Q68/69 we went all the way to Harwich Town.

Dovercourt & Harwich Town platforms are only being tested for future proofing at the moment though, nothing to do with the new Parkeston depot.

Edited by Shwam3
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 minutes ago, Shwam3 said:

5Q58/67 only went to Dovercourt because of timing constraints on the single line, on the later 5Q68/69 we went all the way to Harwich Town.

Dovercourt & Harwich Town platforms are only being tested for future proofing at the moment though, nothing to do with the new Parkeston depot.

Were you 1 of the drivers on board?