Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

22 January 2020

Eccles Road

156902 on 1R72, 18:57, Norwich - Nottingham (21:32) - transferred from GA to EMR on 20/01/2020

DAS848625.jpg.703a24ba20d443cf05bc8282ccb42424.jpgDAS848633.jpg.06cd49ed77ad7b872baaf23e2177f13b.jpg

At least that one almost looks like it's been cleaned unlike, I think, 156909 pictured here at Nottingham on the 20th. 156912 has had the vinyls scraped off in places showing previous paint colours, Central trains green and possibly RR pale grey as well

IMG_20200120_124922723.jpg.17e6887901a0ec868d28262297695d8d.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A Basil has sat down at Kennett this morning on the 05:10, Ipswich - Cambridge and other services are affected now.

37800 which was en-route to Harwich looks to be ready for "5-4-3-2-1, Thunderbirds are go !"

Not a good start to the week.

Edit :

2W00 has run forward as 5W00 and has reversed at Soham

5P04 which is 37611 dragging a unit from (06:29) Colchester to Norwich is stuck at Colchester as the Basil brakes won't release.

37800 is heading for Bury where it will presumably reverse and continue to Harwich  but ...

Edited by beast66606
Add more info
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Europhoenix at least are making some money out of the situation... they are going to need more 37’s at this rate... reminds me a bit of the sprinter scratch rakes... anyone got any coaches?

andy g

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

A Basil has sat down at Kennett this morning on the 05:10, Ipswich - Cambridge and other services are affected now.

37800 which was en-route to Harwich looks to be ready for "5-4-3-2-1, Thunderbirds are go !"

Not a good start to the week.

Edit :

2W00 has run forward as 5W00 and has reversed at Soham

5P04 which is 37611 dragging a unit from (06:29) Colchester to Norwich is stuck at Colchester as the Basil brakes won't release.

37800 is heading for Bury where it will presumably reverse and continue to Harwich  but ...

37800 running as 0Q09 to Parkeston as we speak.

• Informative/Useful 1

Lordy, what a mess! 

Fortunately my morning commute was one of the turned back Cambridge jobs and picked up the stranded London pax. 

Curiously, the pid was showing the service as being made-up of seven coaches! There wasn't a front/rear three/four for Needham faff, a four car rolled in. 

Unless its left a three car behind somewhere..?! 

C6T. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 26/01/2020 at 07:23, Pete 75C said:

Yes, lets.

Personally, I think they are starting to settle down.

A whole fleet of new trains with good reliability from day one... historically, has that ever happened?

Like them or loathe them, we're stuck with them.

No a whole fleet has never been replaced putting all eggs in one basket as GA found out to their cost. 100's and 100's of people have now taken to cars/busses other modes of transport because of the poor service. I understand we are stuck with them but a persons view from the front( not that means much now days) line is they are still not that good stupid little faults which should not be happening PA fault is a common one and Door fault

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Legend said:

As this is a fairly long thread which I'm sure will contain the answer somewhere, will you forgive me in asking , how do we get the name "basil"?

Basil and Sybil Fawlty (Faulty).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Legend said:

As this is a fairly long thread which I'm sure will contain the answer somewhere, will you forgive me in asking , how do we get the name "basil"?

By being faulty (fawlty) boom boom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siggie in the east said:

Now in Stowmaket loop.

Cheers - I decided that 156416 being transferred to EMR was worthy as it's last GA move and went for that, whereas a Basil failing ... ;)

Edited by beast66606
expanded 416 text
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Looks like Europhoenix at least are making some money out of the situation... they are going to need more 37’s at this rate... reminds me a bit of the sprinter scratch rakes... anyone got any coaches?

andy g

I wonder if is still a thousand quid a time for rescue (I've an idea it might have been increased to £2,000 some years back).  So there's good money in rescue simply to clear the line.  Then if you are charging to haul a cripple unit back to depot there's another charge on top of the 'clear the line'  - ir t was a great way to get some cash in back in the days when I was hiring out 37s for such work.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

andy g

And we get some GA/GEML 37 action following the departure of the DRS 37's. 

