Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

All this angst arose from a simple observation by myself, to the effect that I found the audible warning device fitted to the 'Flirts' to be excessively loud - and I remain of that opinion, despite a flurry of ruffled feathers from certain quarters.

I asked no-one to agree with me - clearly some do not - but it is an opinion to which I am entitled.

End of my input.

CJI.

Oh absolutely, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I neither expect or want you to change it.  But you should realise that if the foundation of your opinion was as deep as the hole you were prepared to dig for yourself, it might not of ended up being so contentious.

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't it one of the early nuclear power station projects where bicycle shed syndrome was first identified? The minutes of the project progress meetings were dominated by details of the bike sheds, they were the only thing people felt comfortable to discuss :-)

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 47137 said:

Wasn't it one of the early nuclear power station projects where bicycle shed syndrome was first identified? The minutes of the project progress meetings were dominated by details of the bike sheds, they were the only thing people felt comfortable to discuss :-)

- Richard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I had another day trip to Norwich today. On the outward leg I joined the 0800 ex-LST at Colchester. It was a comfortable journey. I do like the raised seats, you get a view much like the view from a Mk3.

Nothing much new to report here. The PA system asked a member of the train crew to go to coach B, where I was the only passenger. This message seemed to be associated with the toilet.

My return leg began with the 14:00 from Norwich and this was formed by a class 720 Stansted Express set. Talking with a member of the train staff, this substitution was not because of a fault on the expected class 745, but rather because the 745 was working the Stansted Express service. The 745 sets being more suited to the airport service than the 720 sets, at least at the moment. "Probably a software issue, it always is".

I was a bit miffed because I had bought a first class ticket (very cheap advance purchase); but then again it was only £4 extra. But I had had a marvellous visit to Great Eastern Models, my first visit to a model shop since February last year. Bus number 23A or 24 from outside Norwich station. I left with a large carrier bag and a dent in my debit card :-))

- Richard.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Tivetshall
29/06/2021 (Tuesday)
37601, Perseus, and 745103 on 5P37, 16:30, Parkeston H.S. - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (19:04) - 745103 failed at London Tottenham Hale on 11/06/2021 and was dragged to Parkeston for temporary storage

No horns were hurt taking this picture.

DAS885794.jpg.6f5c9e45b29d94e0782f89fd6e82a4af.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Here is 'Perseus' passing through Colchester North yesterday on its way to collect 745103:

P1030455a.JPG.073d55ae3f8ee10dad56705865cc0798.JPG

I was waiting for my connecting train, and a bit surprised to hear and then see a class 37 light engine hurtling towards me. So the loco was travelling away from me by the time I framed the shot.

- Richard.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

3 unit sets had been on test on Monday 12/07/21 and Tuesday 13/07, running on an empty stock/testing headcodes, 5Qxx, but on Weds / Thurs and Fri (14-16/07) they worked "unadvertised passenger services" test runs on 9G0x headcodes.

Great Moulton
15/07/2021 (Thursday)
755412, 755416 and 755325 on 9G06, 14:31, Ipswich - Norwich T.C. (15:24) - unadvertised passenger service test run

DAS887266.jpg.57aeb853d117b4182c998c4df0d6748b.jpg

(Paraphrased) Clarification from one of the good guys at GA

"9Gxx codes are used when a test run involves splitting or joining en route

Edited by beast66606
Clarification from a GA good guy
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Glad no-one was hurt.

With the Hornby model due out soon someone could use a fishtank pump and some imagination to recreate this for a cakebox challenge!

• Like 2

On 28/06/2021 at 07:53, STONECOLDSMILE1882 said:

And in YHO exactly what ethnic group are these Rednecks???? Go on…..? I have a friend very interested in your reply, from a professionally legal view point! 

On this date, Stonecoldsmil1882 went into an empty room and managed to start an argument with someone.

I thought *I* needed to relax more.

• Round of applause 1

On 01/02/2022 at 18:01, Trainshed Terry said:

Question.

When these units are running on the power pack. (PP), is there rheostat (regenerative braking) still operational. 

Thank You in advanced for answer.

Terry.

Yes, in fact the rheostatic brake is primarily used in diesel mode. With the pantograph raised the trains primarily use regenerative braking instead, only falling back the the rheo brake through neutral sections. The 745s don't have a rheo brake at all, only regen, so have to fall back to pneumatic braking through neutral sections.

35 minutes ago, Shwam3 said:

The 745s don't have a rheo brake at all, only regen, so have to fall back to pneumatic braking through neutral sections.

I wonder how that works?  I would expect there to be a delay before the pneumatic brakes became effective as they are not instant, and at high speed they would have barely started to apply before the neutral section is cleared and it would be time to switch back to regen again, not to mention that on/off/on nature of the braking would not exactly contribute to a smooth experience.

• Agree 1