Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, road traffic is not regulated in thee same way as rail. Ar recent example. It usually takes about a minute or so to get from Newtown bus station to the main road, through one set of traffic lights. The other day it took ten because of road works fouling up the traffic. Hardly the bus operator's fault - two sets of road works which in a properly regulated universe (or on the railway) would not have happened at the same time.

Anyway, time to get back on topic - or is that on schedule.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Naughty Basils.

20/01/20

Harling Road

37800, Cassiopeia, 755419 and 755406 on 5Q14, 12:40, Cambridge T.&R.S.M.D. - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (14:28)

DAS848358.jpg.feac2211e536169dc9b6a0da79b97342.jpg

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Naughty Basils.

20/01/20

Harling Road

37800, Cassiopeia, 755419 and 755406 on 5Q14, 12:40, Cambridge T.&R.S.M.D. - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (14:28)

DAS848358.jpg.feac2211e536169dc9b6a0da79b97342.jpg

I don't think I can ever remember new trains that are so unreliable,  the 143s weren't this bad.

Get the snailwell firing tunnel up and running again,  mind with these things they might just shrink like teenager girls used to shrink crisp bags in the 80s. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, russ p said:

Get the snailwell firing tunnel up and running again,  mind with these things they might just shrink like teenager girls used to shrink crisp bags in the 80s. 

Not just girls  :blush:

1 hour ago, russ p said:

I don't think I can ever remember new trains that are so unreliable,  the 143s weren't this bad.

I can. In comparison to the Networkers introduction they are a model of reliability...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Titan said:

I can. In comparison to the Networkers introduction they are a model of reliability...

I couldn't agree more. Lots of fleets have troubled introductions. This saga has just been compounded by GA having to hand backthe existing units by a certain date meaning a rushed introduction of the Stadlers. A more cautious approach would probably have paid off.

Seem to be a management and planning issue as much as anything else. Though there is a rumor (and it might well be just that!) that some skimping on a certain software package on the units has taken place.  

Edited by admiles
  • Agree 3

Had my first proper trip on the flirts today. By and large a very pleasing experience, what struck me which has been said before is the acceleration, by gum do they take off. Having a quick nose around it seems that T-keys/ carriage keys aren't all that welcome on the new class 755, saying that looking at emergency stop handle requires a T-key to reset the system. 

Still good to see the last strong hold of Class 156 415 going for a bit longer, I'll try to make an trip on a class 156 within East Anglia before they all go.

Edited by 17A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Update :

745010 entered service today on 1P15, 07:40, Norwich - Liv Street - thats two in service now. (7 and 10)

First rake of Mark 3s went to Newport for scrapping yesterday, from Neville Hill.

Another rake is VSTP'ed to Neville Hill this morning and some more are going for scrap next week, not sure if it's todays rake or another rake directly from Norwich.

Another 156 leaves today, then it will be down to 2 left and 1 x 170/2 which all leave next week so the Basils need to step up their game.

Edited by beast66606
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Update :

745010 entered service today on 1P15, 07:40, Norwich - Liv Street - thats two in service now. (7 and 10)

First rake of Mark 3s went to Newport for scrapping yesterday, from Neville Hill.

Another rake is VSTP'ed to Neville Hill this morning and some more are going for scrap next week, not sure if it's todays rake or another rake directly from Norwich.

Another 156 leaves today, then it will be down to 2 left and 1 x 170/2 which all leave next week so the Basils need to step up their game.

The 755s seem to be settling down a bit. Certainly there seems to be a lot less "traffic" on the FB groups, etc about failures. Unless, of course, people are just getting bored of reporting them.

The 745s appear to be a bit more reliable than their bi-mode siblings. That said I believe 755 007 was a failure this morning.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, admiles said:

The 755s seem to be settling down a bit. Certainly there seems to be a lot less "traffic" on the FB groups, etc about failures. Unless, of course, people are just getting bored of reporting them.

The 745s appear to be a bit more reliable than their bi-mode siblings. That said I believe 755 007 was a failure this morning.

Yes, 745007 was taken out of service while getting ready to work 1P33, 11:30, Norwich - Liv St, 745010 seems to be performing well.

755s are still being Basil but are getting better.

Edited by beast66606
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sat in two meetings in the yard at Ely yesterday, l got myself a window seat. Watched a few Basils going back and forth, and then saw the thunderbird 37 pass up road, ah a Basil has sat down l thought. Sure enough it returned down road about 2 hours later hauling two dead Basils.....

l hear they are a bit incontinent too..

Andy g

• Funny 2

lets be honest

seems like GA can no longer hide behind the " Signalling problem" any longer the bio trains are kack maybe over complicated and they do not work. Even if someone from GA comes on here to defend them they do not work well at all. people might say they are settling down are they? the ones  service are helped by the 2 156 and 1 170 are helping whilst they changing  the 755 which have faults. One coulnt move out of norwich without failing and that was under test. Now seems people cant say anything as its classed as a derogatory comment

13 hours ago, Bad79 said:

lets be honest

Yes, lets.

Personally, I think they are starting to settle down.

A whole fleet of new trains with good reliability from day one... historically, has that ever happened?

Like them or loathe them, we're stuck with them.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Today marks the first day of all rural services operated by Basils, none of the "old" units are allocated to work. Additionally Basil(don) Bond (755407) is entering service today.

Paths in for the surviving 156s and 170 to move away this week (on Monday and Friday) - so Basils only from then on.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 Basils have failed this morning. The peterborough unit 755422didnt make it out of colchester and 1P12 with was a 755/4 has failed at Manningtree and just been dragged back into Colchester Up loop by 1Z99 37611 Pegasus. 37 currently awaiting a runround.

Just found out that 2w08 failed at stowmarket earlier this morning too, so that's 3 faulty Basils today.

Thanks

Edited by Siggie in the east
Found another failure
  • Informative/Useful 2