As both Bachmann and now Accurscale do Europhoenix 37's we just need need some unmotorised RTR FLIRT models to pull back and forth!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Bad79 said:

No a whole fleet has never been replaced putting all eggs in one basket as GA found out to their cost. 100's and 100's of people have now taken to cars/busses other modes of transport because of the poor service. I understand we are stuck with them but a persons view from the front( not that means much now days) line is they are still not that good stupid little faults which should not be happening PA fault is a common one and Door fault

Ok, so what would you have GA do about it then?  Just curious...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad79 said:

Great Northern replaced all the Kings Lynn trains in one fell swoop with 387s a couple of years back. I think it was noted at the time as the first wholesale fleet replacement. Mind you, they were secondhand (but not very old) from the Bedford services.

Stewart

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if is still a thousand quid a time for rescue (I've an idea it might have been increased to £2,000 some years back).  So there's good money in rescue simply to clear the line.  Then if you are charging to haul a cripple unit back to depot there's another charge on top of the 'clear the line'  - ir t was a great way to get some cash in back in the days when I was hiring out 37s for such work.

When I started on the tube in the early years of PPP (which didn't last long!) I was told by one of the Depot Mangers, that if there was a train sent out with a faulty internal light, they were fined £1500 (obviously if spotted by a mystery shopper).

Stewart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad79 said:

6 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Great Northern replaced all the Kings Lynn trains in one fell swoop with 387s a couple of years back. I think it was noted at the time as the first wholesale fleet replacement. Mind you, they were secondhand (but not very old) from the Bedford services.

Stewart

Whole fleets have been replaced several times before either GA or GN replaced theirs (and GN still have 365s in service so not a complete replacement anyway).  357s on C2C, 185s on TPE, 460s on GX to name but three instances of complete replacement of what went before

Edited by DY444

Strictly speaking it hasn't been a complete fleet replacement, more accurately the time between having new units available and not enough old ones as backup has been incredibly swift. A perfect storm of faults found and contractual obligations if you like with no wriggle room for additional needs such as staff familiarisation etc. 

Personally I've found the whole experience mildly annoying at times but given the woes of the world, a near miss at a level crossing aside, it's small potatoes.

C6T. 

• Like 1

When GN replaced the trains to Kings Lynn with 387s, it was a swift overnight replacement of all trains north of Ely (and possibly intended to include Cambridge as well, though there were a few nb trains that teminated at Ely that had some 365 use). There have been odd single workings of 365s, which are used elsewhere, but the changeover basically was overnight. But the units had previously been in use on Bedford services for a short while

I think you could say fleet replacements everywhere normally tend to be incremental, introducing one or more trains coming into use over a period of time.

Every cloud...eh?!

Some folk are quick to forget the past but frankly I'll take my chances with these than suffer a wedged 153 in summer ever again. 

A bridge bash at Needham is far more frustrating and that's of no consequence to what should be running on the metals over it. 

C6T. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admiles said:

Ok, so what would you have GA do about it then?  Just curious...

Maybe there should have been a slower change over from old to new there was too much hast to change with the old stock going and costs mounting up. When the Class 170 came into Eastanglia there was back up in the 150/153. However here there was nothing most had gone and the 37's when they had finished the RHTT were not re-hired on a spot basis  again i would suspect down to cost

1 hour ago, DY444 said:

Whole fleets have been replaced several times before either GA or GN replaced theirs (and GN still have 365s in service so not a complete replacement anyway).  357s on C2C, 185s on TPE, 460s on GX to name but three instances of complete replacement of what went before

i was going on what a previous poster had put to me, i also think GA had said this a couple of times

Is it not the case that most if not all the trains mentioned were built by companys who had experience with the uk market. Maybe with the Stadler the trust was too much and not fully understanding the uk market and systems

5 minutes ago, Bad79 said:

Is it not the case that most if not all the trains mentioned were built by companys who had experience with the uk market. Maybe with the Stadler the trust was too much and not fully understanding the uk market and systems

Hmm... if companies with experience in the U.K. market are so much better, why is GA’s brand-new Bombardier fleet so far behind schedule? At least the Stadlers are on the tracks (even if so many are stationary when they shouldn’t be).

I don’t think nationalism is the issue in this sorry saga. 

Paul

• Like 4