Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Just wondering if the three car can be extended to a four car at a later date, or s the bogie body mounting different?

Good question. The powered bogies are under the cabs, the articulated bogies are just taking the weight, so from that perspective there's no reason why not. But without seeing inside on how the coaches and engine unit are attached the bogies (and if it's the same for both) then tough to tell... but would make sense for commonality of parts...

11 hours ago, uax6 said:

There was a booked test run to Lynn today, no-idea if it ran, or which unit was used.

andy g

Curious: their KL-Liverpool St peak-only route is all-electrified (currently using a 4-car Electrostar or ancient BR-era EMU).

Are they really intending to serve this route with a bi-mode?

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fenman said:

Curious: their KL-Liverpool St peak-only route is all-electrified (currently using a 4-car Electrostar or ancient BR-era EMU).

Are they really intending to serve this route with a bi-mode?

Paul

I really don’t know, I have heard on the jungle drums that the electrostars (387s or are Anglias the 379s?) are looking to be replaced with these. The 317 looks to be remaining at the minute (I was told that these are owned not leased, so are nice and cheap to run, but that might be wrong). I have to say that it does sound bonkers to run these bi modes down to lynn, but maybe we will get a lynn Norwich service once more?

andy g

• Like 1

It could be that they're planning a new route using them (KL - Norwich? Ipswich even?).

Or it could just be that they want them to be able to run on their whole network, but in practice it'd be rather unusual for one to get to KL.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Just wondering if the three car can be extended to a four car at a later date, or s the bogie body mounting different?

They possibly could but the three car only has two engines and the four car four

• RMweb Gold

Couple more from yesterday

29 August 2019

Eccles Road

755410 on 1K67, 09:40, Norwich - Cambridge (10:56)DAS829517.jpg.e5f11ed2e541a582023a8ff4983a9155.jpg

Tivetshall

755409 on 5Q44, 12:47, Bounds Green T&R.S.M.D - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (15:42) - first 755 to have tyres turned at B.G, had a wheel flat on delivery

DAS829670.jpg.8ee9ef2f499eb4412459726b8d59fea6.jpg

• Like 5

You'd expect that the power pack things could either be replaced or modified to include the extra engines. But it's hard to see why it would be needed whilst new vehicles will be economically viable. They're replacing 1 and 2 car trains, so it's a pretty huge increase in capacity which will take a while to be filled.

• RMweb Gold

This “power pack thingy” just seems like a gimmick to encourage sales, rather than a practical purpose.

removing one of those would be a pain, I dont see the value add it offers over the powerpacks current in use at the front of TPEs new service over the pennines, or indeed the powerpacks used on the london end of GAs current Norwich-London services.

I wonder if they could provide a 12m long power pack to provide the output to a dusty bin? Set to the power voltage required after the transformer but at 50hz to avoid the problems with the 319 conversion. And the same size as a four car 156. 

33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

This “power pack thingy” just seems like a gimmick to encourage sales, rather than a practical purpose.

removing one of those would be a pain, I dont see the value add it offers over the powerpacks current in use at the front of TPEs new service over the pennines, or indeed the powerpacks used on the london end of GAs current Norwich-London services.

And yet the reviewers all comment on how smooth and quiet the ride is (presumably compared to underfloor packs, which would be the alternative?). The battle for LHCS seems to have been lost a long time ago - a handful of TPE trains excepted. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not the best day for Flirts today

755413 sat down at Brandon on it's maiden voyage this morning, cancelled and set back to Crown Point ECS - resulting in a missing Cambridge service all day so far -so it achieved 2537 miles 57 chains of fault free running.

755422 spent 20 minutes snoozing at Cantley.

Edited by beast66606
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Not the best day for Flirts today

755413 sat down at Brandon on it's maiden voyage this morning, cancelled and set back to Crown Point ECS - resulting in a missing Cambridge service all day so far -so it achieved 2537 miles 57 chains of fault free running.

755422 spent 20 minutes snoozing at Cantley.

Are the faults logged and available for public consumption Skip? Not looking great is it. Two or three more laps around Wildenrath might've exorcised the gremlins, though Stadler are probably stating "infrastructure incompatibility".

Going pop prior to introduction to service doesn't bode well. Reminiscent of pilot scheme diesels some might say...

C6T. 

8 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Are the faults logged and available for public consumption Skip? Not looking great is it. Two or three more laps around Wildenrath might've exorcised the gremlins, though Stadler are probably stating "infrastructure incompatibility".

Going pop prior to introduction to service doesn't bode well. Reminiscent of pilot scheme diesels some might say...

C6T. 

FLIRTs are very tried and tested on the continent, so what have they had to do different to get them in our loading gauge?...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

Don't think the issues are public as such although the public will be more than aware of them.

On 29/08/2019 at 09:25, beast66606 said:

170270 and 170207 have both been debranded and are on Crown Point (thanks to Mike W on Facebook) - presumably awaiting a move to Cardiff - these are the first Flirt casualties although I'm not sure GA can really spare them, I guess the agreement dictates they must.

Edit : Saturday is rumoured to be the day they move.

The 1717 Great Yarmouth-Liverpool St yesterday (Fri 30th) was a single Class 153, and this at a time of day with an hour's gap in the service.......To say it was cosy would be an understatement ! The sooner more new sets are in service the better.

And this morning (Sat 31st), I was surprised to see the 0540 Norwich-Lowestoft formed by an East Midlands Class 158.....Is this a diagram, or a long time hire ? I wouldn't have expected GA Crews to sign Class 158s either.

On 25/08/2019 at 08:03, justin1985 said:

Someone just posted this video to the GER Society eGroup, showing the units on store at the Mid Norfolk railway.

Watching the seemingly endless line of coaches go past, punctuated by coloured strips, is pretty mesmerising!

Kind of reminds me of this!

But what do all the colour strips mean? It's back to the tradition of the Liverpool Street Jazz Trains! Yellow is obviously first class. And I thought I saw a disabled accessible logo within one of the blue strips. So what is green?

J

That’s a whole lot of trains.

a very neat and tidy cess too

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/08/2019 at 19:09, Siggie in the east said:

Cl158s form a return service to Lowestoft every morning except Sundays. They do the return working and then form the next (second) service to Liverpool lime st. Cant remember the head codes I'm afraid.

Thanks

2J60, 2J61 and 1R66

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, russ p said:

They are another unit short now now , I took 156412 to Doncaster yesterday for overhaul so it maybe there some time

Also 170207 is now at Cardiff and part of TfW. They've managed to hang on to 170270 for a few more days.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Tomorrow - Monday - GA are aiming for fully 755 operated Great Yarmouth diagrams and are also aiming for 2 of the Cambridge / Norwich workings (I'm guessing the first working off Cambridge will be the 170 operated one) to be 755 too - so an ambitious day looms ...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3