Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

mileage accumulation on 745006 is ramping up - expect the second 745 in service soon.

006 did two test runs today, Norwich - Ipswich and back

Deep joy, not looking forward to journeys to stowmarket on them let alone going pass to London 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Deep joy, not looking forward to journeys to stowmarket on them let alone going pass to London 

But they are beautiful, new trains with more space to make them really comfortable which the DfT claim is what we all want!

Shame they forgot to make the seats bearable.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Suzie said:

Just have to take a cushion with me next time I take the train.

What, for next time you get a Cl.90 / Mk.3 or unrefurbished 321 set, where the seats are all so knackered that the bottom seat cushion seems to want to spend more time slid out onto the floor than attached to the chair frame?

(Regular London - Colchester commuter speaking)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, justin1985 said:

What, for next time you get a Cl.90 / Mk.3 or unrefurbished 321 set, where the seats are all so knackered that the bottom seat cushion seems to want to spend more time slid out onto the floor than attached to the chair frame?

(Regular London - Colchester commuter speaking)

They aren't knackered they clip back in. Or if they have been kicked the wood on the seat base may have split but the seats themselves are perfectly serviceable. 

Those seats in refurbished 321s are horrendous 

34 minutes ago, russ p said:

Those seats in refurbished 321s are horrendous 

Definitely better than effectively sitting on the floor on the original 321 seats! I never understood why that generation of BR trains had such weirdly low seats - many class 150s seem to have the same abominations. I always seek out the refurbished Renatus set within a 8 or 12 car formation of 321s.

IMG_20200113_094938.jpg.7552e5a189bc707abecc3a10df9363f6.jpg

My first commute on a new 745 set this morning. First thoughts : seats are very upright, but well contoured and comfortable. The leather headrest in standard feels just right. Definitely more comfortable than an IEP / Azuma seat, in my opinion. And obviously lightyears ahead of the Thameslink 700 seats

Inside feels less spacious than continental FLIRTs I've travelled on, but of course that's the loading gauge. The strut from the seat in front does somewhat limit the legroom of the window side airline seats though. The tray tables also seem a bit small - I thought I'd heard they had a pull out section for laptops, but none in evidence. They do have notches to help prop up a tablet though. And no shortage of 4 facing table seats.

Small touch I quite liked : vestibule doors stayed open during boarding, rather than constantly opening and closing, but then shut when the outside doors shut. Not sure how that would work out on a cold windy platform, rather than at Liverpool Street. The acceleration is very impressive. This service picked up several minutes of delays between Liverpool Street and Stratford, but seemed to start making them back up quite quickly.

Justin

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

The train I was on was the 10.00 Norwich service, which is first stop Colchester (due after about 47 mins). I saw another Stadler unit just now on way back toward London, which would have been the 15.00 Norwich from Liverpool Street. I didn't get to see it's number so unsure if it's the same unit working the same diagram?

Either way that suggests it/they are working the xx.00 fast departures, but not yet the xx.30 which stop at Stratford and Chelmsford, which might be better if you wanted a shorter jaunt.

Interestingly my train back to London, significantly delayed ("due to train late from depot") 15.30 ex Colchester (14.30 ex Norwich) is a MK3 set "the wrong way around" - DVT facing London and first class at the back. I think this might actually be the first time I've seen this on GA Intercity services?

How would they have even turned it around at all? I can't think of any electrified triangle of track on the GE route?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

The train I was on was the 10.00 Norwich service, which is first stop Colchester (due after about 47 mins). I saw another Stadler unit just now on way back toward London, which would have been the 15.00 Norwich from Liverpool Street. I didn't get to see it's number so unsure if it's the same unit working the same diagram?

Either way that suggests it/they are working the xx.00 fast departures, but not yet the xx.30 which stop at Stratford and Chelmsford, which might be better if you wanted a shorter jaunt.

Interestingly my train back to London, significantly delayed ("due to train late from depot") 15.30 ex Colchester (14.30 ex Norwich) is a MK3 set "the wrong way around" - DVT facing London and first class at the back. I think this might actually be the first time I've seen this on GA Intercity services?

How would they have even turned it around at all? I can't think of any electrified triangle of track on the GE route?

There are electrified triangles at Norwich,  manningtree and Stratford 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Red faces - 755325 was only delivered last Thursday and (I think) this was it's first outing, it got as far as Diss - at least it was in the loop so out of the way. 37800 was despatched and rescued it.

Great Moulton

13 January 2020

37800, Cassiopeia, and 755325 on 1Z99, 14:30, Diss - Norwich C.Pt - 755325 failed at Diss

DAS847830.jpg.0c15f1d7e48b5a3645bd928989bd476d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not that those are stats to be proud of, but how did they do on PPM?

55% within 59 seconds of advertised actually doesn't strike me as *that* bad on it's own, it's more how bad the other 45% performed. And we know things weren't great...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Not that those are stats to be proud of, but how did they do on PPM?

55% within 59 seconds of advertised actually doesn't strike me as *that* bad on it's own, it's more how bad the other 45% performed. And we know things weren't great...

I would agree that the normal within 5 minutes of right time figure would be much fairer and easier to compare to other TOCs. 

• RMweb Gold

The lunchtime BBC Look East local news are having a bash about Greater Anglia’s poor performance of the new trains and it’s affect on signalling.  I’m pretty sure that it’s not going to be favourable :unsure::unsure:

Edited by jools1959
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

The lunchtime BBC Look East local news are having a bash about Greater Anglia’s poor performance of the new trains and it’s affect on signalling.  I’m pretty sure that it’s not going to be favourable :unsure::unsure:

What effect? :laugh_mini:

it’s not their fault :lol_mini:

22 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Within 59 seconds is a ridiculous figure to expect. Who would expect that accuracy on a car journey? 

Stewart

Or the other forms of transport with which rail competes, ie bus, coach, taxi, air (the last not really in East Anglia however !)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't - I cannot guarantee to within 10 minutes when my local buses will turn up, so I am always at the stop at least 5 minutes before it is officially due. Although, because only a few key stops are actually timing points, I have to guestimate when it is due in the first place. And people moan about railway timekeeping !

• Like 2